Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Police detection of burglaries in Perth

Police detection of burglaries in Perth

Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Police detection of burglaries in Perth

We were recently at the receiving end of a burglary whilst we were out. I reported it to the Police and even though forensics came (the following day) I have not been contacted by the investigating officer. Is this the norm? I would have expected to be asked some detailed questions or maybe the neighbours to be canvassed for any noises that they mahe heard or suspicious people or cars. I have a lot of respect for the Police but this is very disconcerting.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police detection of burglaries in Perth

Originally Posted by discobay
We were recently at the receiving end of a burglary whilst we were out. I reported it to the Police and even though forensics came (the following day) I have not been contacted by the investigating officer. Is this the norm? I would have expected to be asked some detailed questions or maybe the neighbours to be canvassed for any noises that they mahe heard or suspicious people or cars. I have a lot of respect for the Police but this is very disconcerting.
Consider yourself lucky that forensics came out. We were burgled - OH's passport and work laptop which contained files of blueprints of secure facilities were stolen and the police never even bothered to show up. It was only when the old man called and insisted on them giving him a file reference number so he could report his passport missing that they bothered to take a report. Over the phone.

I have NO respect for WAPol. None. Nada. Nil. Zero. Zilch.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

When I first reported it I rang 911 to be told to ring 131444 (or something like that). The woman picking up took some basic details and gave me a police report number. But from there they just gave up. First I was promised a visit by forensics which changed to a visit by investigating officers to a visit by forensics who came the next morning. No decent prints could be taken and that was the last I heard of it. They did ask if there was any blood left behind as a result of the perps entering through the broken window but I told them no. However when I gave them a strand of human hair they took it and I wonder what's happened to it now.

Maybe you're right I'm wasting my time thinking that WA police can be relied on to solve this.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

We got broken in to around the second week we arrived in Perth.Our container hadnt even arrived.The took our brand new tv.Police said they would pop round.I keep putting the kettle on to get ready but after four years I dont think its going to happen.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:50 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

l read that Perth is known as the burglary capital of Australia.
http://www.7perth.com.au/view/seven-...0050607120556/

One tip is when you go out leave a radio on loud then a burglar might think theres someone in the house and advoid it.

Last edited by mohogony; Aug 17th 2010 at 9:14 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
One tip is when you go out leave a radio on loud then a burglar might think theres someone in the house and advoid it.
Or they'll figure that the radio will cover the noise of them breaking in.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:04 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Or they'll figure that the radio will cover the noise of them breaking in.
Or yer neighbours will think yer taste in music is sooooo bad that they'll break in and nick yer radio
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:02 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We had our bikes pinched from our garage, never came out to see us and never heard a thing back. To cap it all, the insurance wouldn't pay us out because we didn't have proof of purchase as the bikes were all a few years old. We have replaced bikes now and taken photos of them. Our company told us they wouldn't pay out on anything we couldn't prove we owned either by receipt of by photographs.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
Our company told us they wouldn't pay out on anything we couldn't prove we owned either by receipt of by photographs.
That doesn't bode well for me then. All the belongings stolen were either documents or items purchased more than two years ago.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't bode well for me then. All the belongings stolen were either documents or items purchased more than two years ago.
Not sure if it is all insurance companies, Commonwealth wouldn't pay a bean without proof of ownership. Good luck.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Coppers are more interested in nicking you for going 2Ks over the speed limit than tracking down a burglar who will probably just get a slap on the wrist if caught.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

we were welcomed to Perth with someone nicking all our gear as well.

Luckily we had taken photo's of everything for the shipping and kept all original boxes for shipping as well.

We rang 000 but were told to ring the local non-emergency number- which makes sense. Forensics did turn up that weekend and dusted all over. Left a mess for us to clean (when I say us I mean the wife....What?)

We got a crime number and then never heard anything for 4 months.The only reason we heard anything was because I was actively tracing the stolen laptop through the internet.

After finding out the details of the person who had my stolen laptop the police wouldn't progress without me going to court, and facing whoever had my laptop and explaining how I had traced them and basically nabbed them.

I refused saying I wasn't going to court to face someone I didn't know from Adam over a laptop, it's the police's job not mine. especially when they said it was a slap on the wrist offence.....

Thats when they got arsey with me saying they'd contact my insurance company saying i was obstructing or not co-operating with the investigation.... because basically they had nothing, the only evidence they had was what I had gathered for them...

I told them to do what they felt they had to. Not heard anything since from them.

Not impressed with the police at all based on my own experiences.

I do hope you have a better experience.

Old Aug 18th 2010, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

chrisandelaine is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe speaking to a local politicain or counciler, and also go to a tourist officail might give someone a kick, as they will not like any bad publisity for tourists and ppl looking to maybe move there.

thats what i wud do anyway, fight tooth and nail.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:04 pm
Banned

Flakey has a brilliant futureFlakey has a brilliant futureFlakey has a brilliant futureFlakey has a brilliant futureFlakey has a brilliant futureFlakey has a brilliant futureFlakey has a brilliant future

Mental note to myself. Dont live in Perth
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:30 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by chrisandelaine
maybe speaking to a local politicain or counciler, and also go to a tourist officail might give someone a kick, as they will not like any bad publisity for tourists and ppl looking to maybe move there.

thats what i wud do anyway, fight tooth and nail.
Like who exactly? Complaining to a local politician or tourist official isn't exactly fighting tooth and nail, now is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.