Wikiposts

Police checks

Old Feb 4th 2004, 5:06 am
Just Joined

stevejohna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police checks

I've been logging on to expats for a few months now but this is my first post. Hopefully someone can help ease my mind.
We have finally made the decision to head for Oz and have just set the ball rolling. However, I am a bit concerned about the police checks.
In my life I have been cautioned three times by the police. I have never been formally charged or appeared before a court. The first two occured 10 years ago, one for possession and the other for being drunk in public. The third was 18 months ago for public disorder. A friend was attacked, I intervened, and I got cautioned!!!
I am obviously concerned that this will be a problem in getting accepted (skilled migrant). Anyone got any ideas?
I've done a search and found some stuff but nothing that actually answers the question.
Any help is much appreciated.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Police checks

Originally posted by stevejohna
I've been logging on to expats for a few months now but this is my first post. Hopefully someone can help ease my mind.
We have finally made the decision to head for Oz and have just set the ball rolling. However, I am a bit concerned about the police checks.
In my life I have been cautioned three times by the police. I have never been formally charged or appeared before a court. The first two occured 10 years ago, one for possession and the other for being drunk in public. The third was 18 months ago for public disorder. A friend was attacked, I intervened, and I got cautioned!!!
I am obviously concerned that this will be a problem in getting accepted (skilled migrant). Anyone got any ideas?
I've done a search and found some stuff but nothing that actually answers the question.
Any help is much appreciated.
Hi there,
cant help with your question but just wanted to welcome you to the forum
best wishes with your application
rach & family
Old Feb 4th 2004, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I think you will find that as long as you havent got a conviction then you will be fine. The police checks cost a tenner, if you are really worried then send off for one and see what it shows up.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 5:12 am
Just Joined

stevejohna is an unknown quantity at this point

That was quick, thanks.
I have already requested the form to do the check today.
I expect they (the cautions) will be on it when it arrives I just thought someone may have been in the same situation.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 5:36 am
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Police checks

The character test
Some examples of when a person will fail the character test include:

when the person has a substantial criminal record ;
when the person either has, or has had, an association with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct;
when there is a significant risk that the person will engage in criminal conduct in Australia, harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person in Australia, vilify a segment of the Australian community, or incite discord in the Australian community or in a segment of that community (see Fact Sheet 78: Controversial Visa Applicants);
when, having regard to the person's past and present criminal conduct, the person is found not to be of good character; and
when having regard to the person's past and present general conduct, the person is found to be not of good character.
Substantial criminal records
A person is deemed to have a substantial criminal record if they have been:

sentenced to a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more; or
sentenced to either death or life imprisonment; or
sentenced to two or more terms of imprisonment (whether on one or more occasions), where the total of those terms is two years or more; or
acquitted of an offence on the grounds of either unsoundness of mind or insanity and, as a result, the person has been detained in a facility or institution.

You will breeze though it mate........ don't worry

love Boomie
xxx