British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Poll: Which power sockets do you prefer UK or Aus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/poll-power-sockets-do-you-prefer-uk-aus-316132/)

arkon Jul 26th 2005 12:22 pm

Poll: Which power sockets do you prefer UK or Aus

Thought I'd have a go at a poll. The Australian power sockets drive me crazy by having fat fingers and being very hard to use the switch when theres a plug in the socket. Also its almost impossible to plug 2 power adaptors into a twin socket. So I thought I would see if I was alone with this frustration or not.

Tiawamutu Jul 26th 2005 3:29 pm

Re: Poll: Which power sockets do you prefer UK or Aus

Originally Posted by arkon
Thought I'd have a go at a poll. The Australian power sockets drive me crazy by having fat fingers and being very hard to use the switch when theres a plug in the socket. Also its almost impossible to plug 2 power adaptors into a twin socket. So I thought I would see if I was alone with this frustration or not.

I think they are a bit crap too...that's why we are taking loads of UK anti-surge 4 and 6 way adaptors :D

Oakie Jul 26th 2005 4:19 pm

No question - Australian, because if I were using them, that would mean I was there!! :p

cresta57 Jul 26th 2005 9:15 pm

I don't have a problem with the sockets it's the piss weak plugs that give me the shits. The prongs/electrodes are so thin if you unplug your power tool and drop the lead you have to get a pair of pliers to straighten them before they plug back into the sockets. Likewise on busy sites plugs get stood on and kicked around not a problem with the old 110v yellow jobbies they are perfectly designed but these flimsy things Aaaaaaaagh :mad: They are just not designed for site use.
A more sceptical person would be forgiven for thinking it's a deliberate ploy just to keep the testing and tagging inspectors busy :rolleyes: ;)
I like the idea of everyone having an "orange box" though, [a 4 way RCD protected junction box] that is a plus point.

arkon Jul 26th 2005 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57
I don't have a problem with the sockets it's the piss weak plugs that give me the shits. The prongs/electrodes are so thin if you unplug your power tool and drop the lead you have to get a pair of pliers to straighten them before they plug back into the sockets. Likewise on busy sites plugs get stood on and kicked around not a problem with the old 110v yellow jobbies they are perfectly designed but these flimsy things Aaaaaaaagh :mad: They are just not designed for site use.
A more sceptical person would be forgiven for thinking it's a deliberate ploy just to keep the testing and tagging inspectors busy :rolleyes: ;)
I like the idea of everyone having an "orange box" though, [a 4 way RCD protected junction box] that is a plus point.

I thought the central RCD was a good idea until the missus plugged in her hairdryer which tripped teh RCD and killed my computer in a different room, Give me fuses in the plugs anyday. RCD's should just be a backup.

logan Jul 26th 2005 10:58 pm

Not sure if this is the 'orange box' already mentioned, but I like the 'safety switch' which was recently explained to us. It explains why there are so many bathrooms with power points! For example, if an electrical item falls in the bath, the power gets cut off immediately. Not sure how it works, but clever! :)

ABCDiamond Jul 26th 2005 11:53 pm

1 Attachment(s)
For anyone who hasn't seen the Australian power sockets:

Badge Jul 27th 2005 12:00 am

Aussie power points never seem to quite fit.

Badge

DagBoy Jul 27th 2005 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Badge
Aussie power points never seem to quite fit.

Badge

Badge, mate - you are meant to use Aus plugs in them, not the English ones ;)

Cheers,

DagBoy

gedge Jul 27th 2005 1:00 am

Originally Posted by DagBoy

Cheers,

DagBoy

this might help?
http://www.hidatool.com/woodpage/ham...er/mallets.JPG

gruffbrown Jul 27th 2005 1:07 am

Originally Posted by arkon

Thanks for the poll, I was stressed today and this thread has reminded me that there are more important things in life :p

gedge Jul 27th 2005 1:09 am

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Thanks for the poll, I was stressed today and this thread has reminded me that there are more important things in life :p

You haven't got to the washing machine poll yet? Quick vote now!

Badge Jul 27th 2005 1:30 am

Originally Posted by DagBoy

Cheers,

DagBoy

woops.

Badge

arkon Jul 27th 2005 12:07 pm

I was redecorating the lounge and thought it a good opportunity to change the wall Sockets to more fat finger friendly ones. I resisted the urge to change them all to UK 13A sockets and took a trip to the local electric and lighting store. When I asked for the best quality sockets they had he presented me with what I already had. I proceeded to explain the problem with the switches being incompatible with my need to actually be able to switch them whilst a plug was plugged in, and has he got something with the switches further from the plug hole? “Oh you want the poor quality ones!� he said (meaning the HPM ones). No I said just ones fit for purpose I said. The HPM or is it HPN ones have much better switch placement so I bought 20 of them. “Are you a qualified electrician?� he asked. “No� I answered but more than capable to change a few sockets over. He refused to sell them to me! I drove to another shop and this time when asked was I qualified I just lied my hind teeth off! I’m now the proud owner of a house with fat finger friendly sockets. :)