Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pommiesheila's cost of living analysis

Pommiesheila's cost of living analysis

Old Nov 28th 2002, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Pommiesheila's cost of living analysis

Just for those of you who think wages are great over here...

In the job I had in 1997 in the Uk, if I worked for 1 hour, I could afford to buy 27 loaves of bread.

I went for an interview yesterday for an identical position, and if I were to accept it, I would work 1 hour and be able to buy 5 loaves of bread.

Now I know we didn't come over here to make a fortune, but that really does say a lot about the standard of living.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 10:41 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pommiesheila's cost of living analysis

Originally posted by pommiesheila

In the job I had in 1997 in the Uk, if I worked for 1 hour, I could afford to buy 27 loaves of bread.

I went for an interview yesterday for an identical position, and if I were to accept it, I would work 1 hour and be able to buy 5 loaves of bread.

Now I know we didn't come over here to make a fortune, but that really does say a lot about the standard of living.
No..it just says that bread is more expensive.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

I read a report yesterday that said Australia was shipping Mangos to the UK for the first time. These mangos would get to the UK for xmass, but would cost A$14 - A$16 EACH.

I can get Mangos in Sydney for A$1 to A$2 each. So it just depends on what you compare against.

It's still shocking.

KS

P.S I'm also on a diet which doesn't include bread, so I'm $$'s up.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

Ahhh Bread and dripping s/w. get use to it on your wage.
try another state ! or better still another country.
give us all a break and stop your whinging. ohh so tied of the same retric.

Last edited by aussie bloke; Dec 10th 2002 at 1:51 am.
Old Nov 29th 2002, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by aussie bloke
Ahhh Bread and dripping s/w. get use to it on your wage.
try another state ! or better still another country.
give us all a break and stop your whinging. ohh so tied of the same retric.
So you think it's unreasonable to expect a decent wage for a skilled position then?
Old Nov 29th 2002, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

So you think it's unreasonable to expect a decent wage for a skilled position then?

No matter where you are in the world, you don't have to go far to find the golden arches of McDonald's. But even if a Big Mac isn't your idea of a great meal, buying one still serves another purpose.

For the past 15 years, the Economist magazine has published the Big Mac Index — a bit of a light-hearted look at whether currency exchange rates are correct or not. The index is based on the international economic theory of purchase power parity (PPP), which says when you compare the price of similar goods and services around the world, the difference should work out to be about the same as the currency exchange rate. Because a Big Mac is a Big Mac no matter where you go, it makes an excellent benchmark.

So how does it work?

Well, in Australia, a Big Mac costs $3.20 — in the US, $2.54 — giving you a P.P.P rate of 1.3. But today, A$1 is only worth about US$0.51 — a currency exchange rate of 1.98. So, what's it all mean? Well, by Big Mac standards, our currency is about 35 percent undervalued — something many people would agree with. We keep company with the likes of the Philippines, China and Thailand in the undervalued stakes, with the most overvalued currencies, the Swiss franc, Danish kroner and the British pound.

Country
Big Mac Prices
Local $US
Implied PPP Exchange Rate Valuation +/-

Philippines Peso 59.00 $1.17 23.2 50.3 -54%
China Yuan 9.90 $1.20 3.90 828 -53%
Thailand Baht 55.0 $1.21 21.7 45.5 -52%
Australia AU $3.20 $1.52 1.30 1.98 -35%
USA US $2.54 $2.54 - - -
UK GBP 1.99 $2.85 1.28 1.43 12%
Denmark DKr 24.75 $2.93 9.74 8.46 15%
Switzerland SFr 6.30 $3.65 2.48 1.73 44%

Do we now need pommiesheila's bread indicator to show wages vs loafs

p.s. these are 2001 prices. (wheat prices were cheaper then)

Old Nov 29th 2002, 4:33 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hang on Pommieshiela - you haven't given us much info on the relative complexity/ seniority etc of the 2 jobs or hours worked etc.

Eg I had a job straight out of university located in in Hong Kong and earned the equivalent of (say) 25 loaves of bread/ hr but as a (say) customer services rep now in NZ I'd earn the equiv of just 10 loaves /hr.

Your anecdote doesn't mean much without more data.
Old Nov 29th 2002, 5:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

would you like to see my collection of shovels?
Old Nov 29th 2002, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Hang on Pommieshiela - you haven't given us much info on the relative complexity/ seniority etc of the 2 jobs or hours worked etc.

Eg I had a job straight out of university located in in Hong Kong and earned the equivalent of (say) 25 loaves of bread/ hr but as a (say) customer services rep now in NZ I'd earn the equiv of just 10 loaves /hr.

Your anecdote doesn't mean much without more data.
Fair comment - here goes. The jobs were identical in complexity, content, seniority etc. Both were part-time. Both were for Administration Manager positions. Yes, bread is comparatively more expensive here, I agree, but I was comparing the cost of a loaf of Sainsbury's wholemeal (which 1997/98 was around 55/60p) and the cost of a Bi-Lo wholemeal at around $1.90 - fair comparison?

I wasn't trying to mislead, just pointing out that wages are very much lower here, and that quite a lot of things (not just bread, I just used that as an example) cost just the same as the UK...
Old Nov 29th 2002, 10:45 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Give up pommiesheila... It's not worth it, you'll get attacked by idiots

worked in three countries, UK of course, Singapore (5 years)and Australia (6 years).. and the cost of living in Aus compared to the wages is the highest (worst) out of the three. let them find out for themselves, and carry on reading their theories... they know better of course

P.S.. actually on a good wage in Aus, a Manager of a well known American firm, employing these Aussies . But still the wages compared to other countries, and the cost of living is not a match.

They don't want to hear it, and you're wasting your breath.. let them find out for themselves.

Cheers
Old Nov 29th 2002, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Hi there, doesn`t all this with wages depend on what sort of job you do? You seem to think we all have office jobs we don`t! As for bread make your own Luv!! I do tastes much nicer than any shop bought loaf.

Also just to add to you doubters you are very patronising and assume too much! Just because you don`t like Oz doesn`t mean everybody else will hate it too! Do your partners and children dislike Oz as much as you?

Oh and yes I will be coming out to look for myself, having not met you moaners in person to see what sort of people you really are, I have no intention of just taking your word for it! You have blinkers on about the Uk, you`ve got some front accusing the rest of us the same about Oz!

Come back to the Uk........

IF YOU DARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 29th 2002, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

laurash is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not about going back to the UK is it? What these people IN OZ are trying to tell all of you is that the steets are NOT paved with gold. Be realistic. If you can't read a post without expecting it to be positive then you probably shouldn't be going to Oz. It's a real, place not a paradise.
Yeah, maybe it's the place for you and maybe it's not but if this is a forum then ALL are entitled to have their own opinion. Perhaps all the people with rose tinted specs should READ some of the posts and then make up their mind about going, instead of assuming all will be great. I'm not saying it won't for you but you have to be aware of the negative too.
Old Nov 29th 2002, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point

I find the material standard of living to be lower in Australia than in the UK (there are other non-material aspects of life to be considered too though).

In general I find that food takes up a greater proportion of my pay (I'm a teacher). The idea that fruit (e.g. Mangos) are very expensive in the UK is nonsense; when I lived there (two years ago) I could buy mangos in the supermarket for about 80p (that's about $2.50), pineapples were about £1.50 for a large 'Del Monte' (thats $4.50).

Don't forget that some things in the UK are much cheaper, including dentistry (which is staggeringly expensive in Aus), electronic items and upmarket cars.

To people reading this in the UK I would say that you shouldn't expect a higher material standard of living - you will be disappointed. Australia is not so much 'better' as 'different' - accept that and you've a chance of being happy here.

Bernie
Old Nov 29th 2002, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Bernie

Thank you for your balanced point of view. Can you tell me whether you consider your overall standard of living (material and non-material) to be better or worse than it was in the UK?

Jamesy
Old Nov 29th 2002, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Bernard

Thanks Bernard, I am looking for a different life style nothing like the shallow materialistic one that is pushed upon us over here. It just makes me laugh on here when you disagree with someone or put a point over they just assume that you are dreaming about a place that doesn`t exist. IF we do decide to emigrate to Oz we will definitely live like the aussies and not harp on about the UK like so many do, if you make yourself a minority you`ll stay one. Not everyone is miserable in Australia and for those groaners some of us have, friends & relations who have lived out there for 20 & 30 years and are happy!! It`s all down to the individual to what they want out of life. Just remember it`s just your own personal experiences that you put on here it`s not shared by everyone. This isn`t aimed at you Bernard.

Get on and have a life!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.