British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Poisonous animals of Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/poisonous-animals-australia-672161/)

Sherlock Holmes Jun 13th 2010 2:35 am

Re: Poisonous animals of Australia

Originally Posted by Sushimania (Post 8628654)
How common is it to have a run in with poisonous animals of Australia? Thanks

It is said by locals round here (S.W. Vic - Rural) that you will only find a snake when you go looking for one. We have red backs in the garden and have seen the odd white tail in the house. Neither are necessarily fatal.

However, huntsman are common. They are very big and ugly. They make a mess when you squish them. Some say that they bite, some say that they don't. Some say that they are poisonous, some not.

Do, however, check your mailbox for wolf spiders. They will chase you down the road.

Funny, in all the "love it, hate it" stories, snakes and spiders seldom seem to be a factor.

gmralston Jun 13th 2010 3:35 am

Originally Posted by CrunchieFrog (Post 8629258)

The 2006 statistics figure of Road deaths per 100 million vehicle kilometres travelled, for both countries are:

Why did you only show half of the data set from your own source ?

* 0.4 Australian Capital Territory, Australia
* 0.6 Victoria, Australia
* 0.6 United Kingdom
* 0.7 Queensland, Australia
* 0.8 New South Wales, Australia
* 0.8 South Australia
* 0.9 Western Australia
* 1.1 Tasmania, Australia
* 2.6 Northern Territory, Australia

How do they work out 100 million vehicle kilometres travelled? How do know how far everyone travelled?

Back on topic:
I have still not seen anything poisonous yet, I hear about people having Redbacks in the garden but I have not seen any.

ABCDiamond Jun 13th 2010 4:29 am

Originally Posted by CrunchieFrog (Post 8629258)
Why did you only show half of the data set from your own source ?

* 0.4 Australian Capital Territory, Australia
* 0.6 Victoria, Australia
* 0.6 United Kingdom
* 0.7 Queensland, Australia
* 0.8 New South Wales, Australia
* 0.8 South Australia
* 0.9 Western Australia
* 1.1 Tasmania, Australia
* 2.6 Northern Territory, Australia

Because I wanted people to search for the rest, and find it at my website :thumbsup:

And it works :D

ABCDiamond Jun 13th 2010 4:30 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8629283)
because that was the cut-off point for where his stats looked good. Lies, damned lies and statistics and all that. :)

Statistics, not lies :lol:

CrunchieFrog Jun 13th 2010 4:37 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8629396)
Statistics, not lies :lol:

Indeed. Lies are less dangerous. And getting back to the point of the thread, the local flora and fauna is less dangerous than both on a day to day basis.

quoll Jun 13th 2010 8:48 am

Yup in central Sydney more likely to die from a drive by shooting than a redback bite

Pollyana Jun 13th 2010 9:23 am

Anyone mentioned the deadly dropbears yet? :eek:

shears Jun 13th 2010 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8629693)
Anyone mentioned the deadly dropbears yet? :eek:

Pollyanna there's no need for that scaremongering ... we've only seen 1 the whole time we've been here

:p

Pollyana Jun 13th 2010 10:19 am

Originally Posted by shears (Post 8629733)
Pollyanna there's no need for that scaremongering ... we've only seen 1 the whole time we've been here

:p

Did it land on you or were you able to avoid it? :sneaky:

shears Jun 13th 2010 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8629751)
Did it land on you or were you able to avoid it? :sneaky:

It landed on my husband but he did the right thing by staying still until it went on its merry way ... I just legged it with the kids :lol:

Pollyana Jun 13th 2010 10:29 am

Originally Posted by shears (Post 8629758)
It landed on my husband but he did the right thing by staying still until it went on its merry way ... I just legged it with the kids :lol:

:lol: Sounds like a good plan to me :D

wilf70 Jun 13th 2010 12:36 pm

Those road death figures are very high---a friend over there said Australians were the worlds worst drivers--seems he was right and I was wrong[told him he was exaggerating]:frown:

ABCDiamond Jun 13th 2010 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by wilf70 (Post 8629925)
Those road death figures are very high---a friend over there said Australians were the worlds worst drivers--seems he was right and I was wrong[told him he was exaggerating]:frown:

Was he in the Northern Territory then ?

If he was in the ACT or Victoria you would have been right :thumbup:

fish.01 Jun 15th 2010 9:35 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8629954)
Was he in the Northern Territory then ?

If he was in the ACT or Victoria you would have been right :thumbup:

And it wouldn't have mattered which state his friend would have been wrong....lots of worse places in the world....unless the world to him just means the UK & Australia :)

Sea Of Love Jun 15th 2010 10:03 am

I grew up in the suburbs near Sydney and dangerous things are few and far between. I mean I know not to go putting my hands under things like BBQ's and not leave my shoes out for days on end but other never. We sometimes get blue tongue lizards in my backyard which will kill me from fright but not a bite.

I often am out on the farm a lot and not so much the spiders but occasionally you will see a snake. I could probably count on my fingers how many times I have seen a snake. However I have some rather scary/funny stories;
#1 as a child I was running through the bush with my friend and her younger brother. me and her brother ran a bit ahead of her and like all 8 year old she calls out to me "you love my brother because your running together" so I turn around and stop to wait for her to catch up. Then I look down and there is a snake wiggling under my foot. Needless to say I didn't care what she said and ran ahead:rofl:

#2 a few months ago I was leading one of the horses into the stable. It was a little dark in the stable and i had sunglasses on also so couldn't see all that well. As I turned around the horse put its head in a feed bucket and I saw something move in the corner of my eye so I have a closer look and there is a python curled up in the feed bucket. I ran out with the horse screaming like a little girl.

This is on a farm though, wouldn't happen in the city.