Police Checks

Old Oct 5th 2004, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

sue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura about
Default Police Checks

I have been waiting nearly a month for my police checks to come back. I know I don't have a criminal conviction so why is it taking so long?

Did everyone else have to wait ages?

Sue
Old Oct 5th 2004, 10:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Checks

Legally they have 40 days to reply Sue; there are many reasons for delays - some are staff related - sickness, holidays, sheer pressure of work. Other delays can be caused by such things as a person have a fairly common name - if your name/date of birth are similar to someone with a record they have to carry out more checks to verify whether the record really is yours or not (thats one reason why they ask for addresses). Looking at your username, if your name is Susan Parker, there are quite a few people with that name in the UK, and there will be some with records.

Sorry but you will have to be patient a little longer.

Pollyana
(former police records checker)
Old Oct 5th 2004, 10:31 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue_parker
I have been waiting nearly a month for my police checks to come back. I know I don't have a criminal conviction so why is it taking so long?

Sue
The UK police are officially allowed 40 days to return the form. Sometimes there is simply a backlog and other times it may be that your local force has had to send it on and it's just taking a while to be processed.

That said, mine took 10 days.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

sue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, i'll try and be patient.

Sue
Old Oct 6th 2004, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Originally Posted by sue_parker

Sue
Sue I share your frustration I have a 40 day deadline of october 18 and nothing in the world will speed them up as i discovered today I rang the data protection unit at GMP and they said you just have to wait they did say though that they will ring and find out where it is in the system for me next week if its not here as i have to get my paperwork back by Nov 2
I feel like I am stalking the post man !!

Mary
Old Oct 6th 2004, 11:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marysidey
Sue I share your frustration I have a 40 day deadline of october 18 and nothing in the world will speed them up as i discovered today I rang the data protection unit at GMP and they said you just have to wait they did say though that they will ring and find out where it is in the system for me next week if its not here as i have to get my paperwork back by Nov 2
I feel like I am stalking the post man !!

Mary
If they exceed 40 days they are breaking the law and you've every right to kick up an enormous fuss, including complaing to your MP and asking him to intervene.

Concerning your Nov 2 deadline - if you need an extension, ask for it.

Jeremy