Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poll: Should I stay or should I go........

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Forget Oz, share what we have here and give up my dream
26.47%
Go to Oz on my own
26.47%
Keep trying to persuade her
44.12%
Go to Oz hoping she would follow sometime in the future (yeah right)
2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Should I stay or should I go........

Old Jun 15th 2005, 6:23 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poll: Should I stay or should I go........

This is a serious question, so please don't think me a fool, though you may when I ask this question.......

I love OZ, so much so I know I want to live there. I love the country, people, weather etc.......... I know it's right for me.

However I also know that my girlfriend of 10 years is right for me also.....

Here comes the problem, she doesn't love OZ like I love OZ.

She loves visiting the country, yet does not want to live there.

I feel so torn at the mo. It's driving me a wee bit round the bend....

What do I do?

Fancy voting?
Old Jun 15th 2005, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Re: Poll: Should I stay or should I go........

This is an impossible one to vote on. You need to evaluate your relationship and where you see yourselves ending up. Do you want children together, do you want to get married etc, do want the same things out of life, etc. Once you find the answers to these questions, then you can decide what to do.

Good luck with it all.

Sarah
Old Jun 15th 2005, 7:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Russ

I am a fair bit older than you and have been married for 33 years (together 35).

You may not like my advice but it would be to stick with your partner.

Where you live is an irrelevance compared to a good relationship with your partner.

Beaches and sunshine will quickly wear off....a good relationship will last.

best wishes

G
Old Jun 15th 2005, 7:25 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Ask The Clash.....

D D
Old Jun 15th 2005, 7:36 pm

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Ask The Clash.....

D D
Thanks Dolly

Cheers Grayling.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I have a similar problem with my boyfriend. I would really like to give it a go, but he has never been to Aus and has no real interest in it.
So I have managed to persuade him to come travelling with me there for a few months.
I'm hoping that, during that time, either he'll decide he loves it so much he'll want to stay, or I'll decide a few months travel is enough and I'll happily return to the UK.
Could this be a possibility for you ie, save up and spend a few months travelling there together?
Or have you both already spent time there and have made your respective decisions based on your experiences?
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by DianneH68
I have a similar problem with my boyfriend. I would really like to give it a go, but he has never been to Aus and has no real interest in it.
So I have managed to persuade him to come travelling with me there for a few months.
I'm hoping that, during that time, either he'll decide he loves it so much he'll want to stay, or I'll decide a few months travel is enough and I'll happily return to the UK.
Could this be a possibility for you ie, save up and spend a few months travelling there together?
Or have you both already spent time there and have made your respective decisions based on your experiences?
Been there and done it, spent 4 months in Oz together in 2003, then returned for a month in March. She had a great time and loves it, but I think its too far from family friends. I think thats the crux of it all.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by russmcp
Been there and done it, spent 4 months in Oz together in 2003, then returned for a month in March. She had a great time and loves it, but I think its too far from family friends. I think thats the crux of it all.
oh that's a really tough one then.
If you did decide to go, what kind of visa would you qualify for?
I'm just thinking that, if you could get PR, then you'd only need to live there two years to get citizenship, so maybe you could try persuading your girlfriend to give it a go for two years?
If she thought it was just a short-term adventure, maybe she'd be more keen?
Also suggest that you wouldn't sell your house (assuming you have one!) and would just rent it out.
She may find these kind of things comforting as it doesn't seem so permanent.

Good luck with it all - I expect to be going through the same thing when we return from our travels
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:33 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russmcp
I think Grayling got it in one sentence. "Beaches and sunshine will quickly wear off....a good relationship will last".

I guess you can keep trying to persuade her to go, but if it's really not what she wants but then relocates because it's what you want, she'll end up resenting and regretting. You never know, she may come round to the idea and you'll have the life that you both want. Don't give up just yet.

D D
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:46 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: Poll: Should I stay or should I go........

I think Grayling got it in one sentence. "Beaches and sunshine will quickly wear off....a good relationship will last".

I guess you can keep trying to persuade her to go, but if it's really not what she wants but then relocates because it's what you want, she'll end up resenting and regretting. You never know, she may come round to the idea and you'll have the life that you both want. Don't give up just yet.

D D

Dolly, I hear you - but then again I have to ask - how many of us compromise the way we would choose to live because of, for example, our partners job or their professional aspirations.... somehow that is okay (until you get to my age and decide to spit the dummy) but to compromise for other reasons is harder to understand.....

I think it is so hard to advise because there are so many factors - your age, your family involvements, your past - where you have lived and your experiences of living in new surrounds.... I agree - the view is worth nothing if you've no-one to share it with... but then again, you only live once....

So, no help from me then - just lots of wishes for good luck - and try to remember, it's the little things that make us happy and a smile a day makes it a good one!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

saw your dilema and had to respond. Have you even applied for a Visa? If not then it seems you are driving yourself mad about something that may not even happen.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 10:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
saw your dilema and had to respond. Have you even applied for a Visa? If not then it seems you are driving yourself mad about something that may not even happen.
Just thinking the same. Do you know if you can even get a visa? You might be driving yourself mad for no reason. OTOH if you did get the visa and persuaded her to go with you, if she feels she will miss her family, nothing on earth will change that. It is generally the one thing that brings people back and it is almost always the woman that feels it the most.

Can't help with the poll. Only you can work this one out. Sorry.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just thinking the same. Do you know if you can even get a visa? You might be driving yourself mad for no reason. OTOH if you did get the visa and persuaded her to go with you, if she feels she will miss her family, nothing on earth will change that. It is generally the one thing that brings people back and it is almost always the woman that feels it the most.

Can't help with the poll. Only you can work this one out. Sorry.
Yep visa no problem at all with the careers we have and experience I have in a past life. Im 35, other half is 30, so age still on our side.

I have (and I think this is the way forward) is trying to persuade her into us applying for the VISA. I'm even happy to pay for a migration expert to do the dog work, so we can TRY and carry on with out lives as normal. I've asked her to go for the VISA, then when we get it go for a validation trip. The reason why I am holding off appying at the mo is because I think if I give it time and keep on asking her to give it a go then she may well go for it. I have mentioned this PR, staying 2 years for our citizenship then coming back. I'm trying to sell it to her as a future investment. She just isn't buying it at the mo. BUT it is a future investment. We have 5 years to get our arses to OZ after a validation trip, then stick it for 2 years. 2 years will fly by. I don't think i'm asking the earth (only half of it).

Thanks for your words of advice so far, I do appreciate it.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 10:55 pm
aussie73

D D
Theres not much sunshine and its too cold to go to the beach in most of OZ this time of year.

Old Jun 15th 2005, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by aussie73
Theres not much sunshine and its too cold to go to the beach in most of OZ this time of year.
There's also not much sunshine and its too cold to go to the beach in all of the UK MOST of the year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.