Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poll - Skills in demand vs ease of finding employment

View Poll Results: Was your skill on MODL/skill shortage and have you found work in that profession?
My skill IS on MODL/other skill shortage list and it was EASY to find work using that skill
34.15%
My skill IS on MODL/other skill shortage list and it was HARD to find work using that skill
21.95%
My skill IS on MODL/other skill shortage list but I am having to work in a different profession
7.32%
My skill IS on MODL/other skill shortage list but I'm unemployed
7.32%
My skill is NOT on MODL/other skill shortage list and it was EASY to find work
19.51%
My skill is NOT on MODL/other skill shortage list and it was HARD to find work
7.32%
My skill is NOT on MODL/other skill shortage list and I'm unemployed
2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - Skills in demand vs ease of finding employment

Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:45 am
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice
Default Re: Poll - Was your occupation on a shortage list and how easy was it to find employment?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
There have been a few threads on here saying that even though peoples skills were on the in demand / shortage lists, they've had trouble finding work in their own profession.

So, I wondered whether people would like to contribute to a poll on this.

Thanks for your input

Buzzy
I am a fitter on the MODL.Been in Brisbane for 6 months now.
First 3 weeks sorting the essentials and then sourcing work. I secured a casual position within 4 days and have not had a day without work since. There is better money as a casual rather than permanent. I get around 5-6 phone calls every week from labour hire companies offering me positions, so I can have the pick of the bunch.
Seriously, if there are any fitters considering moving to Brisbane, there are more jobs than fitters. All the casual fitters that I have spoken to will not work for less than $25 per hour, and its not hard to get that. I'm currently earning around $1500 per week, and thats around the average.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:27 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll - Skills in demand vs ease of finding employment

Originally Posted by Nicstids
I'm a solicitor (not on the MODL) and when we came out to validate last July I saw a recruitment agency on the Monday and had been offered a job by the Friday. (Unfortunately though I can only work as a paralegal until I've re-qualified as a solicitor in Queensland. )

The firm were happy to wait until we arrived here for good and I start work on Monday
Congratulations, hope it's all going well for you Nicola. We're flying out to Perth on the 28th March finally!!! Thanks for all your help

Cheers

Dave & Katy
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:47 pm
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Poll - Was your occupation on a shortage list and how easy was it to find employm

Originally Posted by neil.b
I am a fitter on the MODL.Been in Brisbane for 6 months now.
First 3 weeks sorting the essentials and then sourcing work. I secured a casual position within 4 days and have not had a day without work since. There is better money as a casual rather than permanent. I get around 5-6 phone calls every week from labour hire companies offering me positions, so I can have the pick of the bunch.
Seriously, if there are any fitters considering moving to Brisbane, there are more jobs than fitters. All the casual fitters that I have spoken to will not work for less than $25 per hour, and its not hard to get that. I'm currently earning around $1500 per week, and thats around the average.
Hi Neil.b I have PM'ed you.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:40 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Congratulations, hope it's all going well for you Nicola. We're flying out to Perth on the 28th March finally!!! Thanks for all your help

Cheers

Dave & Katy
Thanks guys. Loving it so far. First 2 days at work went fine - really friendly bunch of people

Hope all goes well for you. Not long now

Nicola
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spottydog
Partially but all the way through the process it seems to have been:

Hear nothing for ages, then want interview next day.
Hear nothing for ages then want second interview next day.
Hear nothing for ages then want references immediately.
Now I seem to be back on the hear nothing for ages period while waiting for the paperwork from them then I guess they will want me to start yesterday.

I'm also still getting calls from agents saying just received your Resume and I emailed it to them 3 or 4 weeks ago.
That sounds familiar, I'm going through it at the moment send out CV for a position advertised as urgent wait for a week then a get a phone call asking if you can do an interview that day or the next. I'm a .NET developer by the way. I have even been to a job interview where the interviewer did not know what job he was interviewing me for and proceded to ask me questions for a skill set that I do not posess. Its all fun though.