Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poll: kitchen doors?

View Poll Results: Does your kitchen have a door?
In UK - yes
35.21%
In UK - no
21.13%
In Aus - yes
8.45%
In Aus - no
35.21%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: kitchen doors?

Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:06 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Question Poll: kitchen doors?

Just having a discussion with MrsD and realised that houses here never seem to have doors on the kitchens. So, is this an Aus/Pom thing or a Qld thing? And more to the point, why do I care enough to post a poll?

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:11 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll: kitchen doors?

Do you think they do it for airflow? I mean, it gets hot in a kitchen at the best of times, add to that your climate and would it be stifling if there were a door on the kitchen?

Having said that my kitchen in Hong Kong had a door, and it was absolutely tiny, no room to swing a hamster never mind a cat!! butthen again, we had a maid and I didn't need to cook in it.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:13 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

They are as scarce as locks on the toilets over here.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Just having a discussion with MrsD and realised that houses here never seem to have doors on the kitchens. So, is this an Aus/Pom thing or a Qld thing? And more to the point, why do I care enough to post a poll?

Cheers,

DagBoy
I reckon its a social, family, airflow, design thing

Most QLD homes seem to have the really open plan design, including the kitchen, to help the airflow.

The kitchen is in or near the middle of the living area so Dad doesn't feel isolated whilst hes cooking the dinner.

It also helps serving up the food if Dad can easily access the kitchen counter to bring in all the fabulous courses of meals he's created to his waiting family.

Our house also has the ability to close off half the house from the other, I assume its to stop the smells from the kitchen passing through the entire house. But why would I want too when the great creations I make smell and taste so great? Who doesn't like their bedroom with a smell of garlic in the evening.

JTL

Oh,and you should have done a multiple choice poll, so I could say No door in the UK and No door in Oz

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jun 8th 2005 at 2:28 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:20 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

our (UK) kitchen door is usually open, only closed when washing machine making too much noise (no seperate utility room here) or to try & contain smelly foods

Are you thinking of setting up a kitchen door business?
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:23 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

another observation - many houses I viewed instead of having the toilet in the bathroom, had it in a seperate little room next door - is that because Aussie food gives you a smelly bum?
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:26 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's an open and shut case

Aint seen any properties here yet with a separate kitchen let alone having a door.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
another observation - many houses I viewed instead of having the toilet in the bathroom, had it in a seperate little room next door - is that because Aussie food gives you a smelly bum?

No, thats because you've been viewing old houses. Its the same in the UK, my parents house had a seperate 'bathroom' and 'toilet'. And if I can just go out on a tangent here:

Whos smart arsed idea was it to combine them!!! When I want a number 2 and the wifes decided to take a 3 hour bath, I'd really like to thank the idiot who came up with the idea of putting the bathroom and the toilet in the SAME ROOM. What were they thinking ???? . A seperate toilet please!!! Or at least a wee ******* cubilce off the bathroom!

Thats why we've got houses now with two and three bathrooms in them. Its not because we need people simultaneously taking three baths. We need 3 toilets!!!But because two people are taking a shower we need a 3rd 'bathroom'.

I should be an architect

That was quite a long tangent, whoops

JTL
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I feel very privaledged, the house I am renting has a seperate kitchen and a lock on the toilet door. The only thing that bugs me about the seperate toilets here is they don't have sinks in them, so if someone is in the bathroom you can't wash your hands. I have kind of got round this by having soap and a towel in the laundry room, to wash hands in there.

Katie
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Separate toilet in our new place too - which is great, as I am another 3-hour-bath person, and can now lie there for ages undisturbed by urgent yells from The Bloke!
The kitchen has no doors - opens into the sitting room and into the hallway, shame, as one of my ways of expressing displeasure used to be a retreat to the kitchen with a slam of the door! Suits The Bloke though, he can watch tv while cooking.....and the resultant smell of burnt chops lingers throughout the whole house for hours
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:44 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Our kitchen door here in the UK was missing when we bought the house and we've never put one back on, mainly because it would really close it off if we had a door on it.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:54 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Our kitchen door here in the UK was missing when we bought the house and we've never put one back on, mainly because it would really close it off if we had a door on it.
We have a door from the kitchen to the hall, but no door from the kitchen to the dining room. We also have a back door from the kitchen to the side passage.

WTF am I writing all this for? Has my life descended to writing about kitchen doors

Anyway, couldn't answer the poll because of my first statement

Please god (don't believe, but whatever) give me a life so I can lose my addiction to BE and not have to read and respond to daft threads
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20

Please god (don't believe, but whatever) give me a life so I can lose my addiction to BE and not have to read and respond to daft threads
And me please!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:02 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

me too. i think it has all become quite sad that we are not only talking about kitchen doors but taking polls on them
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by louise4
me too. i think it has all become quite sad that we are not only talking about kitchen doors but taking polls on them
Dont know who's sadder, DagBoy for starting or the rest of us for voting and discussing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.