Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poll: Best bank...

View Poll Results: Which is the best bank?
HSBC
30.00%
ANZ
17.50%
Westpac
10.00%
Commonwealth Bank
7.50%
Citibank
2.50%
National Australian Bank
12.50%
Bendigo Bank
5.00%
ING direct
0%
Suncorp-Metway
2.50%
Bank of Queensland
2.50%
St Georges Bank
0%
Other..please specify
10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Best bank...

Old May 5th 2006, 12:37 pm
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light
Post Poll: Best bank...

There are loads of threads on banks, its difficult to know which one to go for so I thought i would set up a poll....

Based on experiences of setting up and actual use, charges and service which banks do people recommend?

e.g.

HSBC
ANZ
WestPaC
CommonWealth Bank
CitiBank
National Australian Bank
Bendigo Bank
ING direct
Suncorp
Bank of Queensland
St Georges Bank
Other..

Thanks....
Old May 11th 2006, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice
Default Re: Poll: Best bank...

Thought I would bring this back to the top as it's a good way of getting an idea, but this only got 7 votes, but they were all over the place really so not any one stood out above the rest. Just wondered if there were more people out there that wouldn't mind voting so we can get a better picture. I do keep trying to find threads about banks and who thinks which ones are good and bad and for what reason, but it's hard to take it all in.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RayZor
There are loads of threads on banks, its difficult to know which one to go for so I thought i would set up a poll....

Based on experiences of setting up and actual use, charges and service which banks do people recommend?

e.g.

HSBC
ANZ
WestPaC
CommonWealth Bank
CitiBank
National Australian Bank
Bendigo Bank
ING direct
Suncorp
Bank of Queensland
St Georges Bank
Other..

Thanks....

Can't vote for any of em as they're all interested making massive profits to pay large dividends out to wealthy share holders and give huge wages to their directors. How anyone can justify charging people to withdraw money, from bank is beyond me....whole system stinks

Rant over
Old May 11th 2006, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

I agree with you, but unfortunately there are not a lot of options if you need to have easy access to withdraw money and cards to make payments easier etc.

Where abouts in NY are you from? I am from Northallerton, although live in London and have done for 24 years!

All the best
Old May 11th 2006, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy
I agree with you, but unfortunately there are not a lot of options if you need to have easy access to withdraw money and cards to make payments easier etc.

Where abouts in NY are you from? I am from Northallerton, although live in London and have done for 24 years!

All the best
When I was 17 I used to get wages cash in hand ah the good old days lol

Currently live in Sowerby, really nice area round here, not born here originally from Teesside but gone all posh now
Old May 11th 2006, 9:08 pm
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light
Lightbulb Re: Poll: Best bank...

thnaks poppy for bumping this up
Old May 11th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

You might not acutally get a true representation of which is the best bank as I would imagine that many people have stayed with the bank that they have been with since arriving. I know that I tried researching which bank to use and in the end we just opened an account at the first bank we came to on our walk from our short term rental into the city. This happened to be the Commonwealth Bank and although plenty people don't like the Commonwealth I am quite happy. The most it ever costs me in fees each month is $5 and I think that is quite an acceptable charge.
Old May 11th 2006, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

lian and jon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I voted for the Commonwealth Bank of Australia and here is why:

It took just 4 days to send application form to London and have back details of the new account they had opened for us in Perth. They even gave us the name and telephone number of our account manager who we are to see when we arrive.

Even better they set up a 'migrant' bank account in London which you can pay your money into. It can then be held untill you want them to convert and send to Australia and our UK account manager even phoned us to say the cheque had arrived and when did we want to transfer.

Unlike high street banks who may not charge commision they give proper Forex rates.

Today they have transferred at $2.402 /£. Tranzfers offered me $2.395 and my own High Street bank would only have given me $2.35. Work that out!

Beware of no commision and a low transfer rate. The difference between Commonwealth rate and High Street bank could be $0.05. On £50,000 that could be the difference between $120,100 and $117,500 and thats a lot of 'no commission'.

Hope this helps,

Jon
Old May 12th 2006, 12:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Can the people who voted for the Crimminwealth Bank please give me the address of their crack dealer because they must be on drugs.

I also notice that 2 are still in the UK and have yet to experience the pleasantrys of being charged $1 to get your balance at an ATM and charged for just about every transaction.

Decent exchange rates? - use Ozforex and Tranzfers - 7 quid a pop, any amount.

And to cap it all, the "Migrant Banking" thing, just wait till you meat the lovely Chinese lady at CBA offices in Perth (if that's where you're headed) - one of the biggest bitches I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Rant over

HSBC rules.
Old May 12th 2006, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Surely this should be titled "most popular back"?

You could only make a decision if a bank was the best if you have had experience of the others on which to make a judgement! There would be no problem with "the best beer poll" as most people will have tried more than one brand - but with banks you can't chop and change every week.

Personally I've voted Citibank - no problems moving money around, no charges for withdrawing cash from anyones ATM machines, and they've got back to us with all our queries on FX etc.
Old May 12th 2006, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Originally Posted by lian and jon
Hi,
Unlike high street banks who may not charge commision they give proper Forex rates.

Today they have transferred at $2.402 /£. Tranzfers offered me $2.395 and my own High Street bank would only have given me $2.35. Work that out!

Beware of no commision and a low transfer rate. The difference between Commonwealth rate and High Street bank could be $0.05. On £50,000 that could be the difference between $120,100 and $117,500 and thats a lot of 'no commission'.
Just as an aside, can any give examples of the buy/sell spread from Tranzfers/HiFx so I can make a comparo with the spread and hence the 'take' from my own bank?
Old May 12th 2006, 12:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galloping gaijin
Just as an aside, can any give examples of the buy/sell spread from Tranzfers/HiFx so I can make a comparo with the spread and hence the 'take' from my own bank?
http://www.tranzfers.com
Old May 12th 2006, 12:56 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Surely this should be titled "most popular back"?

You could only make a decision if a bank was the best if you have had experience of the others on which to make a judgement! There would be no problem with "the best beer poll" as most people will have tried more than one brand - but with banks you can't chop and change every week.

Personally I've voted Citibank - no problems moving money around, no charges for withdrawing cash from anyones ATM machines, and they've got back to us with all our queries on FX etc.
Valid point, you can ony judge on your experiences. I have banked with ANZ and HSBC. Without a doubt I'd recommend HSBC over ANZ as they make it so much easier to do fee free banking. They are not without fault, but most of my grumbles would be the same with UK banks, except day to day banking fees.
Old May 12th 2006, 12:58 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Westpac wont vote for them as they r shit and a rip off......just charged me $400 for the past years mortgage fee FFS!!!
Old May 12th 2006, 1:00 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Is this a new account from Citibank? I've noticed some new ads recently pushing their fee free account, but it's the first I've heard of it. Just wondered if it's a new concept to them, and where the catch may be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.