Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poll - Skills in demand vs ease of finding employment

View Poll Results: Was your skill on MODL/skill shortage and have you found work in that profession?
My skill IS on MODL/other skill shortage list and it was EASY to find work using that skill
34.15%
My skill IS on MODL/other skill shortage list and it was HARD to find work using that skill
21.95%
My skill IS on MODL/other skill shortage list but I am having to work in a different profession
7.32%
My skill IS on MODL/other skill shortage list but I'm unemployed
7.32%
My skill is NOT on MODL/other skill shortage list and it was EASY to find work
19.51%
My skill is NOT on MODL/other skill shortage list and it was HARD to find work
7.32%
My skill is NOT on MODL/other skill shortage list and I'm unemployed
2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - Skills in demand vs ease of finding employment

Old Feb 10th 2006, 7:53 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poll - Was your occupation on a shortage list and how easy was it to find employment?

There have been a few threads on here saying that even though peoples skills were on the in demand / shortage lists, they've had trouble finding work in their own profession.

So, I wondered whether people would like to contribute to a poll on this.

Thanks for your input

Buzzy

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Feb 10th 2006 at 8:06 am.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Re: Poll - Was your occupation on a shortage list and how easy was it to find employment?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
There have been a few threads on here saying that even though peoples skills were on the in demand / shortage lists, they've had trouble finding work in their own profession.

So, I wondered whether people would like to contribute to a poll on this.

Thanks for your input

Buzzy
I voted, "not on modl list and easy" but it was not really easy, just felt this was the best option because I know how hard some people find it to get a job, mine took 8 weeks to get after months of fighting to get my skills assessed as a teacher
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Poll - Was your occupation on a shortage list and how easy was it to find employment?

Thanks - would anyone else like to contribute their experiences?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll - Skills in demand vs ease of finding employment

I answered not MODL & easy. Arrived on Sunday, got offered 4 jobs on Wednesday, started the next Monday. Too easy. I'm in engineeriing & that's white hot in Perth at the moment.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:19 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Poll - Skills in demand vs ease of finding employment

hi,
both in health/nurses. Walked into jobs within days and I have to keep turning down offers of part time 'write your own roster' jobs!!

phil x
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Greigrob is on a distinguished road

On MODL and easy,

Air con engineer - speaks for itself really!!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 7:02 am
Victorian Evangelist

Thanks for votes so far - would anyone else like to contribute?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 15th 2006, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for votes so far - would anyone else like to contribute?

Cheers

Buzzy
I'm a solicitor (not on the MODL) and when we came out to validate last July I saw a recruitment agency on the Monday and had been offered a job by the Friday. (Unfortunately though I can only work as a paralegal until I've re-qualified as a solicitor in Queensland. )

The firm were happy to wait until we arrived here for good and I start work on Monday
Old Feb 15th 2006, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

margoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm social worker (not on Modl - skills assessed) and voted for it was hard. I still don't work as a social worker, but there wasn't a have-to-work-in-another-occupation-option. Three months and still surviving on some casual jobs... it starts getting me...
Old Feb 15th 2006, 10:21 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by margoo
I'm social worker (not on Modl - skills assessed) and voted for it was hard. I still don't work as a social worker, but there wasn't a have-to-work-in-another-occupation-option. Three months and still surviving on some casual jobs... it starts getting me...
Try option 3 Margoo!!!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

margoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Try option 3 Margoo!!!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Social Work is NOT on Modl/other skill shortage list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Margoo

Last edited by margoo; Feb 15th 2006 at 8:29 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

IT Project Manager, I've been offered the first job I applied for but it's taken just over a month to get from application to offer.
One thing I've found here is it's not unusual for the same job to be advertised by 10 different agents and them all to reckon they are the preferred supplier.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:58 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by spottydog
IT Project Manager, I've been offered the first job I applied for but it's taken just over a month to get from application to offer.
Do you think that may have been due to the time of year spottydog?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Anyone else like to contribute?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Do you think that may have been due to the time of year spottydog?

Cheers

Buzzy
Partially but all the way through the process it seems to have been:

Hear nothing for ages, then want interview next day.
Hear nothing for ages then want second interview next day.
Hear nothing for ages then want references immediately.
Now I seem to be back on the hear nothing for ages period while waiting for the paperwork from them then I guess they will want me to start yesterday.

I'm also still getting calls from agents saying just received your Resume and I emailed it to them 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.