British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   pommie bashing does go on....im so mad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pommie-bashing-does-go-im-so-mad-412454/)

wayne/kerrie Dec 8th 2006 4:38 am

pommie bashing does go on....im so mad

I am so bloody angry those who have read my threads will know how badly my son {14yrs} has struggled to settle in anyway ,he has made some mates who have been taken him swimming at a local river where all the kids go.

he loves it and we thought great finally we are getting somewhere then another kids who he did not know where also was at the river , one little shit realized he was a pommie and that was it he was teased and picked on and totally pommie bashed ..i picked up a very upset teen wanting to go home and back to his own proper mates in the uk and i can't bloody blame him. :mad:

So where do the kids get the pommie bashing from they parents :mad:

i am so mad we have just took another ten steps back because of these bullies ..

so sorry YES POMMIE BASHING DOES GO ON :mad:

movetoperth Dec 8th 2006 4:45 am

Re: pommie bashing does go on....im so mad

I'm really sorry your son has had such an upsetting experience, I can understand why he wants to escape to something familiar.

But don't kids pick on other kids for anything that is different? Different clothes, different skin colour, different accent, different bike etc..etc..etc.. Perhaps it was a racist abuse incident or maybe it was just kids picking on someone because there was something obviously different making him an easy target.

Either way..... i hope they ended up with something nasty from the river in their undies which will make them scratch till they are red raw :eek:

I hope his new friends stuck up for him through this and he can continue to grow his circle of friends.

Lynn

Swerv-o Dec 8th 2006 4:47 am

Originally Posted by wayne/kerrie
I am so bloody angry those who have read my threads will know how badly my son {14yrs} has struggled to settle in anyway ,he has made some mates who have been taken him swimming at a local river where all the kids go.

he loves it and we thought great finally we are getting somewhere then another kids who he did not know where also was at the river , one little shit realized he was a pommie and that was it he was teased and picked on and totally pommie bashed ..i picked up a very upset teen wanting to go home and back to his own proper mates in the uk and i can't bloody blame him. :mad:

i am so mad we have just took another ten steps back because of these bullies ..

yes, it does, though (obviously not in this case) sometimes i can understand why.

On Tuesday, I was walking to Pier 26 in Darling Harbour, and I cut across the Pyrmont Bridge. Strung across the bridge were 6 English thugs, all absolutely wasted screaming and shouting. For fun they were stood there trying to push people over and off of their push bikes. WTF? In some cases they were actively pursuing people across the bridge to harass them.

I was pretty disgusted with the whole thing, and also realley embarrased. It occurred to me that perhaps this sort of behaviour just about everywhere the English go is why we are so widely detested by the rest of the world...

Any thoughts?

S

hedgehog-girl Dec 8th 2006 4:47 am

Originally Posted by movetoperth
I'm really sorry your son has had such an upsetting experience, I can understand why he wants to escape to something familiar.

But don't kids pick on other kids for anything that is different? Different clothes, different skin colour, different accent, different bike etc..etc..etc.. Perhaps it was a racist abuse incident or maybe it was just kids picking on someone because there was something obviously different making him an easy target.

Either way..... i hope they ended up with something nasty from the river in their undies which will make them scratch till they are red raw :eek:

I hope his new friends stuck up for him through this and he can continue to grow his circle of friends.

Lynn

If it wasn't about where he came from it would be about something else....whether you are a child or an adult there is always a little bit of jibing that goes on. You will have to teach him to have strong shoulders I am afraid. Personally, I laugh it off when I get pomme bashing, and to be honest I don't really care...its all done in jest.

baglady Dec 8th 2006 4:59 am

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
If it wasn't about where he came from it would be about something else....whether you are a child or an adult there is always a little bit of jibing that goes on. You will have to teach him to have strong shoulders I am afraid. Personally, I laugh it off when I get pomme bashing, and to be honest I don't really care...its all done in jest.

Yes, but I agree with movetoperth. Children can be very cruel and unfortunately, other children rarely have the pragmatic outlook that you, through age and experience have developed. No child should have to laugh this off. It's called bullying and whilst unfortunately its a reality, it's unacceptable.

wayne/kerrie Dec 8th 2006 4:59 am

i know this goes on with kids its just we have tried so hard to settle him in and i feel like banging my head up a brick wall and thinking what next :(

martyn was a boxer in the uk and knows how to stick up for hisself however he felt in a very uneasy situation having all these boys shouting at him .

I done mean to affend anyone im just angry and upset.

Also this pommie bashing has also happened to me at work on a few accassions, and im aussie but got a uk accent.

thanks for your replies

Wendy Dec 8th 2006 5:05 am

i know this goes on with kids its just we have tried so hard to settle him in and i feel like banging my head up a brick wall and thinking what next :(

martyn was a boxer in the uk and knows how to stick up for hisself however he felt in a very uneasy situation having all these boys shouting at him .

I done mean to affend anyone im just angry and upset.

Also this pommie bashing has also happened to me at work on a few accassions, and im aussie but got a uk accent.

thanks for your replies

Poor thing, it's awful when your kids are getting picked on isn't it. My son has always been bullied, mainly because he's got quite bad excema. It used to break my heart when he came home crying over some tosser at school and the horrible things they used to say and do to him.

You right to not just accept it, if it's making him that unhappy then as a parent you should feel angry and upset. If you didn't I'd be worried.

I know it's a big thing, but is there no way you could move. Even a few kilometers in either direction just might make all the difference. :)

wayne/kerrie Dec 8th 2006 5:10 am

hi wendy , to be honest the way i feel the only place i will be moving to will be home back to uk . :(

i am hoping this will be a one off just have to wait and see

x

Wendy Dec 8th 2006 5:13 am

hi wendy , to be honest the way i feel the only place i will be moving to will be home back to uk . :(

i am hoping this will be a one off just have to wait and see

x

I hope it does get better for him (and you).

All the best with whatever you decide :)

Amazulu Dec 8th 2006 5:44 am

You should have encouaged him to kick the Aussie's ass into next week.
That would put an end to this shit.

Rushman Dec 8th 2006 5:58 am

Send your boy back to the river with explicite instructions to kick the other little ****er in the river and head butt any other kid that gives him any mouth. He'll get the reputation of being a "nutter" and the other kids won't give him anymore grief. Alternatively keep him tied to your apron strings and end up with a sad loner for a kid or move back to the UK.

louise4 Dec 8th 2006 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You should have encouaged him to kick the Aussie's ass into next week.
That would put an end to this shit.

That's exactly the thing i would have told mine to do. even if it ment they got a bit of a bashing. nothing like sticking up for yourself to deter the bullies, BUT, he would then have been branded an english thug :rolleyes: it seeme he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I hope everything works out for you and all this is just a one off, Good luck for the future

Deadmeat Dec 8th 2006 6:06 am

I'd go for the "English Thug" route over "Whinging Soft Pommie Bastard".

It may also be an idea to conclusively determine if the cause of bullyee's problems isn't one of race but one of being a total pain in the arse.

Amazulu Dec 8th 2006 6:08 am

Originally Posted by louise4
That's exactly the thing i would have told mine to do. even if it ment they got a bit of a bashing. nothing like sticking up for yourself to deter the bullies, BUT, he would then have been branded an english thug :rolleyes: it seeme he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I hope everything works out for you and all this is just a one off, Good luck for the future

Exactly. Even if he lost he could hold his head high because he did not run away & stood up for himself. Sometimes it is the only way.
Bullying makes me mad. I saw so much of it as school (only a little directed at me I might add). I saw so many thugs get away with it. If the kids being bullied stood up for themselves a bit more there would have been less of it.

Wendy Dec 8th 2006 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If the kids being bullied stood up for themselves a bit more there would have been less of it.

That's when my lads bullying stopped. Although he got into trouble for it (which is more than can be said for the bully, who never got any comeback :rolleyes: )