British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Pommie Bastard: friend or foe? (poll) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pommie-bastard-friend-foe-poll-107005/)

Don Sep 3rd 2002 4:52 pm

Pommie Bastard: friend or foe? (poll)

Poll: who would like Pommie Bastard to go irritate another newsgroup (preferably in another universe) versus who likes his input?

shaun/lor Sep 3rd 2002 10:50 pm

Re: Pommie Bastard: friend or foe? (poll)

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:
Poll: who would like Pommie Bastard to go irritate another newsgroup (preferably in another universe) versus who likes his input?
although i think this person has a bit of a chip on his shoulder
i do think some of the things he has contributed too are of relevance, its just a shame that because he has made a bad
decision for himself he automatically thinks its a bad decision for everyone else.
pb you have already admitted you made a mistake going out to oz. whats to say when you get back to uk, you wont also have made a bad decision. maybe you have only done one wrong thing in your lifetime ummmm and have not yet learnt there are probably plenty more mistakes to make along the way you have no idea what life holds for you or anyone else, so by all means say what you dont like about oz, and say what you do like but then let the people decide if its right for them or not.
maybe what you need are more brits around you to make you feel at home ha ha.
maybe you could contact ahc and ask them to move things along for people.
cheers shaun

pommiesheila Sep 3rd 2002 11:45 pm

I think this is all getting a little silly now, isn't it? PB has made some very valid points, and because emigration is so stressful (both waiting and achieving it), it all becomes very emotive.

As far as I am concerned, I think this site should present ALL sides of the emigration story, the good and the bad. It is only from learning of others experiences that we can learn and hopefully not make the same mistakes ourselves. I would NEVER knock anyone for wanting to come here - it's a beautiful country, has a beautiful climate, and has much to offer. Unfortunately there are MANY, MANY problems here, none of which can be foreseen until you actually live here.

I say let PB continue. (Personally, I think there are others who should get off the site quicker than him, e.g. those who are emigration agents with so little work coming their way that they have to spend all day on here, digging up charters etc...)

pommie bastard Sep 4th 2002 2:29 am

I feel very humble that you care , any advice or anything else I can do for you please ask , always ready to help those who need it.
Can I vote ,could be a hard one for me to decide .
Vote yes means no more little chats with nice people like you.
Vote no means I can still temper the rubbish that is posted here by the dreamers.

To hard for me still thanks again its nice to be cared about not a lot of that in Australia most could not give a toss about anyone.:D :beer:

MrFlibbleUK Sep 4th 2002 7:20 am

Well....I reckon everyone is entitled to there say, okay his opinion might not be to everyones liking and he may not word them in the most diplomatic of ways. But its his opinion so leave him to it...and I for one like to hear both sides of the story.

Besides....provides a little entertainment! (replaces the other two warring factions there used to be on this newsgroup a while back...who have since called a truce).

empyrean Sep 4th 2002 9:10 am

I agree with all that has been said. YesPB can be a bit OTT in his/her style but I think that those of us who want to go to OZ will need to be more robust than to be put off by reading one persons strongly worded criticisms of it. We all have opinions about everything in the world and they are simply truths about each of us and never truths about the world. So let's continue to hear the up sides and the downsides from everybody. In addition - I for one can have very strong views and I'd hate to think I had to keep reading through to see if I might offend or upset someone and edit my posts appropriately. (I also love the conflict it's very entertaining !!)

Don Sep 4th 2002 9:36 am

OK this poll has served its purpose and I will delete it tomorrow am to give more space to immigration matters.

cheers - Don

Albaus Sep 4th 2002 2:03 pm

I would rather you didn't delete this poll, if for no other reason than that Pommie Bastard can look at it from time to time and realise that not everybody is, in fact, prejudiced against the English.

Although I find his sentiments annoying, not to mention his grammar and spelling, I would not wish to see him removed from the site. He hasn't actually been abusive, just irritating. And, although I disagree vehemently with his opinion - I would defend to death his right to hold it (apologies to Voltaire).

Let him rabble on, free speech and all that.

Regards

Don Sep 4th 2002 4:54 pm

Originally posted by Albaus:
I would rather you didn't delete this poll, if for no other reason than that Pommie Bastard can look at it from time to time and realise that not everybody is, in fact, prejudiced against the English.

Although I find his sentiments annoying, not to mention his grammar and spelling, I would not wish to see him removed from the site. He hasn't actually been abusive, just irritating. And, although I disagree vehemently with his opinion - I would defend to death his right to hold it (apologies to Voltaire).

Let him rabble on, free speech and all that.

Regards
OK - I'm an easy-going sort of bloke. I will allow the poll to find its way to the back of the forum!

ndaltonb Sep 10th 2002 6:20 pm

Don't knock the pros

PommieSheila,

Just had to chip in here. A lot of us find the professionals a great boon to the NG and greatly appreciate the free professional advice people like Alan, George, JAJ, et al give to this forum. A an example, you may see the thread where Alan was able to get medical forms to a couple in UK as they wanted to do medicals before getting the go ahead from Aus.

DON'T knock them. :mad: Their help is invaluable to the group.

Nigel db
P.S. A hearty thanks to George, Alan, JAJ et al

Originally posted by pommiesheila:
(Personally, I think there are others who should get off the site quicker than him, e.g. those who are emigration agents with so little work coming their way that they have to spend all day on here, digging up charters etc...)

pommie bastard Sep 16th 2002 7:01 am

Re: Don't knock the pros

Originally posted by ndaltonb:
PommieSheila,

Just had to chip in here. A lot of us find the professionals a great boon to the NG and greatly appreciate the free professional advice people like Alan, George, JAJ, et al give to this forum. A an example, you may see the thread where Alan was able to get medical forms to a couple in UK as they wanted to do medicals before getting the go ahead from Aus.

DON'T knock them. :mad: Their help is invaluable to the group.

Nigel db
P.S. A hearty thanks to George, Alan, JAJ et al

Just a small point how is this site funded?:D :beer:

ndaltonb Sep 16th 2002 9:08 am

Don't know. Does anyone know?

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

Alan Collett Sep 16th 2002 12:05 pm

Wasn't there a post from the chap who built this site answering this question a few weeks ago?

So far as I recall it's been self-funded.

Best regards.

Originally posted by ndaltonb:
Don't know. Does anyone know?

jockney Sep 16th 2002 2:05 pm

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

What`s the difference between Pb and WEST HAM UTD? west ham have a point.

cinderella Sep 16th 2002 2:09 pm

I thought the whole purpose of a forum like this was to get views from all sides. So asking PB to leave just because he / she seems to annoy certain members would defeat the purpose of the forum. Every one is entitled to their views. If you don't like what PB has to say just don't read his threads.

Regards to you all,

Cinderella