Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

POLL: How long did it take to secure a job?

POLL: How long did it take to secure a job?

Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:03 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light
Default POLL: How long did it take to secure a job?

Hi all,

I have seen quite a few posts on here recently about securing work, both from people making the move and people already here.
With the economic climate as it is, it would be interesting to find out how easy/hard it has been in Oz securing a job and whether you ended up doing your initial occupation.

We have been on the Sunshine coast fro 5months and in that time OH - plumber has had 5wks work. there seems to be very little about at the moment, do you agree?

Let us know:
Your location
Occupation (and whether you intended to land in that occupation)
How long it took to secure work
How long ago that was (ie if you arrived 10yrs ago- tell us)

I just want to say thankyou to anyone that takes part as i think this could be a good tool for people planning their move out here.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: POLL: How long did it take to secure a job?

Adelaide
social worker
3 months (but I did arrive just before christmas)
3 years ago
Had to take a manager of childrens home (which i was doing 15 years ago!)
But now have good job with similiar wage to UK
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road

Arrived in Melbourne in early 2006.

I had work lined up already - researcher/ PhD student in Electrical Engineering.

Partner, care worker, had two job offers within about a week of starting to send out his CV - took one of the jobs and stayed in that job until recently.

Aug 2008: Partner wanted to change careers and become plumber - secured apprenticeship by start Dec 2008. So nearly 4 months this time round, versus 1 week three years ago....but then, totally different industries....
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:25 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Heres how long my job searches have taken over the years. Of course its a different matter when your searching from a stable position of employment and just looking to change, but this might give you an idea. The world has changed and Brisbane's IT world is a tough one to get into these days unless you're very lucky or not very picky!

How long to find work: 3 days (from unemployed)
When: 1998

How long to find work: 7 days (from comfortably employed)
When: 1999

How long to find work: 7 days (from mildly-uncomfortably employed)
When: 2000

How long to find work: 6 months (from employed but bullied - search was URGENT)
When: 2004

How long to find work: 6 months (from comfortable rut employment - low urgency search!)
When: 2007

How long to find work: 2 months(from employed on fixed-contract)
When: 2008
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Your location
Canberra

Occupation (and whether you intended to land in that occupation)
Draftsman with experience in civil, structural and architectural projects (Autocad) and yes I intended to find work drafting.

How long it took to secure work
About 6 weeks

How long ago that was (ie if you arrived 10yrs ago- tell us)
Got to Canberra July 80

In 5 weeks I had 1 interview but they wernt looking to employ (I have no idea why they wanted to interview me but it was through an agency)
On the 5th week I found a different agency and they immediately got me 2 interviews and both companies immediately offered me empolyment.
On the 6th week I was working.

OH.
She hadnt worked for 10 years (due to our first born child) and was previously an air traffic controller in the RAF.
She gained employment working in an accounting assistants role in under 2 weeks of looking.

Last edited by Graham and Maria; Jan 13th 2009 at 12:44 am.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:46 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Here's ours based on my husband who is the one working here.

Working in: Brisbane (live in a suburb just outside)
Time to secure job: 2 weeks (from the time of the first interview to being offered a position)
Date: We arrived in May 2007, so getting close to 2 years ago now.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

Arrived 7th Nov 2008, Melbourne-Phillip Island
Carpenter, self-employed took 3 weeks to find work
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Your location - Perth Metro, Western Australia
Occupation - Medical Secretary at state psych hospital and no, I did not intend to do this job it just happened to be one the agency rang and asked if I wanted.
How long it took to secure work - First job when we arrived? 24 hours after landing had interview and offered first job. Started work 4 days later
How long ago that was - Landed 13 August 2006
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Bunbury, WA
Metal Machinist 1st Class
Four hours after arrived in Bunbury
Arrived Oct 2005
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd add the reverse way around. IE a Migrant to the UK (more or less as my Daughter has moved to the UK indefinitely)

Finding her first job circa 3 years ago September 2005.... around 6 weeks in Milton Keynes. Left Aus as a Fashion admin coordinator, to office admin.

Finding her first job with a career path (she did bar work in London for a while but was looking earnestly for a job in her feild which was supposedly a trainee buyer) around 18 months.

Now employed happily in an Advertising Media Employment agency and runs the temp desk. Took circa 2.5 years to find a job with decent prospects and a wage equiv to what she left in Aus.

Looks like local history counts for far more for most people, than previous employment history in another country.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 13th 2009 at 3:07 am.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Perth
Website manager, not sure about intentions
4 months
Arrived end March 2008
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:59 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Your location: Sydney
How long it took to secure work: Almost 5 months and counting
How long ago that was: arrived Aug 08 (started serious job search after a few weeks)

Last edited by MTPockets; Jan 13th 2009 at 4:15 am. Reason: Yes months not minutes...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:13 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MTPockets
Your location: Sydney
How long it took to secure work: Almost 5m and counting
How long ago that was: arrived Aug 08 (started serious job search after a few weeks)
Months?!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Landed in Wagga NSW in June 07 hubby (plumber) started work 3 weeks later, still workin. I got a job 3 months later at the first place I asked, started work 2 days later, still workin.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi this applies to both Neil & I
Location - Brisbane
Occupation - Mental Health Nurses
How long to secure work - Secured jobs while still in Scotland
When - Arrived April 2007

Our jobs are thankfully recession proof, a huge shortage of nurses here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.