Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Political correctness gone mad?

Political correctness gone mad?

Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:03 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political correctness gone mad?

I am what you might call a 'minority' but I along with all my 'minority' friends don't find anything to do with Xmas etc offencive. It's just a couple of prats who have got F~@# all to do. They must realise that the live in a Christan country and must respect there religion. If they find any of the Christian faith offencive they should move out (IMO)
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

This couple made the news because because the area are in regional qld, would have a largely aussie population.

Last year in melbourne, christmas decs in the main street were some non christian, non christmassy bits of yellow plastic The papers were full of politicial correctness, "cant call it christmas" articles and letters, its not a new issue for OZ especially in the multi cultural parts like inner city melb or sydney where the population is just as mixed as birmingham or London in the UK.

The big christmas outrage this year was some shops banning donation boxes for the poor and abused animals, fear of bombs being left in them. Again sydney, up here you can still get on planes without them checking your baggage
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

kbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant future

It is exactly the same here in Toronto, Canada. Christmas Trees are now called Holiday Trees, Christmas Cards do not say Merry Christmas but Happy Holidays. I daren't even mention Christmas where I work. I guess Easter will become the Bunny/Egg Holiday ?
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for respecting other cultures, but the single biggest madness/ disparity is that you can't go to a Muslim country and openly practise elements of your religion or culture by drinking wine etc, yet it seems to work one way in the UK. No amount of reasoning can excuse this, it is plainly unfair and unequitable. And it's the same God!!!!

All you people in these areas, just go ahead and celebrate Christmas as is your culture. Don't worry about a headmaster or a headmistress. Just the views of one person. What you do outside school is your business. And some of what you might do inside school may not be their business either.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Dec 12th 2005 at 8:12 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:26 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I'm all for respecting other cultures, but the single biggest madness/ disparity is that you can't go to a Muslim country and openly practise elements of your religion or culture by drinking wine etc, yet it seems to work one way in the UK. No amount of reasoning can excuse this, it is plainly unfair and unequitable. And it's the same God!!!!

All you people in these areas, just go ahead and celebrate Christmas as is your culture. Don't worry about a headmaster or a headmistress. Just the views of one person. What you do outside school is your business. And some of what you might do inside school may not be their business either.
I have been to several Muslim countries and drunk plenty of beer and would have had no problems practising Christianity if I so desired. If anything I found getting hold of drink in the US much harder but that was because I was under 21. Christmas in an Islamic country was fantastic and the locals wished us all happy Xmas as we wished them well at Ramadan.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:44 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

I don't think it's the freedom to practice your religion that's in question. Just don't do it in public.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:27 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by suzy
You're right about the kids - they'll suffer most if the story has gone all around town. Sins of the fathers...." eh
Not only the story was in the main QLD Newspaper, on Sunday, but it also carried a photo of the Family, including the children, aged 8 & 10, so everyone will know exactly who they are.

Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mctree
I don't think it's the freedom to practice your religion that's in question. Just don't do it in public.
This is precisely the problem(!) though! Bondipom, I can understand the generosity of the people where you stayed, but in the first Gulf War troops had problems with alcohol - (!) pun not intended. Were you in a Western 'compound'?

The fact remains that it is inequitable for people in Queensland, or the UK, to not be allowed to openly celebrate a culture that is clearly established. Surely it would be better to have a Cristian day, followed by an Islamic day and teach kids about all religions.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

This is precisely the problem(!) though! Bondipom, I can understand the generosity of the people where you stayed, but in the first Gulf War troops had problems with alcohol - (!) pun not intended. Were you in a Western 'compound'?

The fact remains that it is inequitable for people in Queensland, or the UK, to not be allowed to openly celebrate a culture that is clearly established. Surely it would be better to have a Cristian day, followed by an Islamic day and teach kids about all religions.
I wouldn't send my kids to an Islamic day. I don't want my kids anywhere near that.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

What has Christmas got to do with religion anyway?

Here in the Uk this week we had a teacher's web site advising that nervous kids shouldn't sit by the door cos they might be scared of Santa! and that Pantomimes were a worry because of the atmospheric lighting effects!

Cadman
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:39 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not only the story was in the main QLD Newspaper, on Sunday, but it also carried a photo of the Family, including the children, aged 8 & 10, so everyone will know exactly who they are.
Everybody knows who they are, because they attended my kids State School last year, and kicked uo a stink about everybody singing Christmas Carols...........so they got Carols banned in our school then ****ed off to another to kick up a stink!!!!!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:45 pm

And it continues in the local paper...........................loads of letters from residents

Dear Editor and fellow Residents of Yeppoon,

In the last few days I have heard many comments regarding the apology by the Yeppoon State School Head Teacher regarding her use of the word "Christmas". In my opinion, the fact that she apologised to these bloody-minded individuals, is an insult to those who follow the Christian faith and also those who live in a Democratic society.

I have always considered myself as a fairly tolerant person and willing to communicate with people from all walks of life. Having someone complain that their young children don't like Christmas, when they have been placed (by their parents) in a State school which follows the Christian faith, is disgusting. It seems that these kids will not have an opinion on what form of religion they may want to follow in the future, only the intolerant attitude that has been forced upon them.

I am not a religious person myself, but I am more than happy for my children to learn about all forms of religion, as they do at their current State primary school. At the end of the day, it is my children who will decide if they want to follow a religion and through what method. Personally, I would like them to follow the general philosophy of being tolerant and friendly to others, plus joining in with their mates and fellow human beings.

I feel that petty minded complaints like those expressed by these so-called "parents" are disguising and are in fact stifiling their childrens' individuality and development.

Merry Christmas to all and Happy Holidays to all those who don't celebrate this time. May we all live happily together, without silly bickering.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:13 am

lol just had the newspapers on for a comment
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:15 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
lol just had the newspapers on for a comment
what you say?
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by seang
what you say?
the letter 2 posts up was from us in another paper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.