Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Political Desperation In Snap Election In QLD

Political Desperation In Snap Election In QLD

Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Political Desperation In Snap Election In QLD

The snap poll just after the Australia Day holiday would suggest so.
There was no need to call an election before the end of February or early March. Indeed it could have been held off till early June.

The ploy could well backfire will voters angry to be forced to think politics during the holidays. What it does show is nerves on the part of the Conservative government of Campbell Newman.

In fact Newman's own seat is under threat . Quite a turn around from the sweeping victory that almost wiped out opposition Labor ranks. LNP holds 73 of the 89 seats in Parliament.

Shows the fear even in spite of such overwhelming numbers that the Conservatives hold as well as how far they have fallen in the popularity rankings to have such angst.

Still a tall order to topple this generally disliked party. I expect they'll be back at greatly reduced number. A little more humble? We shall see.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Desperation In Snap Election In QLD

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The snap poll just after the Australia Day holiday would suggest so.
There was no need to call an election before the end of February or early March. Indeed it could have been held off till early June.

The ploy could well backfire will voters angry to be forced to think politics during the holidays. What it does show is nerves on the part of the Conservative government of Campbell Newman.

In fact Newman's own seat is under threat . Quite a turn around from the sweeping victory that almost wiped out opposition Labor ranks. LNP holds 73 of the 89 seats in Parliament.

Shows the fear even in spite of such overwhelming numbers that the Conservatives hold as well as how far they have fallen in the popularity rankings to have such angst.

Still a tall order to topple this generally disliked party. I expect they'll be back at greatly reduced number. A little more humble? We shall see.
Pain in ass timing. We wont be here, in USA, then moving anyway, but on electoral roll here, so we all have to do absentee vote or something? to avoid mass 'you are being fined for not voting mail ' and subsequent replies to letters .... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

If out of the country you could plead ignorance. The fine isn't great but hardly something you need.

Expect some will consider the effort to vote worth it to remove a very unpopular government.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Pain in ass timing. We wont be here, in USA, then moving anyway, but on electoral roll here, so we all have to do absentee vote or something? to avoid mass 'you are being fined for not voting mail ' and subsequent replies to letters .... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
https://apps.ecq.qld.gov.au/declarat...g/default.aspx
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Was thinking of that BUT, if they send the forms and they dont arrive in a few days we will already have left.

Edit: rang them. Post vote not likely to arrive by our departure date. Early posting booths not open till 19th. Solution they put a note why son cant vote. But I according to them are not enrolled, several searches by them and me, despite having voted in QLD before.

EC cant fine me, I dont live in QLD, I dont exist in Australia, lets go with that LOL.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 8th 2015 at 4:19 am.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:13 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Was thinking of that BUT, if they send the forms and they dont arrive in a few days we will already have left.
But at least you can print off that you applied for postal and it didn't arrive in time. Then when they try to fine you, you send them the printout of the application, and your flight itinerary - and the forms too if there is a dated postmark on the envelope.
Shows you tried, they then can't argue.

First election I was supposed to vote at was called the day I left the country, I just sent them my itinerary, showed I couldn't have done anything about it.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, here's a question...

I do my citizen ceremony on Australia day, will I still need to vote in this sudden election i.e. how long will it take to get on the electoral role etc...?

Not that I want to vote necessarily, but I have to by law. A bit worried.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Ok, here's a question...

I do my citizen ceremony on Australia day, will I still need to vote in this sudden election i.e. how long will it take to get on the electoral role etc...?

They will probably ask you what time?

Seriously they just asked me what time I leave australia, 6.30 am, too early for early polling booth, son excused, me missing in Action.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:27 am
Home and Happy

Ok, here's a question...

They will give you forms on the (ceremony) day, to fill in and send off, to get on the electoral roll. But you can also register online, as soon as you are a citizen
Enrol to vote - Australian Electoral Commission
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:44 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, here's a question...

The registrations for this election will have already closed by then. You're off the hook for this one!

S
Old Jan 8th 2015, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

They will probably ask you what time?

Seriously they just asked me what time I leave australia, 6.30 am, too early for early polling booth, son excused, me missing in Action.
Originally Posted by Pollyana
They will give you forms on the (ceremony) day, to fill in and send off, to get on the electoral roll. But you can also register online, as soon as you are a citizen
Enrol to vote - Australian Electoral Commission
Originally Posted by Swerv-o
The registrations for this election will have already closed by then. You're off the hook for this one!

S