Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Pom/Pommie Thing ?

The Pom/Pommie Thing ?

Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Pom/Pommie Thing ?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Same here, not a problem for me being called a Pom, and I often refer to myself as one. Plenty of Aussie mates use the term towards me as well, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I take it in the spirit its almost always meant, ie friendly. If its the worst I ever got called life wouldn't be too bad
Agree. I think things have to be pretty bad for people to really take offence at Pom, and even then the problem lies elsewhere.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
I just noticed your in Preston...I have family in Longton..
We're from Bamber Bridge for now, WILL be in NSW as soon as house sale permits. Then i can see what it's like ot be called a Pom
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

vicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nice

does anyone know where the term pom comes from?

when/if we finally get there i wont mind being referred to as a pom, its the 'whinging' bit i am dreading..
Old Jul 13th 2008, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

There's been a thread on here before about it.

As far as I'm aware P (prisoner) O (off) M (mother) E (England)

Two connotations old fashioned (200 years ago) being basically convict, More modern interpretation meaning a prisoner I guess off the heart, or apron strings to England. I guess alot of people who use the word Pom would'nt know the heritage of the word, it's just a word for a person originating from England.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

FR2PERTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, this is our first post here, just paid our 173 visa 2nd VAC last week still waiting for the OFFICIAL LETTER.

POM - Back in the days of transportion to the colonies, all transportion prisoners were 'processed' in MILLBANK PRISON (est 1812 on the left bank of the Thames near Vauxhall Bridge) in London before being shipped to Australia and when thery arrived they wore uniforms with P.O.M (prisoner of MILLBANK) on their backs. The locals all therefore called them POMs/'ies.

Hope this clears up.

Regards

J&J
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FR2PERTH
Hi, this is our first post here, just paid our 173 visa 2nd VAC last week still waiting for the OFFICIAL LETTER.

POM - Back in the days of transportion to the colonies, all transportion prisoners were 'processed' in MILLBANK PRISON (est 1812 on the left bank of the Thames near Vauxhall Bridge) in London before being shipped to Australia and when thery arrived they wore uniforms with P.O.M (prisoner of MILLBANK) on their backs. The locals all therefore called them POMs/'ies.

Hope this clears up.

Regards

J&J
Sounds good, just NEVER heard that one before! ...

Welcome all the same ...
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Hope this clears up.

Regards

J&J

Wow, never heard that before, thanks for that

Oh and welcome
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:02 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I've never heard of a Canadian being called a Mountie unless they actually work for the RCMP. We've always been known as Canucks or maybe Hosers.
And it's aboooot time people recognised the fact EH?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:06 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Its harmless banter, affectionate tongue in cheek if that makes sense. The only people who get wound up by it are uptight poms
It's all harmless fun (a bit like a semi-hard punch in the back of the head) but I've always thought (and I don't mind being called a "pom") that it's actually Australians who are, strictly speaking, descendants of "poms", therefore they're more "pom" than British people. The lineage split back in the late 1700's. The original "poms" helped establish Australia.

My family's ancestry has no connection with being incarcerated at his majesty's pleasure.

Just nit-picking.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:59 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flodsfive
There's been a thread on here before about it.

As far as I'm aware P (prisoner) O (off) M (mother) E (England)

Two connotations old fashioned (200 years ago) being basically convict, More modern interpretation meaning a prisoner I guess off the heart, or apron strings to England. I guess alot of people who use the word Pom would'nt know the heritage of the word, it's just a word for a person originating from England.

Hope this clears up.

Regards

J&J
Sounds good but POM was never used back in convict times.

There are a few theories but the pomegranate one seems to have the most support. Have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alterna..._British#Pommy

It has been retrofitted as Prisoner of Mother England (i.e. the English are prisoners being held in England) but is often misinterpreted by some poms as Prisoners from Mother England which is meaningless as the pom refers to the English not the Aussies (i.e. they've missed the reversal of the convict "joke").

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jul 15th 2008 at 1:04 am.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:05 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Sounds good but POM was never used back in convict times.

There are a few theories but the pomegranate one seems to have the most support. Have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alterna..._British#Pommy

It has been retrofitted as Prisoner of Mother England (i.e. the English are prisoners being held in England) but is often misinterpreted by some poms as Prisoners from Mother England which is meaningless as the pom refers to the English not the Aussies (i.e. they've missed the reversal of the convict "joke").
Particularly as a lot of the original convicts weren't actually English but Irish.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:16 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
Particularly as a lot of the original convicts weren't actually English but Irish.
A lot were Irish but most were English. I think there was at least 1 Canadian and 1 West Indian as well. Not many Welsh though as we were obviously more law-abiding and community minded
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:22 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
A lot were Irish but most were English. I think there was at least 1 Canadian and 1 West Indian as well. Not many Welsh though as we were obviously more law-abiding and community minded
Maybe the sheep stopped the devil from finding work for idle hands?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Pom/Pommie Thing ?

I can honestly say that with the exception of one occasion the POM bit is just mild banter.

The exception was angrily put towards myself and a Kiwi friend.

The Australian chap was throughly unpleasant and very nasty towards the Kiwi friend making offensive remarks about NZ.

As a New Zealander I also took offense but when the chappie in question heard my English accent he then proceeded to launch a tirade of vitriolic offensive and nasty abuse towards me about POMs.

Most unlike me, I offered the fellow outside as did my Kiwi friend, he declined any action and continued his abuse.

We squared up and he ran away.

Not surprisingly some other Australian chappies that were present at the event also took offense..................against the Australian perpetrator, referring to him as a racist bastard and one or two other names that cannot be printed on the shallow website.

Got a few drinks out of that one and some new Australian mates............result!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
My convict ancestors were both English and Irish. But don't think because you've only just arrived, you don't come from Convict ancestory - my husband was born in UK and our kids are first generation aussies on his side, but he's since find a couple of his GG or GGG Grandfathers that were transported as convicts to oz (leaving families in England) and then going on to have other family's here. So My husband has found that a couple of small towns on the Mid-Coast of NSW are full of his australian relatives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.