Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Police checks (ex military)

Police checks (ex military)

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:04 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Police checks (ex military)

Hi there

Can anyone out there help me with this query.

My husband (and I) served in the Army and has been out for 2 years now. We are just starting the emigration process. He is currently amassing references and information for the ACS to have his skills assessed.

However, having looked at the information required for the police checks we are a bit confused. We are not sure if we need to apply to the military police as well as the civilian police in all the places we have lived in the last 10 years (Hong Kong, NI and UK)

Has anyone out there done this and can help.

Also on the forms where it asks if you have knowledge of firearms etc, of course we both have. Is this going to be detrimental?

Any help or info would be good

Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:23 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future
Default Re: Police checks (ex military)

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Hi there

My husband (and I) served in the Army and has been out for 2 years now. We are just starting the emigration process. He is currently amassing references and information for the ACS to have his skills assessed.

However, having looked at the information required for the police checks we are a bit confused. We are not sure if we need to apply to the military police as well as the civilian police in all the places we have lived in the last 10 years (Hong Kong, NI and UK)

Also on the forms where it asks if you have knowledge of firearms etc, of course we both have. Is this going to be detrimental?

Thanks
Hi

Having just left the RAF myself I know that you will have to have a military records check, I do not have the address for your request at present, but will be able to provide you with it within a couple of days. It does not say you need this check on any of the forms but when I submitted my forms for my sponsored Visa the Case Officer in London requested the information and thus gave me addresses for all 3 Services.
I am not sure about police checks in other countries, but knowing how thorough the Australians are when it comes to Visa applications and processing I recon most probably you will.
As for firearms providing you have been in the forces it is normal that you will have had contact with weapons. Just refer to your military service where it states about this knowledge on the forms.

Regards, good luck
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future

Hi there

Thanks
Hi,

I used RMP police reports for my service overseas - no Civvy police checks were required for time spent overseas.

I will PM you with the contact details for the RMP records Dept.

Good Luck

Colin
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:32 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys

All info gratefully received and understood.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:41 pm
arrive QLD 10th June

sonic3829 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Police checks (ex military)

Hi there
I'm still in the Army at the moment. All I was asked for was a police check from the RMP's which covers your whole military carrer. I had my check done in October last year so the address below should still be current. All they require is a copy of your passports and where you've served.

Central Criminal Records and Intelligence Office
Royal Military Police
Provost Technical Support Unit
Building 106
Roussillion
Barracks Chichester PO19BL
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 9:18 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road

I am also RAF, just had VISA granted, we were required to get police checks from countries where I had served for 12 months or more.

Stu
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Hi there

Thanks
I included the military check with our application but was still asked for the civilian ones too . Luckily enough we had got them in the meantime so are just having them translated ready to send off. May be worth thinking about.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 2:21 pm
Where I want to be

Smile Re: Police checks (ex military)

Can I say thank you to all for the advice. Its certainly advice I will take. It seems the more info you send them the better. I will send as much as I can.

Thanks also to colin and sonic for the extra info.

Cheers guys and good luck to you all.

May see you on the other side
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:28 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bert-doozer
I am also RAF, just had VISA granted, we were required to get police checks from countries where I had served for 12 months or more.

Stu
Hello, wonder if you could tell me who you contacted for your police checks, as I am getting the major run around. RMP - CIS - INNSWORTH (GOT NAFFI AT COLERNE?) - INNSWORTH PROPER - HENLOW (NO REPLY), So would appreciate any info please. Husband was in RAF, but abroad at moment of need

Nicky
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:46 am
Where I want to be

Originally Posted by halflinggirl2000
Hello, wonder if you could tell me who you contacted for your police checks, as I am getting the major run around. RMP - CIS - INNSWORTH (GOT NAFFI AT COLERNE?) - INNSWORTH PROPER - HENLOW (NO REPLY), So would appreciate any info please. Husband was in RAF, but abroad at moment of need

Nicky
Nicky

Hubby works with an ex snowdrop and will ask him to get the details for you. Will pm you later

Shirley
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:53 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Nicky

Hubby works with an ex snowdrop and will ask him to get the details for you. Will pm you later

Shirley
Shirley

That would be brill, thanks

Nicky
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out this link that I posted last year. It has all of the contact details and what you need for each service. I am ex-RAFP and knew the guy on the desk at Henlow so it only took a week to get a reply. They reckon you should leave about 6 weeks normally. As for serving overseas I didn't get a German Police check and instead wrote something along the lines of "serving overseas for the Royal Air Force under British jurisdiction", and that seemed to be enough.

Strange how all of a sudden everyone who needs one of these police clearances starts liking the Military Police....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/show...threadid=233534
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Apparently this link doesn't work any more so here is what I wrote:

Got an acknowledgement letter from AHC on friday asking for more info from when I was in the RAF - apparently proof of an Exemplary Discharge isn't enough and they need evidence showing any convictions or non-convictions whilst serving. Don't know if this info is available anywhere else, I obviously did not come across it but that aint saying much.

Processing time for the RAF is 4-6 weeks. Luckily I worked with a lad who works in the department so he was going to do it the same day for me. This is what they AHC sent to me:

Documentation required from currently serving or ex-members of the UK Armed Forces.

ARMY - currently serving and no longer serving

Docs Req: Certificate of Convictions/Non-convictions

Apply to: Crime/Intelligence Controller
CCRIO RMP
Roussillon Bks
Chichester
West Sussex
PO19 6BL

Fax: 01243 534340

RAF - currently serving and no longer serving

Docs Req: Certificate of Convictions/Non-convictions, plus covering letter.

Apply to: Flt Sgt
Case Management Unit
HQ P&SS
RAF Henlow
Bedfordshire
SG16 6DN

Fax: 01642 857421 (Marked FAO Case Management Unit)

Provide: Your current UK "Person Record" (i.e. UK Police Clearance Cert).

RN - currently serving

Request: Letter listing any offences committed under military/civil jurisdiction whilst serving in the Navy.

Address: 2SL-CS-Law Disc 1b
Room 224
Victory Building
HMNB
Portsmouth
PO1 3LS

RN - no longer serving

Request: As above

Address: PPPA(C)
AFPAA(C)
RN Records and DPA
Room 086
Centurion Building
Grange Road
Hants
PO13 9XA
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:26 am
Where I want to be

Originally Posted by Tonyonthemove
Check out this link that I posted last year. It has all of the contact details and what you need for each service. I am ex-RAFP and knew the guy on the desk at Henlow so it only took a week to get a reply. They reckon you should leave about 6 weeks normally. As for serving overseas I didn't get a German Police check and instead wrote something along the lines of "serving overseas for the Royal Air Force under British jurisdiction", and that seemed to be enough.

Strange how all of a sudden everyone who needs one of these police clearances starts liking the Military Police....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/show...threadid=233534
We left Hong Kong in 1996 and so fall into the 10 year period for living overseas. Do you think they would accept military police records for this period?
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

We left Hong Kong in 1996 and so fall into the 10 year period for living overseas. Do you think they would accept military police records for this period?
Sorry mate, I'm afraid I don't have a definitive answer for that. Like I said, I served in Germany (nearly 3 years) but didn't get a police check from there and instead wrote that I was serving under British Jurisdiction. I'd like to think that as my service record was Exemplary they would realise that I didn't do anything dodgy in Germany - well nothing I got caught for anyway.

But this is DIMIA so common sense does not always prevail. Hopefully someone out there will have a better idea.