Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poisonous animals of Australia

Poisonous animals of Australia

Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:35 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poisonous animals of Australia

Originally Posted by Sushimania
How common is it to have a run in with poisonous animals of Australia? Thanks
It is said by locals round here (S.W. Vic - Rural) that you will only find a snake when you go looking for one. We have red backs in the garden and have seen the odd white tail in the house. Neither are necessarily fatal.

However, huntsman are common. They are very big and ugly. They make a mess when you squish them. Some say that they bite, some say that they don't. Some say that they are poisonous, some not.

Do, however, check your mailbox for wolf spiders. They will chase you down the road.

Funny, in all the "love it, hate it" stories, snakes and spiders seldom seem to be a factor.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CrunchieFrog

The 2006 statistics figure of Road deaths per 100 million vehicle kilometres travelled, for both countries are:

Why did you only show half of the data set from your own source ?

* 0.4 Australian Capital Territory, Australia
* 0.6 Victoria, Australia
* 0.6 United Kingdom
* 0.7 Queensland, Australia
* 0.8 New South Wales, Australia
* 0.8 South Australia
* 0.9 Western Australia
* 1.1 Tasmania, Australia
* 2.6 Northern Territory, Australia
How do they work out 100 million vehicle kilometres travelled? How do know how far everyone travelled?

Back on topic:
I have still not seen anything poisonous yet, I hear about people having Redbacks in the garden but I have not seen any.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by CrunchieFrog
Why did you only show half of the data set from your own source ?

* 0.4 Australian Capital Territory, Australia
* 0.6 Victoria, Australia
* 0.6 United Kingdom
* 0.7 Queensland, Australia
* 0.8 New South Wales, Australia
* 0.8 South Australia
* 0.9 Western Australia
* 1.1 Tasmania, Australia
* 2.6 Northern Territory, Australia
Because I wanted people to search for the rest, and find it at my website

And it works

Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
because that was the cut-off point for where his stats looked good. Lies, damned lies and statistics and all that.
Statistics, not lies

Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

CrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Statistics, not lies
Indeed. Lies are less dangerous. And getting back to the point of the thread, the local flora and fauna is less dangerous than both on a day to day basis.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup in central Sydney more likely to die from a drive by shooting than a redback bite
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone mentioned the deadly dropbears yet?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Anyone mentioned the deadly dropbears yet?
Pollyanna there's no need for that scaremongering ... we've only seen 1 the whole time we've been here

Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:19 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shears
Pollyanna there's no need for that scaremongering ... we've only seen 1 the whole time we've been here

Did it land on you or were you able to avoid it?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Did it land on you or were you able to avoid it?
It landed on my husband but he did the right thing by staying still until it went on its merry way ... I just legged it with the kids
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:29 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by shears
It landed on my husband but he did the right thing by staying still until it went on its merry way ... I just legged it with the kids
Sounds like a good plan to me
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough
Angry Re: Poisonous animals of Australia

Those road death figures are very high---a friend over there said Australians were the worlds worst drivers--seems he was right and I was wrong[told him he was exaggerating]
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:50 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wilf70
Those road death figures are very high---a friend over there said Australians were the worlds worst drivers--seems he was right and I was wrong[told him he was exaggerating]
Was he in the Northern Territory then ?

If he was in the ACT or Victoria you would have been right

Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Was he in the Northern Territory then ?

If he was in the ACT or Victoria you would have been right
And it wouldn't have mattered which state his friend would have been wrong....lots of worse places in the world....unless the world to him just means the UK & Australia
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Sea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to all

I grew up in the suburbs near Sydney and dangerous things are few and far between. I mean I know not to go putting my hands under things like BBQ's and not leave my shoes out for days on end but other never. We sometimes get blue tongue lizards in my backyard which will kill me from fright but not a bite.

I often am out on the farm a lot and not so much the spiders but occasionally you will see a snake. I could probably count on my fingers how many times I have seen a snake. However I have some rather scary/funny stories;
#1 as a child I was running through the bush with my friend and her younger brother. me and her brother ran a bit ahead of her and like all 8 year old she calls out to me "you love my brother because your running together" so I turn around and stop to wait for her to catch up. Then I look down and there is a snake wiggling under my foot. Needless to say I didn't care what she said and ran ahead

#2 a few months ago I was leading one of the horses into the stable. It was a little dark in the stable and i had sunglasses on also so couldn't see all that well. As I turned around the horse put its head in a feed bucket and I saw something move in the corner of my eye so I have a closer look and there is a python curled up in the feed bucket. I ran out with the horse screaming like a little girl.

This is on a farm though, wouldn't happen in the city.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.