Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poll: would it be better to get rid of state parliaments?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Would you prefer the whole country to be run by a single parliament?
Yes
51.61%
No
41.94%
Who gives a *****
6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: would it be better to get rid of state parliaments?

Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Poll: would it be better to get rid of state parliaments?

Originally Posted by chels
Not very surprising, seeing as the federal government has a majority of Liberals and NSW has a Labor government. Can't see JH etc supporting any Labor run systems.
Isn't Labor in all the state governments?

Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It would also mean scrapping the Federal Constitution, from which the states derive their rights and powers - and I can't see that happening any time soon, can you?
I don't think they would want to overhall the constitution as it may give WA the chance to complete its succession.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great article on the back page of the Australian yesterday on why the Labour state politicians are so useless.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 2:52 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Great article on the back page of the Australian yesterday on why the Labour state politicians are so useless.
Yup, very interesting... No easy or quick fix available by the sounds of it either so we're in for more of the same...
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

Just a couple of additional questions.

1) Should the legal systems of the states be integrated or should it be left like the UK? (If integrated can we avoid adopting anything from QLD )

2) In 60 years or so once European Integration has settled down. Should the individual state parliaments be shut down and all the power transferred to the centralised European Parliament?

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 16th 2006 at 7:16 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:17 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Poll: would it be better to get rid of state parliaments?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Just a couple of additional questions.

1) Should the legal systems of the states be integrated or should it be left like the UK? (If so can we avoid adopting anything from QLD )

2) In 60 years or so once European Integration has settled down. Should the individual state parliaments be shut down and all the power transferred to the centralised European Parliament?

Answer to (2): Effectively this has already happened! The only reason the UK parliament is still allowed is to keep the proletariat - ie. thee and me - happy that we still have some vestige of choice of government <g>
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wol
Answer to (2): Effectively this has already happened! The only reason the UK parliament is still allowed is to keep the proletariat - ie. thee and me - happy that we still have some vestige of choice of government <g>
I agree with you there.

I suggested 60 years for a couple of reasons: firstly they may have transferred power from the unelected Commission to the Parliament by then and secondly that the current situation in the EU is similar to the early days of Australian federation in that people had more affinity to their own state than to Australia and there was still a lot of people around who thought that their state shouldn't have surrendered sovereignty.

Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:18 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem incredibly wasteful to me that each state and territory has its own health service, police service, judicial service, legislature, etc etc - in some cases the whole bureaucracy serving a relative handful of voters/taxpayers. And of course each department having a cast of thousands!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wol
It does seem incredibly wasteful to me that each state and territory has its own health service, police service, judicial service, legislature, etc etc - in some cases the whole bureaucracy serving a relative handful of voters/taxpayers. And of course each department having a cast of thousands!
I agree with your comments on wastefulness and duplication but I believe that centralisation would not (does not) cure this problem. Centralised systems tend to create regions (or areas) and these regions tend to create duplication and wastefulness. In business and government people like to create their own empires.

Back in the mid 90s I did quite a lot of work for the England & Wales police forces. In this organisation there were 43 separate police forces. Each police force was responsible for it's own IT, creating the situation where different forces used different hardware, comms and software. Several of them were developing their own software and were hoping to sell it onto other forces. So, they all ended up with a mishmash of different systems. And this is nothing compared to what I experienced at the NHS.

Personally I don't think centralisation of the governments will actually cure the problem of wastefulness, duplication and poor MPs, but it would lose the advantages of decentralisation. It is worth considering why the UK has decided to decentralise in the last 10 years and why there does not seem to be a strong movement to re-centralise. In the case of the Welsh Assembly my mum was initially resistant to the proposal and voted against it because she thought it would be a waste of money. However, she has changed her mind as it seems to be doing a lot better job than its predecessor - the Welsh Office. I voted for the London Assembly which, in my opinion, has brought a focus to London's management that was sadly lacking under the previous arrangement.

My solution to the wastefulness would be to cut the number of MPs at state level by a half. The improvement in communications (both physical and electronic) has reduced the need for so many MPs. If we cut the number state legislators in half we would end up with less MPs per head than the UK but retain the advantages of decentralisation. This would also improve the quality of the MPs at state level as the less able ones would drop off the gravy train.

Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:28 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think we should get rid of the Federal Goverment..

Queensland should declare itself independent....
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

If the state governments disappeared there would have to be a huge amount of devolution of power to local government. While that may be a good thing in relation to providing local services I reckon it would open the corruption door wide open. At least at state level there's a degree of media scrutiny - at the local level, well most suburban newspapers are more used to reporting on the local fete than investigating graft and back-handers. IMO that sort of thing is rife in local government and giving them more power would just make it worse.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 2:21 am
Banned

Rug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol
I thought it would be interesting to know how many people are wedded to the federal system, given the multiple inefficiencies involved. on the other hand does the size of the country make it inevitable?
Yes!!! yes!!! Yes!!! No more Labor!!! Yes!!!