Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Poms, British or English?

Are Poms, British or English?

Old Aug 28th 2004, 3:09 pm
PommieLeague

Default Are Poms, British or English?

I was born in Manchester and im white but I never acknowledge that Im English. I feel and am proudly British, so why all the hype and nonsense about 'we are all english'?

Wasnt England an ancient nation, but gave up its sovereignty when the Union was created?
It annoys me also when people refer to the whole of the UK as "England'.
So are poms Brits or Anglos? Same thing?

Old Aug 28th 2004, 3:13 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Poms, British or English?

Originally Posted by Lathlain
I was born in Manchester and im white but I never acknowledge that Im English. I feel and am proudly British, so why all the hype and nonsense about 'we are all english'?

Wasnt England an ancient nation, but gave up its sovereignty when the Union was created?

Traditionally i think poms are english.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/pommy.htm
Old Aug 28th 2004, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be proud to be British but now realise that British is now just something the government puts on the passport which they give to all and sundry (wherever they originate).

English is what I am, they can never water that down or take it away from me.

Keel
Old Aug 28th 2004, 3:56 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
I used to be proud to be British but now realise that British is now just something the government puts on the passport which they give to all and sundry (wherever they originate).

Keel

well i am Scottish but still proud to be British.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 4:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
well i am Scottish but still proud to be British.
'British' encompassess a lot more than just the English. Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, Manx and Channel Islanders who are all part of the British family.

Plus those from the Overseas Territories - Gibraltarians, Falkland Islanders, Bermudians etc.

And in response to someone else - yes, British is an open nationality like American and Australian, and has absorbed many different groups of people over the centuries.

Jeremy
Old Aug 28th 2004, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
'British' encompassess a lot more than just the English. Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, Manx and Channel Islanders who are all part of the British <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=family&v=55">family</a>.

Plus those from the Overseas Territories - Gibraltarians, Falkland Islanders, Bermudians etc.

And in response to someone else - yes, British is an open nationality like American and Australian, and has absorbed many different groups of <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=people&v=55">people</a> over the centuries.

Jeremy
i was lead to believe by an a friend living in aus ,that the term pom..pome...meant 'prisoner of mother england', anyone else heard that ?
Old Aug 28th 2004, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
'British' encompassess a lot more than just the English. Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, Manx and Channel Islanders who are all part of the British family.

And in response to someone else - yes, British is an open nationality like American and Australian, and has absorbed many different groups of people over the centuries.

Jeremy

an open nationality? please explain?
Old Aug 28th 2004, 4:16 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lathlain]

QUOTE]
ha ha ha ha oh that just made me laugh. aye right u gave up what??????

anyway. poms are both, we were all prisoners once and thats where it comes from.

soapy
Old Aug 28th 2004, 4:26 pm

[QUOTE=soapy]

QUOTE]
ha ha ha ha oh that just made me laugh. aye right u gave up what??????

anyway. poms are both, we were all prisoners once and thats where it comes from.

soapy

awright soapy, had two lovely rolls & square this morning, top banana.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 4:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

an open nationality? please explain?
In other words, it's possible for a non-British person to become British by going through the immigration and naturalision process.

Or children born in the UK are British even though the parents are not (although since 1983 at least one parent does have to be a permanent resident of the UK).

Some other nationalities (eg Swiss, Japanese, German) are ethnically based and are much harder to acquire if not born with it, although it's not impossible. And birth in the country usually makes no difference, although the Germans have relaxed their naturalisation processes and the situation for children born in Germany to foreign residents as part of a reform program in 1999/2000.

Jeremy
Old Aug 28th 2004, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
In other words, it's possible for a non-British person to become British by going through the immigration and naturalision process.

Or children born in the UK are British even though the parents are not (although since 1983 at least one parent does have to be a permanent resident of the UK).

Some other nationalities (eg Swiss, Japanese, German) are ethnically based and are much harder to acquire if not born with it, although it's not impossible. And birth in the country usually makes no difference, although the Germans have relaxed their naturalisation processes and the situation for children born in Germany to foreign residents as part of a reform program in 1999/2000.

Jeremy
Cheers for the reply Jeremy.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 2:18 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

awright soapy, had two lovely rolls & square this morning, top banana.
hi stranger, we have just had the same. we have a butcher just round the corner. its magic !!!
i think i ate a bit too much though lol
Old Aug 29th 2004, 2:21 am
Badge

Originally Posted by keel

Keel
that's right. I think you have it.

Old Aug 29th 2004, 8:42 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by debbiemc
i was lead to believe by an a friend living in aus ,that the term pom..pome...meant 'prisoner of mother england', anyone else heard that ?
All immigrants were called Jimmy Grants, later they were refered to as Pommy Grants as a lot of them came in on ships carrying pommygranites.

Slater

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.