Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

points on driving licence

points on driving licence

Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice
Unhappy points on driving licence

Hi,
Probably nothing to worry about about, but I just wondered whether speeding points are frowned on when you convert to an Aus licence.
I have 3 points which run out in June, may need to use a car for work.
Hubby just been flashed going 36 in 30 and waiting to hear, as this will be his first 3 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!He also may need a vehicle for work.
I appreciate speeding points are pretty common but i just wondered whether they might go against us when we transfer to an Aus licence.
Grateful for any of your thoughts, Jackie
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future
Default Re: points on driving licence

Originally Posted by jackie barden
Hi,
Probably nothing to worry about about, but I just wondered whether speeding points are frowned on when you convert to an Aus licence.
I have 3 points which run out in June, may need to use a car for work.
Hubby just been flashed going 36 in 30 and waiting to hear, as this will be his first 3 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!He also may need a vehicle for work.
I appreciate speeding points are pretty common but i just wondered whether they might go against us when we transfer to an Aus licence.
Grateful for any of your thoughts, Jackie
They will never know. Stop worrying.

Mike.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
They will never know. Stop worrying.

Mike.
Thanks Mike,
Thought that would be the answer!! Jackie
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:22 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby just been flashed going 36 in 30 and waiting to hear, as this will be his first 3 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You may find this link useful

http://rac.com.au/go/community-and-i...demerit-points
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:22 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jackie barden
Thanks Mike,
Thought that would be the answer!! Jackie
Hey it might help you!!! In Australia (I know NSW, TAS and VIC)they start with points and them take them off you. Maybe you will start with 15??
Gary and Vikky
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Hey it might help you!!! In Australia (I know NSW, TAS and VIC)they start with points and them take them off you. Maybe you will start with 15??
Gary and Vikky
Hey Gary and vikky, That sounds a better way of doing it!!
I will keep thinking positively.
Thanks Sharon, I will go on your link,
Jackie
Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

devilishdean will become famous soon enoughdevilishdean will become famous soon enough

Hi,
I was wondering the same thin. got 3 for speeding 2 years ago.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

My husband has 3 points on his uk licence. He had to send it off and the points were written on the paper part of it( not the photocard bit though). I would have thought when you show the licence over there they would see it. Don't know whether this would carry over to Oz though. Hope not as he has 2 more years left before they come off!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:17 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

When you convert to an Australian licence NONE of your UK points are transferred with it. You have a clean slate.

Bear in mind that people here generally try to keep to the limits more - thanks to the relentless mobile camera units. We dont have nice signs telling you that there is a camera ahead, just a white 4x4 with a snorkle and camera housing that will be concealed in a bush to get you just when limits change normally

So good news for most of you then
Old Mar 28th 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
We dont have nice signs telling you that there is a camera ahead, just a white 4x4 with a snorkle and camera housing that will be concealed in a bush to get you just when limits change normally
Unless you are in NSW in which case they speed camera will be just after the 3rd speed camera warning sign Of course this doesn't protect you from the mobile units tho who are very sneaky. I saw a policeman up a tree a few days ago with a radar gun
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a question.
When I finally get to 12 points and lose my licence - which by extrapolating the last 18 months will be sometime in the middle of 2008 - do my points go back to zero when I get my licence back?
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion
When you convert to an Australian licence NONE of your UK points are transferred with it. You have a clean slate.

Bear in mind that people here generally try to keep to the limits more - thanks to the relentless mobile camera units. We dont have nice signs telling you that there is a camera ahead, just a white 4x4 with a snorkle and camera housing that will be concealed in a bush to get you just when limits change normally

So good news for most of you then
Thanks Centurion, That is reassuring.
I know there are more important things to worry about, but was panicking in case possible jobs ask for clean licences!!
Best wishes, Jackie
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

yep I got 6 points on my british licence but now 0 on my Aussie one.

Nice one.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 2:48 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

Bear in mind that people here generally try to keep to the limits more
-

Yep you will find it very difficult to speed at times. We were running late for a wedding down in Mandurah a few Sundays back. So one of those occasions when you want to risk going 10-20km over the 100km freeway speed limit. Trouble was for most of the journey all the lanes in front of us had cars next to each other doing the speed limit. Common sence would say leave a lane empty for people to get past but no not over here. Drivers will sit in lanes next to each other doing the same speed while you are left trapped behind cursing .:curse: Yes you guessed we arrived late to the Wedding
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:03 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharon_gareth
-

Yep you will find it very difficult to speed at times. We were running late for a wedding down in Mandurah a few Sundays back. So one of those occasions when you want to risk going 10-20km over the 100km freeway speed limit. Trouble was for most of the journey all the lanes in front of us had cars next to each other doing the speed limit. Common sence would say leave a lane empty for people to get past but no not over here. Drivers will sit in lanes next to each other doing the same speed while you are left trapped behind cursing .:curse: Yes you guessed we arrived late to the Wedding
Yeah no dramas, i've got a few points in the UK, here in Bris they dont ask for youre old licence. You have to sit the written exam and then you start with a clean licence with 12 demerit points. If you then get caught you lose the points for three years, be careful thou some times around public holidays the points double.
Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.