Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pommiesheila's cost of living analysis

Pommiesheila's cost of living analysis

Old Dec 4th 2002, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

but then it depends on how much bread you've had on them and the number of crumbs.

Get a life, buy a dishwasher!!

Originally posted by madmancunian
At last PB - something we can agree that the Brits excel at...

Poms, Irish the quickest at washing up
November 29, 2002

THE British and Irish are Europe's fastest at washing up, while the Turks are the cleanest but use most water, according to a new German study.

Professor Rainer Stamminger of Bonn University tested 75 people from seven different countries to see if there were national differences in the way they performed the task, and how much water and energy they used.

Each of them was given some 140 plates, cups, glasses and other items which had been dirtied and left to dry for two hours so the dirt would harden.

The average washer-up took 90 minutes to complete the task. The British and Irish were fastest, taking just one hour and using 43 litres of water.

The Turks and Spanish were the slowest, needing some 108 minutes to finish the job, with the Turks using 135 litres of water.

There was no discernible difference between the washing-up performances of men and women.

Stamminger said it was surprising how people washed the dishes in different ways. Some filled the basin with clean water only once, others four times.

The study, which is continuing until February, is co-financed by dishwashing machine manufacturers from a number of European countries.

Agence France-Presse
Old Dec 4th 2002, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Pommiesheila's cost of living analysis

Now there's a thought - International Beer Tokens. Where can I sign up??
Old Dec 7th 2002, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jamesy
Bernie

I have a good standard of living in the UK earning a good salary as an Accountant, my husband is an Engineer, so we are comfortable. We do however, live in the Sth East and are really fed up with the traffic, lack of space and inflated house prices! We visited Oz a few years ago and loved it, so have mulled over the idea for migrating for quite some time and applied to migrate earlier this year. I am however, having some doubts reading some of the posts on this site! With hindsight would you still have made the move?
Those are exactly the reasons we left too. We were comfortable on two 'professional' incomes. Only been here for 5 months so our hindsight is perhaps not yet 20/20. Nonetheless, don't regret the move for a minute. Obviously there are things we miss about the UK but overall, wouldn't look back

DPR
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Tannerink is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Nice analysis

Well, I must say, I found the price comparisons very informative. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

We've been looking the globe over to find a place more suited to us, and cost of living is an issue as much as anything else.

No sense getting your knickers in a bunch, everybody has an opinion, and everybody has a place where their loyalties lie.

This information helps us find that place for us.

Thank you very much!!
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

A Pommieshiela post - well that's a blast from the past!
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:01 am
Just Joined

LOL

Found it while trying to find cost of living analysis reports!! LOL
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:25 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see why PB stirred up things. He wasn't one to sit on the fence.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:19 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

What Pommieshiela forgot to say that in the intervening time between buyng the loaves the UK her tastes sky rocketed so from the humble 0.15p value loaf from Tescos she graduated to the the extra wholemeal loaf with added nuts and roughage

She may be paying more for her bread but she has got great digestion.

P.S On the LOAFDAC scale is there any chance of getting some fish prices. If we get the loafs and fishes we can have a big party.

Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:47 am
Merlot

Default Dentists - UK or Australia?

OK, I need to get a crown here in Oz and been quoted AUS$930 plus the AUS$263 already spent. Coming back to the UK to live in March 2004 - should I get it done there????? Is it cheaper??????

Originally posted by Bernard
I find the material standard of living to be lower in Australia than in the UK (there are other non-material aspects of life to be considered too though).

In general I find that food takes up a greater proportion of my pay (I'm a teacher). The idea that fruit (e.g. Mangos) are very expensive in the UK is nonsense; when I lived there (two years ago) I could buy mangos in the supermarket for about 80p (that's about $2.50), pineapples were about £1.50 for a large 'Del Monte' (thats $4.50).

Don't forget that some things in the UK are much cheaper, including dentistry (which is staggeringly expensive in Aus), electronic items and upmarket cars.

To people reading this in the UK I would say that you shouldn't expect a higher material standard of living - you will be disappointed. Australia is not so much 'better' as 'different' - accept that and you've a chance of being happy here.

Bernie

Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I will keep you posted on the cost. I have just had a crown done, and so has hubby. Just waiting for the dreaded bill.

Whisky
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:17 pm
Keelie

Some of the grocery prices in Oz.are startling. In a large Queensland grocery chain, cherries were selling for $16 per kilo, fresh salmon $27.kilo. mango's, avocadoes, double the price of this 'cold' country (Canada).

Fresh meat we found quite tough. My son told me I should have 'marinated' the T-bone steaks..what!!! Sausages... tastless. The bread is not made with hard wheat, and not of the quality we like. A McDonalds burger bun is truly the worst we've ever tasted...somewhere between cotton wool and saps.

In all honesty we expected that fruit and vegetables would be much less than here. One thing that we did find very cheap were pineapples. They're not as flavourful as Hawaiian pineapple, but not at all bad. We expected grapes to be much less than here, they weren't.
As an ordinary consumer I'm not qualified to come up with the reasons for these price disparities, except to say that in N.America our grocery chains have the advantage of buying product from all of the South American countries, Mexico, Chile, Peru,etc., as well as from California and the warm southwestern states. The stores can afford to pass on these lower prices to their customers.

On one occasion we stopped to buy avocadoes from a private grower...the fruit was small and shrivelled-looking, and he wanted $6 for a small bag...no dice.

If I were emigrating to Oz. I'd buy a large enough piece of land and grow my own veg's, and fruit trees.
My son has a huge veg. and herb garden on his rented farmhouse acreage.
Unfortunately most of the tomato plants froze while we were there, the surviving plants are thriving nicely.
Thanks to a suggestion here, we enjoyed a good steak at a restaurant chain..can't remember the name of it..except it was something quirky and daft ?

Incidentally if you are a salad lover, take a couple of salad-spinners with you....we searched high and low for one in son's town...no-one had heard of them....an opportunity for someone to introduce the aussies to the merits of salad-spinners?
Keelie.

Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:14 pm
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

Given the effort, expense and pain associated with a migration is anyone really doing it in the expectation that Oz is a land paved with gold?

I'm going because my Australian friends have convinced me that my attitude to life is very Australian and instead of whining about how unbalanced life in the UK is I should go live with them where they've got it right.

My wife's going because she wants our kids (when we have them)to grow up in some space, instead of in back to back boxes like we all live in.

Who gives a stuff how much bread costs. I've seen loads of fat Australians so food can't be that expensive.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Default as I said.............

As I said before.... cost of living is one concern in moving. Just one. Relax, nearly every place on the planet has it's good points and it's bad points.

Besides, I never said where I was or where it was I was considering, did I? lol
Old Sep 10th 2003, 5:24 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

What's with Resurrecting the High Priestess of Whine? Made even Dotty seem well considered and charming.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 5:25 am
Just Joined

Terribly sorry. I won't post on this string again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.