Send some back
13.33%
Have an open door and make no limits
20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Poll increase immigration

Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:34 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poll increase immigration

Channel 7 ran a phone this morning on the topic on immigration whether to increase the numbers to Australia .
So would you wish to open the door wider or shut it , now think on Poms are not the only refugees/immo's to Australia they pride themselves on being Muti-culturist .

Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll increase immigration

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Channel 7 ran a phone this morning on the topic on immigration whether to increase the numbers to Australia .
So would you wish to open the door wider or shut it , now think on Poms are not the only refugees/immo's to Australia they pride themselves on being Muti-culturist .

Decrease Immos = cheaper housing
Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:48 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
Decrease Immos = cheaper housing
True but the ecomony is built around refugees , the building trade would go bust without newcomers.

Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:52 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Pools paradise - a city running on empty
Old Aug 4th 2003, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Can't rememebr the statisctics but there was a bit in the paper about how Perth will grow over the next few years and it was really alarming. I think they should slow things down a bit. There was quite a large intake from the eastern states too.

Old Aug 4th 2003, 2:59 am
Banned

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Can't rememebr the statisctics but there was a bit in the paper about how Perth will grow over the next few years and it was really alarming. I think they should slow things down a bit. There was quite a large intake from the eastern states too.

Perth is changing by the month when we came there was cheap land and plenty of it ,now theres a land rush and the Burbs are pushing farther out to places most would never bothered with 5 years ago.
Good tip for new immo's buy coastal land ( left side of the Marmion looking North) and sit on it for 5 years even if you have to rent , the prices of such land have doubled in 3 years so in 5 years expect a 200% return.

Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Would be interesting to see the channel 7 poll results tomorrow.

My bet is most Aussies would say no to more immigrants. Most aussies would have little understanding or interest in why Oz needs immigrants, which is to support its ageing population, which cannot possibly be supported by the low birth rate.

Gov however knows all too well how desperate they are for immos, their big concern is how to stop them from all ending up in the cities and burbs. Aus has got one heck of an overcrowding problem with the fact 20odd million all want to squeeze into a few choice spots along the coastline.

My bet is 200,000+ immos a year and a policy to encourage rural visas.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty

My bet is most Aussies would say no to more immigrants. Most aussies would have little understanding or interest in why Oz needs immigrants, which is to support its ageing population, which cannot possibly be supported by the low birth rate.

Gov however knows all too well how desperate they are for immos, their big concern is how to stop them from all ending up in the cities and burbs. Aus has got one heck of an overcrowding problem with the fact 20odd million all want to squeeze into a few choice spots along the coastline.

I agree with you, maybe not rural visas per se but away from state capitals.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 7:59 am
The Tooth Fairy

Most city slickers would suffocate in rural or regional Aus where one needs to be able to make one's own fun as it is not to be had for money. However, a hardy few would thrive. A hardy few from billions - not much to ask really.

The far side

Old Aug 4th 2003, 2:57 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Me again! Just being interested - would the business you run survive in a 'rural' setting?

The reason I ask is that we (family) might have been able to come here earlier and easier if we had elected for husband to work in a more rural area. I will be honest here, Melbourne burbs was as rural as I was going to get and I vetoed the 100 miles inland. We are now in Sydney (not coast, not got 2Mil +).

I might have gone more rural had there been the 'IT" network structure to support living out of town. But it does not seem to have happened here yet, especially with the industry itself.

So my real question is - the government is right in being worried about promoting rural immigration rather than central urban but does the government support rural communities?

From my point of view I am not seeing the benefits of moving out until retirement- yes I would get cheaper housing and more land but little else on a personal level, not a tax cut, just a wage cut, more time (possibly boarding) and cost involved in sending my children to schools to match ability. If the infrastructure is not supported why insist immigrants move to a specific area? The government is asking now for industry trained and industry based qualified people for immigration - why are they not seeing 20 million or just above is all this country can sustain in terms of environment and not much more unless they live outside the cities.....ahhh money?!!!! We generate money by coming here...and stopping the 'accepted migrants' from going where they will might stop the influx of money!

These questions are based to all not just Dotty who raised a good discussion point.

Cheers
Old Aug 4th 2003, 3:11 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Dotty

please would you post the results once they are published? They would be interesting to see

thanks

Mel
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:51 am
Banned

Originally posted by The Tooth Fairy
Most city slickers would suffocate in rural or regional Aus where one needs to be able to make one's own fun as it is not to be had for money. However, a hardy few would thrive. A hardy few from billions - not much to ask really.

The far side

The locals dislike country Australia too?

Make the governments pay: move to the country

Rising house prices may be the saviour of the bush. Like it or not, the free market is putting city living out of reach for new homebuyers.

As I see it, these people will have to look over the "sandstone curtain" and make a start in the bush. As the populations of rural communities rise on the strength of this shift, just watch as state governments squirm at having to redistribute state finances to service that lot.
P. Armour, Yass,
Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Sandra
Hi Me again! Just being interested - would the business you run survive in a 'rural' setting?

The reason I ask is that we (family) might have been able to come here earlier and easier if we had elected for husband to work in a more rural area. I will be honest here, Melbourne burbs was as rural as I was going to get and I vetoed the 100 miles inland. We are now in Sydney (not coast, not got 2Mil +).

I might have gone more rural had there been the 'IT" network structure to support living out of town. But it does not seem to have happened here yet, especially with the industry itself.

So my real question is - the government is right in being worried about promoting rural immigration rather than central urban but does the government support rural communities?

From my point of view I am not seeing the benefits of moving out until retirement- yes I would get cheaper housing and more land but little else on a personal level, not a tax cut, just a wage cut, more time (possibly boarding) and cost involved in sending my children to schools to match ability. If the infrastructure is not supported why insist immigrants move to a specific area? The government is asking now for industry trained and industry based qualified people for immigration - why are they not seeing 20 million or just above is all this country can sustain in terms of environment and not much more unless they live outside the cities.....ahhh money?!!!! We generate money by coming here...and stopping the 'accepted migrants' from going where they will might stop the influx of money!

These questions are based to all not just Dotty who raised a good discussion point.

Cheers
Sandra I think the point of it all is of course not many are keen to go there, however people will have to, and probably the easiest way is to dangle a visa carrot if people will go.

Its not about liking it, I dont suppose the Aussie teachers, police, health workers who are forced to do rural service like it but thats what they must do, with a City postiing dangled as their carrot.

As more people go infastructure will grow with it.

Of course there are business opportunites out there. Probably more than in the towns because competition is less.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:24 am
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by pommie bastard
The locals dislike country Australia too?

Make the governments pay: move to the country

Rising house prices may be the saviour of the bush. Like it or not, the free market is putting city living out of reach for new homebuyers.

As I see it, these people will have to look over the "sandstone curtain" and make a start in the bush. As the populations of rural communities rise on the strength of this shift, just watch as state governments squirm at having to redistribute state finances to service that lot.
P. Armour, Yass,
Gliding on cruise control through the agricultural heartland of SE Australia, under deep blue skies, red red earth supporting deep green winter wheat and irrigated fruits, vines and rice, I stopped at Leeton for lunch in the park.

Said g'day to Aussies, Middle Eastern descent husband, northern European descent wife, child of 5 preparing lunch on the public electric BBQ.

Are you locals?
Yes, but I'm (wife) from Geelong and how I wish to be back in a city.
Husband, a quiet type, works in the rice mill.
Said I: its becoming hard, anything but a dog box costs over 1/4 million, thats a lot of money to pay back.
She: my friend in Geelong recently bought a brick place for $90,000 and is fixing it up.
Me: a subtle probe on her prefered entertainments indicated she had none.