Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

pomms at school ?

pomms at school ?

Old Jul 15th 2003, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice Sandra,

I have looked at some of the state schools websites and to be honest I have been quite impressed by a few. I am sure that once we are there we will find everything falls into place, I guess we are so used to worrying about things now, since we applied for the visas that we don't know what to do with ourselves if we are not worrying. :scared:

In an ideal world, we would like to be out there by October / November this year, so that we have time to look around visit schools and areas etc. and have the children start school in January along with all the other kids. But it's the darn visa processing thing! We are more likely not to hear anything about our visas until early next year, and will probably only get over in about March or April next year.

Hazel.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely depends on the area - like the UK. Even within the same area some schools have chronic bullying, some are cuddly and inclusive. You have to hunt about same as here.

Probably true that the more multicultural schools in the bigger cities (nice suburbs) are likely to have policies to deal with bullying and to try to build a friendly school atmosphere.

I'd be wary of private schools unless it's necessary. Generally they really are snobby in Oz (except for small primary schools). Sure they get access to the upper echelons of social strata but that's not necessarily going to make their lives any better.

Three of my brothers went to private school (top schools in Sydney). It gave them the idea that the world was their oyster and life would be easy. Just get a top job, some status symbols and you're there. Actually turned out that good connections are no substitute for hard work and arrogance isn't particularly appealing to the world at large - particularly after the 'greed is good' 80s were over.

My other two brothers who went to state school have always been more hardworking and felt they had to deserve success and that status symbols are not so vital. They've had much better lives, both successful career-wise and family-wise.

I take the view that smart kids will do perfectly well in the state system as long as their parents get involved and make sure the schools are OK and doing their job. Also they learn to get along with a range of kids which is a vital skill in the 'real' world. The snobby schools probably have a place for kids who are both stupid and rich though - they're going to need all the connections money can buy!

Can't count the number of stupid sons of rich people I met working in city banks in London - even a short conversation was enough to ascertain that they were quite dim... then they move into politics later...