British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Police checks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/police-checks-330592/)

Sam Oct 10th 2005 1:27 pm

Police checks

Why oh why oh why is everything i do never simple!!!!!! :confused:

I have done my homework, read all the threads regarding police checks, pop to my local police station, 'NO Mrs we don't do those here?????' 'Shit i thought, now what' :scared: after some deliberation i am given a phone number to ring and ask them :mad:

Phew, get home, ring number (bloody answer phone) leave details and we'll send one (i quickly added to message i need 2, don't want to have to go through this again :eek: )

Never simple is it!!!!!!! :(

Cheetah7 Oct 10th 2005 1:32 pm

Re: Police checks

Originally Posted by alan and sam

I have done my homework, read all the threads regarding police checks, pop to my local police station, 'NO Mrs we don't do those here?????' 'Shit i thought, now what' :scared: after some deliberation i am given a phone number to ring and ask them :mad:

Phew, get home, ring number (bloody answer phone) leave details and we'll send one (i quickly added to message i need 2, don't want to have to go through this again :eek: )

I dont know if you can apply or the police have to. I have just had my CRB check for enhanced disclosure back as I will be working with kids, but the Uni applied for it.

If I hear of anything I shall let you know for sure.

Bix Oct 10th 2005 1:35 pm

The police mark your reaction out of ten and forward the result to DIMIA. :eek:

Just lifes little way of testing your resilience. ;)

kris maynard Oct 10th 2005 1:35 pm

We got our forms from local police station , although we had to go backwards and forwards 3 times coz they kept changing what the id was they needed!!

In the end filled in form took passports driving licence and utility bills and they sent the forms off from there!!

kris xx

Sam Oct 10th 2005 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
The police mark your reaction out of ten and forward the result to DIMIA. :eek:

Just lifes little way of testing your resilience. ;)

I failed then :D

Bix Oct 10th 2005 2:00 pm

You obviously forgot to Monty Python it.;)

"Always look on the bright side of life"

Pollyana Oct 10th 2005 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I dont know if you can apply or the police have to. I have just had my CRB check for enhanced disclosure back as I will be working with kids, but the Uni applied for it.

If I hear of anything I shall let you know for sure.

CRB checks are different - they are done for employment purposes, through an external body (the CRB!) although the checks are done by the police. Lots of different laws depending on what the job is - children, old people, taxi driver etc.
Checks for Immigration are Subject Access checks, done under the Data Protection Act. They are done through the local police, and cost £10. Many of the forces have their forms on line now. If you can't find a form that way, phone your local police HQ and ask for the Data Protection Office, then explain why you need the check.
Many little police stations will have never dealt with one, thats why many people get blank looks when they ask for a form!
The form will need various bits of ID with it - again varies from force to force. The form is sent to New Scotland Yard by your local HQ, and NSY will send the result back directly to you.
DIMIA need the ORIGINAL check, by the way, not a copy.

Hope this helps :) (seems a long time ago, but I used to do them!!)

Sam Oct 10th 2005 2:42 pm

[QUOTE=Pollyana]CRB checks are different - they are done for employment purposes, through an external body (the CRB!) although the checks are done by the police. Lots of different laws depending on what the job is - children, old people, taxi driver etc.
Checks for Immigration are Subject Access checks, done under the Data Protection Act. They are done through the local police, and cost £10. Many of the forces have their forms on line now. If you can't find a form that way, phone your local police HQ and ask for the Data Protection Office, then explain why you need the check.
Many little police stations will have never dealt with one, thats why many people get blank looks when they ask for a form!
The form will need various bits of ID with it - again varies from force to force. The form is sent to New Scotland Yard by your local HQ, and NSY will send the result back directly to you.
DIMIA need the ORIGINAL check, by the way, not a copy.

Hope this helps :) (seems a long time ago, but I used to do them!!)[/QUOTE

Thanks Pollyanna, thats brill, plus explains why the answerphone man said data protection something or other!!!!!!! ;)

phew hope for me yet then :D

I know that CBR checks are different cause i have to have one for work (schools) they check for different things (i believe) :scared:

Just to add: will i need to send off my ID (passports etc) or can i show them at the police station????

Pollyana Oct 10th 2005 2:53 pm

Just to add: will i need to send off my ID (passports etc) or can i show them at the police station????

Again it depends on your police force :rolleyes: If you are the part of Kent policed by the Met, most police stations are able to verify the ID.
http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotection/forms.htm
Kent's website, which I have just looked at for the first time, is singularly unhelpful! I would guess you may need to send the ID off - the Data Prot Office could tell you, and it should be on the form.
http://www.kent.police.uk/csites/pol...a.html#P28_605
If you do need to send the ID off, it only goes to the local HQ then they return it to you while sending the form on to NSY, so the ID should be back very quickly.

GinaUK Oct 10th 2005 4:20 pm

Hi Alan and Sam,

we're in the Thames Valley Police area. We had to send off our passports with the forms for the police check. We got them back within a few days.

Gina

Sam Oct 10th 2005 4:48 pm

Thanks everso guys (& Girls)

fingers crossed the forms wont be long in getting here

Welshie Oct 10th 2005 11:13 pm

The guys at my local police station all looked at one another and then looked at me as if I'd just parked my space ship outside when I asked about Police Clearance...anway...a nice lady came from the back and said...'oh I know'.....yay..at last...Waited less than a month and it came...but low and behold...with a hideous typo...spelt my first name completely wrong...of course when I tried to call the office at New Scotland Yard it was all automated and all enquires have to be in writing...wrote and explained that I would like one wiht my name spelt correctly and haven't heard....sent another snotty letter today.....its been about 64 days...They are quick to cash ya cheques, but they're service is appalling!

Welshie Oct 10th 2005 11:15 pm

my first name is Rachel by the way..it's not hard is it?! :D

Steve G Oct 10th 2005 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Welshie
my first name is Rachel by the way..it's not hard is it?! :D

Keep smiling Rahcel!! :D :D ;)

Welshie Oct 10th 2005 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Steve G
Keep smiling Rahcel!! :D :D ;)