British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Political correctness gone mad? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/political-correctness-gone-mad-342251/)

Grayling Dec 11th 2005 2:55 pm

Political correctness gone mad?

What is the world coming to:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...1-1248,00.html

I thought it did not happen in Australia :rolleyes:

G

merlotsmum Dec 11th 2005 3:02 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Originally Posted by Grayling

G

What happened to just getting on with life, live and let live and all that, we used to be able to do this quite well? :(

Rick C Dec 11th 2005 3:15 pm

I'm sorry to say but nowhere is free from this stupid fad of PC, in the shopping centre in Manchester there is no Santas grotto and the christmas display is now called winter land. It just baffles me, pretty soon we'll be calling all our holidays and celebration days by different names. Easter will be chocolate day, mothers day will be known as female parent day :D , fathers day will be male parent day but then again either of those colud offend same sex parents :p so its best just to have parents day. That would offend people who aren't parents, so we should scrap all holidays and just be boring.

No offence intended in this post just seem that things are going crazy these days.

merlotsmum Dec 11th 2005 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rick C
I'm sorry to say but nowhere is free from this stupid fad of PC, in the shopping centre in Manchester there is no Santas grotto and the christmas display is now called winter land. It just baffles me, pretty soon we'll be calling all our holidays and celebration days by different names. Easter will be chocolate day, mothers day will be known as female parent day :D , fathers day will be male parent day but then again either of those colud offend same sex parents :p so its best just to have parents day. That would offend people who aren't parents, so we should scrap all holidays and just be boring.

No offence intended in this post just seem that things are going crazy these days.

No offence taken, I do agree, the thing is if you start to remove "traditions" from communities, what is left? :(

I am so glad I chose not to have children as this world is not the place I would like to bring them up in.

suzy Dec 11th 2005 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rick C

Father's Day???

3 years ago at my daughter's infant school we all got a letter saying that due to the fact that some children did not have father at home and so as not to cause upset the kids would not be making a card for Father's Day at school.

kids - 156

absent fathers - 5

FFS

BTW what religion are these people who demanded the apology?

Rick C Dec 11th 2005 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
No offence taken, I do agree, the thing is if you start to remove "traditions" from communities, what is left? :(

I am so glad I chose not to have children as this world is not the place I would like to bring them up in.

I konw how you feel. It just seems daft to me that people are bending over backwards not to offend people over issues where there should never be any issue of being offended. I think people are just scared of being accused of being an "ist" racist, sexist, etc etc

merlotsmum Dec 11th 2005 3:35 pm

The funny thing if you boil it down we are all in a minority of sorts, I am short sighted so I am "Visually Challenged", I am from a Jewish background, heavens please don't mention pork or I will sue you :eek: It just is so crazy!

Where do you draw the line :confused:

gobbyjock Dec 11th 2005 3:43 pm

I think it`s really quite sad :confused:

Bordy Dec 11th 2005 5:16 pm

They live in Yepoon so maybe Biggy can go round to there house & sing some carols for them.

eintracht Dec 11th 2005 5:34 pm

Deport them.

Hels Dec 11th 2005 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling

G

What I want to know is WHO said it didn't happen in Australia?? :confused:

Grayling Dec 11th 2005 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Hels
What I want to know is WHO said it didn't happen in Australia?? :confused:

Well lots of people on this forum say they are leaving this 'Sh*thole' (the UK) to 'escape' from such things :p

Oh and to escape from immigrants :rolleyes:

G

tiredwithtwins Dec 11th 2005 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
The funny thing if you boil it down we are all in a minority of sorts, I am short sighted so I am "Visually Challenged", I am from a Jewish background, heavens please don't mention pork or I will sue you :eek: It just is so crazy!

Where do you draw the line :confused:

lol......are you maureen lipman :D ;)

oooer, well im "visually challenged", and also from irish gypsies.....so NO-ONE start on travellers or i'll have the lot of yer!!!!!

it is pc gone mad! there was something in the news last week about a school somewhere in the uk that had banned christmas cards!! apparently they had been doing about recycling, and to make the point hit home the kids were not allowed to have the usual school post box..... :rolleyes:

biggy Dec 11th 2005 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
They live in Yepoon so maybe Biggy can go round to there house & sing some carols for them.

Ive just sent them 100 CHRISTMAS cards saying MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! shower of tossers

fraser Dec 11th 2005 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by biggy
Ive just sent them 100 CHRISTMAS cards saying MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! shower of tossers

Maybe it's OBL :p