Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pole top fires (Perth power)

Pole top fires (Perth power)

Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:44 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Pole top fires (Perth power)

So, anyone on here been affected?

We haven't, luckily, I can imagine it's VERY Annoying, and much worse if you have a business!

Still don't get this whole pole top fire thing. Someone said it's because of the dust and ash on top of the poles, and because of the humidity/rain this causes friction and a fire starts??

Apparently at the moment mainly Mandurah, Rockingham and another suburb are affected. Around 2,500 homes.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:51 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pole top fires (Perth power)

Originally Posted by Simone
Still don't get this whole pole top fire thing. Someone said it's because of the dust and ash on top of the poles, and because of the humidity/rain this causes friction and a fire starts??
I'm not sure about any friction, but certainly the ash and humidity seem to be involved in reducing the insulation's effectiveness: http://www.westernpower.com.au/media...sp?item_id=600
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:07 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

So, what's 'arcing'? Sounds like something like friction...

Anyway, there's lots to it, obviously.
Flashovers occur mainly on transmission lines when, in combination with condensation or light rain, ash or dust build-up can cause arcing across insulators and dips and spikes in power supplies. This weakens the insulators and repeated arcing can cause the shut down of the power line.

Pole top fires occur mainly on distribution lines when airborne material such as ash from bush fires, sea breeze salt or dust from the Wheatbelt settles on insulators on power line cross-arms.

Condensation or drizzle absorbed by the build up of pollution can break down the effectiveness of the insulators.

In light rain or drizzle the electric current can leak from the conductors, track through the damp pollution build up onto the wooden cross-arms and into the timber.

The current heats up the timber which can, in some instances, result in a pole top fire.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:12 am
Class 2 Guru

Thanks!

So, what's 'arcing'? Sounds like something like friction...
Really? Not to English ears.

It's where electricity "jumps" across an insulating gap. Often this is because the air (normally a fairly good insulator) is humid enough that it becomes a conductor. It's still a very poor conductor, true, but good enough for the large voltages (several tens of thousands of volts) carried by power cables to be able to cross the gap.

Lightning is an extreme form of arcing.

Physics is wonderful.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:16 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords

It's where electricity "jumps" across an insulating gap. Often this is because the air (normally a fairly good insulator) is humid enough that it becomes a conductor. It's still a very poor conductor, true, but good enough for the large voltages (several tens of thousands of volts) carried by power cables to be able to cross the gap.

Lightning is an extreme form of arcing.

Physics is wonderful.
Aha, thanks!

Great, get it now! It's like water is a conductor, because of all the elements in it.

I was quite good at chemistry in High school, not physics though, and certainly not in English
And I have a pretty bad memory...
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Aha, thanks!

Great, get it now! It's like water is a conductor, because of all the elements in it.

I was quite good at chemistry in High school, not physics though, and certainly not in English
And I have a pretty bad memory...
Our power went out at about 8.15 Saturday night for just over an hour, which was annoying as I was watching a docco about the Spanish Armada.

Early Sunday morning it went out for about half an hour, which was annoying as the kettle was half way through heating up when it happened.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:28 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

It's where electricity "jumps" across an insulating gap. Often this is because the air (normally a fairly good insulator) is humid enough that it becomes a conductor.
How do they cope in more tropical locations where the humidity is constantly higher than the last couple of days in Perth? No overhead Powerlines ?
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:30 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
Our power went out at about 8.15 Saturday night for just over an hour, which was annoying as I was watching a docco about the Spanish Armada.

I saw that docco to, your ok the English won.

Its actually a very good series that with Peter Snow. I take it that its his son thats on it to.
(Sorry for going off subject Simone)
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:36 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally Posted by steve99
How do they cope in more tropical locations where the humidity is constantly higher than the last couple of days in Perth? No overhead Powerlines ?
Good question. Larger insulation gaps? Lower overhead voltages? Still, the particular problem in WA is because the combination of ash and humidity causes persistent build-up of conducting gunge on the pole-tops. High humidity in itself is not such a problem, I think.

Last edited by MarkMyWords; Feb 14th 2005 at 2:38 am.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:44 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Good question. Larger insuation gaps? Lower overhead voltages? Still, the particular problem in WA is because the combination of ash and humidity causes persistent build-up of conducting gunge on the pole-tops. High humidity in itself is not such a problem, I think.
yEAH, i Think it's really bad at the moment because of all the ash from the fires in the Hills and Yanchep.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:44 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Good question. Larger insulation gaps? Lower overhead voltages? Still, the particular problem in WA is because the combination of ash and humidity causes persistent build-up of conducting gunge on the pole-tops. High humidity in itself is not such a problem, I think.
I guess it could be linked back to the huge fires burning in the hills a few weeks back, there was some serious crap falling out of the sky then.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Early Sunday morning it went out for about half an hour, which was annoying as the kettle was half way through heating up when it happened.

Same here in Kinross........bit odd though as I could see accross Marmion Ave, and the 'power cut' appeared to be in patches.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:10 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

which was annoying as I was watching a docco about the Spanish Armada.
Don't want to spoil it for you but Drake and the boys won.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:54 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

So, anyone on here been affected?

We haven't, luckily, I can imagine it's VERY Annoying, and much worse if you have a business!

Apparently at the moment mainly Mandurah, Rockingham and another suburb are affected. Around 2,500 homes.

Perhaps someone was pole dancing!! causing the friction
Old Feb 14th 2005, 12:42 pm
PommieLeague

In a way it shows how in some areas that Australia is still quite primitive when it has to rely on its national power to be carried by dead trees.
I can only remember in the UK that these are in the countryside areas and not in cities.
When will they put electric underground?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.