Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Police checks & medicals

Police checks & medicals

Old May 29th 2002, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

dougp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police checks & medicals

I'm in the (long long) process of collecting everything for a spouse visa application. Are police checks always required? If so, it seems a waste of time to wait until asked - how do I go about getting that done now?

Similarly with the medical - assuming there's no other reason for rejection, I'm going to have to do it at some point, so how can I get the relevant details/forms etc.? The High Commission website doesn't give details or email contact, and the visa section's phone number is a recorded message saying "we don't take personal enquiries - please refer to our website".
Old May 31st 2002, 9:21 am
Thunder Ace

Default Re: Police checks & medicals

"skipp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just go to the copper station hand over a tenner each and wait for 'kin ages for it
    > to come to you in the post!!! (like 2 months wait...mad!!!)

I think it's pot luck with that, mine took two weeks. So did ny wife's, which was
applied for at a different time. I suspect it has more to do with the local coppers
sitting on the form than it has to do with the police computer.

Also bear in mind that your visa will have to be validated no more than one year
after the date of your Police check or medical, whichever is earlier. Depending on
how fast you are processed, you may end up having to get the Police certs and/or
medicals redone. The police check only costs a tenner like Skipp said, so you could
take the chance, but the medicals can be done in a couple of weeks and are expensive.
I'm not sure you gain a lot by getting them done early.

Thunder Ace

Old May 31st 2002, 9:38 am
Just Joined

dougp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Thunder Ace
Also bear in mind that your visa will have to be validated no more than one year
after the date...
I'll be on a plane the day after the visa's granted if that's what it takes. :-)
Old May 31st 2002, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

dazzx6r is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I have read a few posts on Spouse Visa's and from what I gather they come back pretty quick. Also the ones I had read front loaded medicals and police checks. We went to our local police station and asked for the police check forms (got them now just waiting for Adelaide to give us the nod and we'll get them done) We are on a skilled migration visa so our's will be a long one! Hope this helps ?? By the way we have the documents needed for medicals on our community site at-

hhtp://communities.msn.co.uk/Australiaherewecome

Hope this helps and good luck,

Regards Darren & Julie