Reload this Page >

Police work in Australia

Wikiposts

Police work in Australia

Old Jul 18th 2002, 2:59 am
Just Joined

stusmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police work in Australia

I'm a serving Police Officer in the UK who is looking to seek employment in Oz. Does anyone know if you are able to fast track into an Australian Police Service or even be eligable to join.
Old Jul 18th 2002, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police work in Australia

I've made enquiries to the SA police and Correction Services with regards to this, they take applications but will not give you an interview until you are a resident/citizen (this can change from state to state). Try e-mailing the different state services they are quite happy to answer any quetions you may have.
Colin
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

highwinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but a friend of mine is also a Police Officer and asked me if it was likely he could get enough points for skilled migration. Just wondering if you had any luck in your research? There doesn't seem to be any information anywhere for you guys.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

No police service here can help you unless you have a PR visa or citizenship, several states and NZ (I think) now have courses and intakes designed for interstate and foreign police officers, but only when you've got the above requirement. There's lots of ex british bobbies out here, but that doesnt help you does it.

Chris.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

highwinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Chris,

Not good news for my friend but at least I can tell him where he stands now. He is also a pilot and in a position to get his commercial licence so all is not lost if he can get that and gather up some work experience before applying.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

No probs.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 7:57 am
Just Joined

MickyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police work in Australia

I am a serving Police officer and I've looked into it at length. It all depends on where you want to work. Each state has it's own rules. If you have the dreaded attendance criteria they look into this and check your D&C record.
NSW - you have to go to university for 2 years to get a Police diploma then apply for a job !!!!
QLD - there is a PACE course (nothing to do with our PACE) this is a 14 week conversion course that includes law, traffic, driver training and firearms. A friend of mine is 12 weeks into the course. He said it's tough going (thats possibly 'cos he was office bound for a few years before going out there.)
ACT - Don't bother unless you are a citizen
NT - they do a similar conversion course.
As for the other states, sorry best look on thier web sites. You also have to show proof of permananent residency to start the ball rolling.
Hope this helps, I'm going for QLD Police - If the immigration people get off their backsides and actually process my application.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 9:04 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by highwinger
Hi there,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but a friend of mine is also a Police Officer and asked me if it was likely he could get enough points for skilled migration. Just wondering if you had any luck in your research? There doesn't seem to be any information anywhere for you guys.
Have you thought of NZ. They're actively recuiting police from abroad and if you don't like it after (I don't know how long but I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you) years you'd find transfer and immigration to oz a lot easier.

Cheers

Perry
Old Apr 27th 2003, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Micky P,

Who's your mate on the PACEY course? Must be someone I know. I'm there as well. Which force Met, Northumbria, Lincs or Scotland?

Chris.

Old Apr 28th 2003, 4:09 am
Just Joined

MickyP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Chris
Hi Micky P,

Who's your mate on the PACEY course? Must be someone I know. I'm there as well. Which force Met, Northumbria, Lincs or Scotland?

Chris.

Chris,
He's ex Humberside. Neal is his name you can't miss him big fat and balding (dont tell him I said that, He's bigger than me!!!). I hope that I will be joining him soon, just got the medicals to get out of the way.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, know him well, he's in the opposite group to me, "Valerie" is his other name....sure you can work out why, got mixed up with the Lincs bit, he was there prior to Humberside, I think.

You dont know Steve "SAS" Shorter do you? If you do, say hello, we're both ex RAF coppers.

Good luck with your application anyway.

Chris.