Police Checks

Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Alicomn is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Police Checks

We have been thinking about emigrating to Australia for quite a while now and would like to start making enquiries about what is involved in the emigration process. How do we go about obtaining a police check and what bearing do the results have on our chances of being accepted? My husband has a police record from 1984, would this still be relevant?. Any advice please.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Checks

Originally Posted by Alicomn
We have been thinking about emigrating to Australia for quite a while now and would like to start making enquiries about what is involved in the emigration process. How do we go about obtaining a police check and what bearing do the results have on our chances of being accepted? My husband has a police record from 1984, would this still be relevant?. Any advice please.
Assuming that you are emigrating from the UK, you get a Subject Access form from your local police HQ (if you're not sure where that is, tell me your nearest town/city and I can probably work it out from that). The check costs £10.
Your husband's conviction MAY still be on file, depends what it is, what the sentence was, and whether it was a one-off offence. If it is a single offence from 1984 it might well have been weeded by now.
Whether it makes a difference goes by much the same rules - what the offence and sentence were, and how serious the offence was. Generally if there was no prison sentence involved you should be OK, if there was imprisonment you may need more stuff like character references.

if you want to discuss the offence in any more detail you can send me a pm or an e-mail via the site. I can't tell you exactly what DIMIA will say, but I can put the offence into context compared to others who have gone through the process (I used to work for the police doing vetting).
Old Aug 28th 2004, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Alicomn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Assuming that you are emigrating from the UK, you get a Subject Access form from your local police HQ (if you're not sure where that is, tell me your nearest town/city and I can probably work it out from that). The check costs £10.
Your husband's conviction MAY still be on file, depends what it is, what the sentence was, and whether it was a one-off offence. If it is a single offence from 1984 it might well have been weeded by now.
Whether it makes a difference goes by much the same rules - what the offence and sentence were, and how serious the offence was. Generally if there was no prison sentence involved you should be OK, if there was imprisonment you may need more stuff like character references.

if you want to discuss the offence in any more detail you can send me a pm or an e-mail via the site. I can't tell you exactly what DIMIA will say, but I can put the offence into context compared to others who have gone through the process (I used to work for the police doing vetting).

Thank you pollyana for your advice and offer of help. I will be back to you soon.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 12:37 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No problems and good luck
Old Aug 28th 2004, 1:06 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
(I used to work for the police doing vetting).

And now work for the Firemen. Is there a pattern emerging here???
Old Aug 28th 2004, 2:23 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bordy
And now work for the Firemen. Is there a pattern emerging here???
And a major motoring organisation inbetween but their uniforms weren't quite as fetching!