Reload this Page >

Pommiesheila's cost of living analysis

Pommiesheila's cost of living analysis

Old Sep 10th 2003, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pommiesheila's cost of living analysis

Originally posted by aussie bloke
No matter where you are in the world, you don't have to go far to find the golden arches of McDonald's. But even if a Big Mac isn't your idea of a great meal, buying one still serves another purpose.

For the past 15 years, the Economist magazine has published the Big Mac Index — a bit of a light-hearted look at whether currency exchange rates are correct or not. The index is based on the international economic theory of purchase power parity (PPP), which says when you compare the price of similar goods and services around the world, the difference should work out to be about the same as the currency exchange rate. Because a Big Mac is a Big Mac no matter where you go, it makes an excellent benchmark.

So how does it work?

Well, in Australia, a Big Mac costs $3.20 — in the US, $2.54 — giving you a P.P.P rate of 1.3. But today, A$1 is only worth about US$0.51 — a currency exchange rate of 1.98. So, what's it all mean? Well, by Big Mac standards, our currency is about 35 percent undervalued — something many people would agree with. We keep company with the likes of the Philippines, China and Thailand in the undervalued stakes, with the most overvalued currencies, the Swiss franc, Danish kroner and the British pound.

Country
Big Mac Prices
Local $US
Implied PPP Exchange Rate Valuation +/-

Philippines Peso 59.00 $1.17 23.2 50.3 -54%
China Yuan 9.90 $1.20 3.90 828 -53%
Thailand Baht 55.0 $1.21 21.7 45.5 -52%
Australia AU $3.20 $1.52 1.30 1.98 -35%
USA US $2.54 $2.54 - - -
UK GBP 1.99 $2.85 1.28 1.43 12%
Denmark DKr 24.75 $2.93 9.74 8.46 15%
Switzerland SFr 6.30 $3.65 2.48 1.73 44%

Do we now need pommiesheila's bread indicator to show wages vs loafs

p.s. these are 2001 prices. (wheat prices were cheaper then)

I always feel left out you did'nt mention the Canadian doller?
or as we call it the "Loony Peso".................. lol.........

(Oh and by the way one of our coins is called a loony (after the duck sad but true)
Old Nov 13th 2003, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

AussieVGopal is an unknown quantity at this point

probably you need to reevaluate the prices now as the dollar appreciate a lot. Would you care to do that please?
Thanks
VG
Originally posted by aussie bloke
No matter where you are in the world, you don't have to go far to find the golden arches of McDonald's. But even if a Big Mac isn't your idea of a great meal, buying one still serves another purpose.

For the past 15 years, the Economist magazine has published the Big Mac Index — a bit of a light-hearted look at whether currency exchange rates are correct or not. The index is based on the international economic theory of purchase power parity (PPP), which says when you compare the price of similar goods and services around the world, the difference should work out to be about the same as the currency exchange rate. Because a Big Mac is a Big Mac no matter where you go, it makes an excellent benchmark.

So how does it work?

Well, in Australia, a Big Mac costs $3.20 — in the US, $2.54 — giving you a P.P.P rate of 1.3. But today, A$1 is only worth about US$0.51 — a currency exchange rate of 1.98. So, what's it all mean? Well, by Big Mac standards, our currency is about 35 percent undervalued — something many people would agree with. We keep company with the likes of the Philippines, China and Thailand in the undervalued stakes, with the most overvalued currencies, the Swiss franc, Danish kroner and the British pound.

Country
Big Mac Prices
Local $US
Implied PPP Exchange Rate Valuation +/-

Philippines Peso 59.00 $1.17 23.2 50.3 -54%
China Yuan 9.90 $1.20 3.90 828 -53%
Thailand Baht 55.0 $1.21 21.7 45.5 -52%
Australia AU $3.20 $1.52 1.30 1.98 -35%
USA US $2.54 $2.54 - - -
UK GBP 1.99 $2.85 1.28 1.43 12%
Denmark DKr 24.75 $2.93 9.74 8.46 15%
Switzerland SFr 6.30 $3.65 2.48 1.73 44%

Do we now need pommiesheila's bread indicator to show wages vs loafs

p.s. these are 2001 prices. (wheat prices were cheaper then)

Old Nov 13th 2003, 12:38 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jeannie
I thought Canada was the only one to have G.S.T. i'ts the most hated tax EVER!! the govenment could'nt manage the revenue they got, so they just made up another tax!!!. our Premier is leaving in the next couple of years, we all wanted to put money in a hat and ship him off sooner !!!! how about OZ ??? LOL
Most hated tax ever? I remember when I lived there and the GST tax had just came out, we were getting GST cheques ever 4 months - usually around CAN$75. To me it was the best tax ever. You still getting those GST cheques?
Old Nov 13th 2003, 12:39 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by april
I always feel left out you did'nt mention the Canadian doller?
or as we call it the "Loony Peso".................. lol.........

(Oh and by the way one of our coins is called a loony (after the duck sad but true)
Don't forget the toony - the $2 coin.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 2:03 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Just for those of you who think wages are great over here...

In the job I had in 1997 in the Uk, if I worked for 1 hour, I could afford to buy 27 loaves of bread.

I went for an interview yesterday for an identical position, and if I were to accept it, I would work 1 hour and be able to buy 5 loaves of bread.

Now I know we didn't come over here to make a fortune, but that really does say a lot about the standard of living.
Surely bread is cheaper in the UK because we pay farming subsidies (in our taxes) to keep it cheap, so the price of bread on the supermarket shelf is not its real price at all?
Old Nov 13th 2003, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jamesy
Bernie

I have a good standard of living in the UK earning a good salary as an Accountant, my husband is an Engineer, so we are comfortable. We do however, live in the Sth East and are really fed up with the traffic, lack of space and inflated house prices! We visited Oz a few years ago and loved it, so have mulled over the idea for migrating for quite some time and applied to migrate earlier this year. I am however, having some doubts reading some of the posts on this site! With hindsight would you still have made the move?
I am in exact same boat as you - I'm an accountant, wife is a midwife/sonographer. We live in Burgess Hill......live comfortable with decent enough jobs, but hey...traffic, house prices, cost of living.......driving me to consider Oz but reading these forums my rose colored specs have turned .....grey.....
Old Nov 13th 2003, 6:53 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Dont turn grey Mr O!!!

LOL!! eeeee, they knew how to argue in them days, dint they!??

Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Get rid of the grey ones, and the rose tinted ones. Reality is its not paradise but then nowhere is!
And I'm sure I'll get shot down for saying it, but I'd rather be here than back in Brighton ANY day......Brisbane wins hands down.

PS Solved the problem of the price of bread by not buying any. I shall dip my finger in the vegemite instead!
Old Nov 14th 2003, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Vee
Most hated tax ever? I remember when I lived there and the GST tax had just came out, we were getting GST cheques ever 4 months - usually around CAN$75. To me it was the best tax ever. You still getting those GST cheques?

You can only get the g.s.t back if you dont earn enough when you do your taxes at the end of the year........if you have a full time job you wont get it......
Old Nov 16th 2003, 6:24 am
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by Olibeneli
I am in exact same boat as you - I'm an accountant, wife is a midwife/sonographer. We live in Burgess Hill......live comfortable with decent enough jobs, but hey...traffic, house prices, cost of living.......driving me to consider Oz but reading these forums my rose colored specs have turned .....grey.....

I think that Accountants do better in the UK generally. One Accountant gave his pay situation recently - search on big 4 or wimbledon.

I am not an Accountant but I worked for KPMG for a while as a consultant. I was glad to leave!