Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Political Correctness

Political Correctness

Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Political Correctness

For all of you running away from the UK because the PC bunch are taking the country to the dogs:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E2702,00.html

Schools stand up for their values
By Patricia Karvelas
January 21, 2004
PUBLIC schools did not apologise for teaching the values of reconciliation, the emancipation of women, homosexual rights and sustainable development, teachers' unions declared yesterday in denouncing John Howard's claim the schools were too value-neutral and politically correct.

The unions as well as public school associations were adamant these attitudes were part of the egalitarian and tolerant values most Australians shared.

The Prime Minister told The Australian parents were increasingly shunning public schools in favour of private schools and accused teachers' unions of being "out of step" with mainstream views.

Australian Education Union federal secretary Rob Durbridge said Mr Howard was attacking the public system. "All Australian schools teach these values with the exception of some extremist fundamentalist schools," Mr Durbridge said.

"We don't know why John Howard has singled out public schools.

"What values does he object to that are politically correct? Is he talking reconciliation, is he talking about the emancipation of women, is he talking about the rights of homosexual people?"
Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:48 am
WBB

PC double standards and bollox.

Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:10 pm

Political Correctness gone crazy.

Anyone remember the comedy taking the piss out of the phrase.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:13 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Correctness

Originally posted by bondipom
For all of you running away from the UK because the PC bunch are taking the country to the dogs:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E2702,00.html

Schools stand up for their values
By Patricia Karvelas
January 21, 2004
PUBLIC schools did not apologise for teaching the values of reconciliation, the emancipation of women, homosexual rights and sustainable development, teachers' unions declared yesterday in denouncing John Howard's claim the schools were too value-neutral and politically correct.

The unions as well as public school associations were adamant these attitudes were part of the egalitarian and tolerant values most Australians shared.

The Prime Minister told The Australian parents were increasingly shunning public schools in favour of private schools and accused teachers' unions of being "out of step" with mainstream views.

Australian Education Union federal secretary Rob Durbridge said Mr Howard was attacking the public system. "All Australian schools teach these values with the exception of some extremist fundamentalist schools," Mr Durbridge said.

"We don't know why John Howard has singled out public schools.

"What values does he object to that are politically correct? Is he talking reconciliation, is he talking about the emancipation of women, is he talking about the rights of homosexual people?"
DOESNT BOB MARLEY SING ABOUT EMANCIPATION

what does it mean??
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

leavinga country full of this bollocks, to head to a country full of even more bollocks.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:15 pm

emancipation

\E*man`ci*pa"tion\, n. [L. emancipatio: cf. F. ['e]mancipation.] The act of setting free from the power of another, from slavery, subjection, dependence, or controlling influence; also, the state of being thus set free; liberation; as, the emancipation of slaves; the emancipation of minors; the emancipation of a person from prejudices; the emancipation of the mind from superstition; the emancipation of a nation from tyranny or subjection.

Syn: Deliverance; liberation; release; freedom; manumission; enfranchisement.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:22 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

GRRRRRR @ you guys! I just spent half an hour trawling back through 10 pages of threads looking for this one & someone brought it back up to the 1st page LOL.

Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:27 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

He is truly a wanker, no wonder state schools are in such trouble in alot of places, even our esteemed leader cant support them .
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:28 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bondi - the stuff flying about in general terms about children's education is very snob orientated and I am mightly miffed now Jonny has joined the ranks of vocally supporting private schools. He was doing it well enough in terms of cash flow but the general comments here I am seeing is smug looks and a knowing smile from certain parents preening themselves on the fact they are paying a fortune to put their kids in private schools.

I am being viewed like a second class citizen now, letting my kids down.

It is bollux completely my kids are very happy and achieving at their levels in states schools, I like the school format and believe in the values they are being taught. So what is un australian about state schools Mr Howard - I take it he wants to go back to a class divide. Private Schools are not better, never have been and never will - schools are schools and you should choose for your children.

Cheers Sandra
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:29 pm

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
He is truly a wanker, no wonder state schools are in such trouble in alot of places, even our esteemed leader cant support them .
From all the silly statements coming from the politicians you can tell an election is coming up.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:32 pm

Originally posted by Sandra
Hi Bondi - the stuff flying about in general terms about children's education is very snob orientated and I am mightly miffed now Jonny has joined the ranks of vocally supporting private schools. He was doing it well enough in terms of cash flow but the general comments here I am seeing is smug looks and a knowing smile from certain parents preening themselves on the fact they are paying a fortune to put their kids in private schools.

It is bollux completely my kids are very happy and achieving at their levels in states schools, I like the school format and believe in the values they are being taught. So what is un australian about state schools Mr Howard - I take it he wants to go back to a class divide. Private Schools are not better, never have been and never will - schools are schools and you should choose for your children.

Cheers Sandra

It is electioneering. The states (where education policy is drafted)are labour controlled and Howard is having a go at labour with the public schools in the cross fire. It is disgraceful.

Howard reminds me of Major when he was on about warm beer and the sound of leather on willow by the village pub in summer.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:37 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Sandra

Cheers Sandra
Totally agree, Sandra - my parents insisted on putting me in Ipswich Boys Grammar School. What a bunch of pretentious snobs they were! I put up with it for one term, then dug my heels in and insisted on being sent to Ipswich State High School. Had a great time in that school, (also, there were GIRLS there, which helped enormously in the enjoyment stakes!), and got distinctions in most of my exams.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 7:34 pm

Now the Nationals are school bashing.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...732542601.html

The acting Prime Minister, John Anderson, yesterday weighed into the debate over schools and values, labelling some material taught in public schools as "anti-farmer" and "deep green".

Mr Anderson, the leader of the National Party, who is married to a teacher and has four school-aged children said he was "very pro-teacher". But he said ideology was creeping into some parts of the school curriculum at the expense of facts.

A grain and cattle farmer from northern NSW, Mr Anderson said some of the educational material he had seen used in public schools about sustainable development was "highly ideological".

"There's been no more passionate advocate of sustainable development, sustainable use of resources than me, but some of the material that I have seen purported to be educational in relation to farming is so anti-farmer and so deep green that it is just ideology over facts," he said.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 7:45 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
Now the Nationals are school bashing.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...732542601.html

The acting Prime Minister, John Anderson, yesterday weighed into the debate over schools and values, labelling some material taught in public schools as "anti-farmer" and "deep green".

Mr Anderson, the leader of the National Party, who is married to a teacher and has four school-aged children said he was "very pro-teacher". But he said ideology was creeping into some parts of the school curriculum at the expense of facts.

A grain and cattle farmer from northern NSW, Mr Anderson said some of the educational material he had seen used in public schools about sustainable development was "highly ideological".

"There's been no more passionate advocate of sustainable development, sustainable use of resources than me, but some of the material that I have seen purported to be educational in relation to farming is so anti-farmer and so deep green that it is just ideology over facts," he said.
"Cut and paste from BP..."

now play that backwards and you get...

"...PB morf etsap dna tuc"

OH MY GOD...!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 1:02 am
Badge

Aussie may be PC 'officially' but its not on the streets. Much less over here.

badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.