police checks

Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:20 am
Just Joined

wiljas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default police checks

Hi,I've been in Australia for 4 months now and have just got a job in care,I have to have a police check done,the form states that you need to declare if you have been in trouble with the police in the last ten years,which I haven't,but I was in trouble in England in 1984 for a minor offence which was recorded,and as far as I know is still showing,does anyone know if this will show up on Australian check (being over 20 years ago) or should I tell my new employer about this before the check comes back?
thanks
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:22 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: police checks

If it was in England, it won't show up on the Australian Police Check. Do you have to get a police check from the UK too?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:27 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiljas
Hi,I've been in Australia for 4 months now and have just got a job in care,I have to have a police check done,the form states that you need to declare if you have been in trouble with the police in the last ten years,which I haven't,but I was in trouble in England in 1984 for a minor offence which was recorded,and as far as I know is still showing,does anyone know if this will show up on Australian check (being over 20 years ago) or should I tell my new employer about this before the check comes back?
thanks
If its a British police check you require then it might still be on the files. My police checks show an offence 22 years ago (small fine)

From everything I have read on this forum, declare it to be sure of any repercussions in the future.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ws99
If it was in England, it won't show up on the Australian Police Check. Do you have to get a police check from the UK too?
Hi, I don't really know,I was only given an Australian police form to fill in,and answered no to all the questions because they all related to offences less than 10 years ago,but I have lived in England up until November 2006 so surely Ozzie police will contact British police for check??I suppose I should just let my new company know,but they may already see it as a breach of trust.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:44 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I don't really know,I was only given an Australian police form to fill in,and answered no to all the questions because they all related to offences less than 10 years ago,but I have lived in England up until November 2006 so surely Ozzie police will contact British police for check??I suppose I should just let my new company know,but they may already see it as a breach of trust.
It wont be a breach of trust IMO.

You have answered honestly stating that in the last 10 years you have commited no offences. You are being open and honest by declaring the much older offence.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by furkew
It wont be a breach of trust IMO.

You have answered honestly stating that in the last 10 years you have commited no offences. You are being open and honest by declaring the much older offence.
I know what you're saying is right but reading through my companies rules and regulations I have just come across a section that reads 'no one with a criminal record will be employed' I really don't want to tell them,and run the risk of losing the job,I'm just hoping that they will only check Australian records and it will be clear.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:11 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Have they asked you for a UK police check?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:13 am
Going for a ride

I know what you're saying is right but reading through my companies rules and regulations I have just come across a section that reads 'no one with a criminal record will be employed' I really don't want to tell them,and run the risk of losing the job,I'm just hoping that they will only check Australian records and it will be clear.
I've just had this link sent to me by JAJ which might be worth looking at

http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/rehabact.htm

If an offence is "spent" is it still clasified as being a criminal recored ?

Hope it all works out for you. I'm having a bit of a problem myself with police records for my visa application , so I know how you feel at the moment.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Have they asked you for a UK police check?
No,just Oz,as far as I know!!!!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:38 am
WS

So just get an Oz Police check done which won't show it.

They've asked if you have been in trouble in the last 10 years - you haven't!?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So just get an Oz Police check done which won't show it.

They've asked if you have been in trouble in the last 10 years - you haven't!?
The Australian Police have no access to UK records, for checking background for jobs, and vice versa. The best they can do is ask for you to do a check with the other country and provide them with the response, but they have no power to enforce this request, and because of this are unlikely to ask you to do it.
They would only do a check between countries if it was for a criminal investigation, not for job purposes. .