Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Pom/Pommie Thing ?

The Pom/Pommie Thing ?

Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:30 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Pom/Pommie Thing ?

Whassup with the word Pom/Pommie ? Insult or friendly banter or just good craic ?

Got a couple of Aussie buddies here in Canada - we don't talk about cricket or rugby or shit like that. Just hang out, ride mountain bikes, drink cold brews, chill out and have a laugh. Buddy refers to "Poms" back home but not in a derogatory manner, just talking about life and stuff.

So have I got this right, Pom/Pommie can be complimentary or insulting depending on the way it is used ? Do you folks living d/u get the
"Pom/Pommie" verbals and stuff ?

ps I never had any hang ups with the Aussies over here, all the guys I've met have been super cool and friendly.

Discuss...

R.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:55 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Pom/Pommie Thing ?

Its harmless banter, affectionate tongue in cheek if that makes sense. The only people who get wound up by it are uptight poms
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

I don't know about how the rest of the expats will feel but from my own experience it's used in the same context that you would call a australian an aussie.

I'm dual nationality and grew up half in Aus. when I'm in Aus I refer to my English hubby as a pom. I think a lot of the negative connotations have gone and I guess alot of poms (notice I did'nt say all for fear of a tyrant of abuse) are slightly tied to Englands apron strings in a good way because there is a lot about England to be proud off.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by flodsfive
I don't know about how the rest of the expats will feel but from my own experience it's used in the same context that you would call a australian an aussie.

I'm dual nationality and grew up half in Aus. when I'm in Aus I refer to my English hubby as a pom. I think a lot of the negative connotations have gone and I guess alot of poms (notice I did'nt say all for fear of a tyrant of abuse) are slightly tied to Englands apron strings in a good way because there is a lot about England to be proud off.
How very well worded
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:16 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Whassup with the word Pom/Pommie ? Insult or friendly banter or just good craic ?

Got a couple of Aussie buddies here in Canada - we don't talk about cricket or rugby or shit like that. Just hang out, ride mountain bikes, drink cold brews, chill out and have a laugh. Buddy refers to "Poms" back home but not in a derogatory manner, just talking about life and stuff.

So have I got this right, Pom/Pommie can be complimentary or insulting depending on the way it is used ? Do you folks living d/u get the

ps I never had any hang ups with the Aussies over here, all the guys I've met have been super cool and friendly.

Discuss...

R.
Hey

Never had an issues with being referred to as a "Pom" its like calling Americans "Yanks" or Canadians "Mounties"
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Hey

Never had an issues with being referred to as a "Pom" its like calling Americans "Yanks" or Canadians "Mounties"
Me neither
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:46 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

I just noticed your in Preston...I have family in Longton..
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rich_007

Discuss...

R.

Hi Poms ,

I think maybe why some british expats in Aus get a bit worn from the term "Pom" is that they don't refer to themselves as Poms, where as an Australian happily refers to him/herself as an Aussie.

I guess any offense taken might be induced by the way in which the term is used. "Oi, ya Pommie bastard" from some you know, can be a term of endearment. The same phrase shouted across a pub from someone you've never met, can be a prelude to fisticuffs out the back.

D
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
The same phrase shouted across a pub from someone you've never met, can be a prelude to fisticuffs out the back.

D
Or a shout or two.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I find its most often used in a way to point out that you are not from australia, to sort of establish that they are real australians where ou are just a visiting pom

So yes its often used as a subtle insult I find
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is more down to the attitude and state of mind of the individual on the receiving end of the term Pom.

My observation is that people who are happy in australia don't mind it and the people who are unhappy here think they are being insulted.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Hey

I've never heard of a Canadian being called a Mountie unless they actually work for the RCMP. We've always been known as Canucks or maybe Hosers.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:46 am
Just Joined

michelle doran is an unknown quantity at this point

Called it at least once a day in my nursing job......always said in a non-offensive way, and never bothered me.
When people ask where i'm from, i often refer to myself as a pommy.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:07 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

I often refer to myself, or another Pom as a Pom. I have no issues with it, I am a Pom after all!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I often refer to myself, or another Pom as a Pom. I have no issues with it, I am a Pom after all!
Same here, not a problem for me being called a Pom, and I often refer to myself as one. Plenty of Aussie mates use the term towards me as well, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I take it in the spirit its almost always meant, ie friendly. If its the worst I ever got called life wouldn't be too bad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.