Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Police checks who can counter sign?

Police checks who can counter sign?

Old May 6th 2004, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

karlyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Police checks who can counter sign?

Just looking for a little help, we have just downloaded the Police check form for our area (GMP) and we need someone to countersign the document, there is the usual list of solicitors, clergy, who need to of known us for 1 year.

We must mix in the wrong sort of circles as we don't know any!!

Can we ask a work colleague, eg Nurse, Paramedic or Physio?

Hope someone out there knows the answer.

Many many thanks

Karl and Mair
Old May 6th 2004, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Lisa & Rich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police checks who can counter sign?

Karl and Mair

I'm not sure what forms you have but we applied a few weeks for information under the Data Protection Act through the National Identification Service. I think they were Person Record forms???

We just went along the our local police station asked for the forms, filled them in there and then (listing all addresses we have lived in the past 10 years), paid our £10 and off we went.

We did not have to get them signed by anyone else.

Hope this helps

Lisa
Old May 6th 2004, 6:54 pm
PommieLeague

Karly

I went into Salford Police station after obtaining the forms thru the post from Chester House (GMP HQ).
If you phone (0161) 872 5050 ask to be put thru to Subject access, tell the person that you want a subect access form for migration purposes and that it for person record.

When you get the form, fill it in (tho not all of it may apply), then along with your passport, go to any GMP copshop and hand the form, passport and a tenner to them, they will give you your passport back after writing down the number.

It takes upto 40 days for a response and you dont actually get a certificate back, but just a brief letter stating whether you have or not any convictions.

Lee

Old May 6th 2004, 8:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Some poice forces do issue forms that need counter signing. Not sure if a nurse would do, but if you work with nurses, paramedics etc is there not a doctor around who will do it? Just needs to be a person from the "professions". Sounds like a hospital environment, so the chaplain would count as well.
Old May 6th 2004, 8:54 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by Pollyana
Some poice forces do issue forms that need counter signing. Not sure if a nurse would do, but if you work with nurses, paramedics etc is there not a doctor around who will do it? Just needs to be a person from the "professions". Sounds like a hospital environment, so the chaplain would count as well.

I had to get mine countersigned for Cheshire - a friend of mines husband is a school teacher and that was on the list.... just think of all the friends and family you have and I'm sure one of them must be suitable
Old May 6th 2004, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Ann-Marie phoned the local cop shop, told them she was emigrating and needed police clearance, they took her details and a few days later a form came through the post, she filled it in and sent it back to them ( along with a couple of identification items eg. passport ), about a week later she recieved a letter saying they had no record of her..................apparently this is a good sign.

As for a signature, we could use teachers, and so we did just that, turns out our lads teacher is also a JP and signed it as one.
Good luck, paul & ann-marie
Old May 6th 2004, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

karlyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help guys, its appreciated, senior moment never thought about the kids teachers durrr!

Things always make more sense when the obvious is pointed out to ya!

Thanks again, I'm sure we will have many more dumb questions before the end of this life changing, nerve jangeling, thirst quenching journey

Once again we thank you

Karl and Mair

Perth watch out!!!!!:PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:
Old May 6th 2004, 10:14 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a primary school headmaster to countersign. Mum is a primary school teacher.
Old May 7th 2004, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I've got to do 3 of these things

one for here - which is really easy

one for the uk - not sure how to get hold of that just yet

and the beauty - one for singapore where we need a load of photos, passport stamps, id cards and fingerprints. super.
Old May 7th 2004, 5:22 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by RichS

and the beauty - one for singapore where we need a load of photos, passport stamps, id cards and fingerprints. super.
Lucky you

I think I read on here they will fax you the forms. Or else check out the UK county you want, some counties have a website from which you can download them.
Old May 7th 2004, 8:35 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by RichS

Are you going permanent?