Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pointless English Spellings

Pointless English Spellings

Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

All you immigrants emigrating down under should be aware that before you arrive it is called Australia but once you get through the airport on arrival here it becomes Austraia.

Just as when you take the A23 south from London. You head for Brighton but arrive in Brighon.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Worth a read

Originally posted by sjn2003
I'm definitely a stickler !! My wife just thinks I'm a bit sad !!
I'm currently reading a guide to building your vocabulary, my boyfriend thinks I'm a geek. He ignores me now whenever I point out spelling and grammatical errors on signs/TV etc. I'm hoping it's still a quirky characteristic
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worth a read

Originally posted by Nara
I'm currently reading a guide to building your vocabulary, my boyfriend thinks I'm a geek. He ignores me now whenever I point out spelling and grammatical errors on signs/TV etc. I'm hoping it's still a quirky characteristic

LOL! I go to bed reading my dictionary or Encyclopaedia of the English Language. My husband thinks I'm weird!

It's a nice trait to have!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I did Latin at school too - Ecce Romani was the series of books involved, and what a bore it was, but bizarrely useful in later life in normally irrelevant scenarios such as this.

My pet hate is losing, or to be more specific people who always write loosing. It just irks me.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by RichS
I did Latin at school too - Ecce Romani was the series of books involved, and what a bore it was, but bizarrely useful in later life in normally irrelevant scenarios such as this.

My pet hate is losing, or to be more specific people who always write loosing. It just irks me.
One of my pet hates is the old 'apostophe s'....
people with thing's
the dogs got it's bone

that sort of stuff....

Not worth people pointing it out on the forum though, in situations like this spelling, punctuation etc don't usually matter to the general meaning of the post. As mentioned earlier, it's on printed media that it's not accepable.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 4:20 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Funny .... dagboy mentioned only the other day that he hadn't, as yet, corrected anyone's spelling or grammar on here - now it looks like he will be in good company of he does .

I'm not as much of a nazi as he is (his comes from having a father that was a foreign correspondent with the Times!), but some things do irk me as well. Like the losing/loosing thing, I corrected dotty on that one a few weeks back, sorry dotty .

And the sign thing just annoys the hell out of me ...... if someone can't spell things correctly, why the hell advertise the fact by becoming a signwriter? Even worse, the customer who ordered the sign in the first place obviously doesn't know the difference - I know I wouldn't be paying for a sign that wasn't even spelt right!

My bad habit when I am typing in this sort of situation (forum/chat etc) is to leave out apostrophes. Pure laziness because I can't type (I type with 2 fingers) & it takes longer to put them in. Sometimes I go back & add them when I do a quick proof-read of my post, but most of the time I don't bother. This time I did .

I wouldn't point it out to anyone, especially not on a forum like this, how bad their spelling was - unless they were making a point about how badly someone else was educated.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 4:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have two pet hates - not on forums like this, where we all type quickly (and often under the affluence of incohol) and I am as guilty as anyone of incorrect grammar - but on signs and things meant for public consumption.
The first is apostrophes (sorry Mrs D!) - I just think that if a sign is out for people to read, the shopkeeper or whoever should check its correct! Makes me doubt the quality of the goods sometimes - after all, would you order printed stationery from somewhere that seems incapable of spelling correctly?!!
The other is the increasingly awful trend for lower case letters everywhere. How can you teach children when to use capital letters if they then go to the pictures and see all the names in lower case? Very annoying!!
Ok, that's my rant for the day........:lecture:
Old Nov 6th 2003, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Phonetic spelling....aaargh!
Kwiksave
Toys R Us

There's a soccer team here called the 'Sydney Kingz' - the name gets me every time I see it printed!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 4:43 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the "modern" way of spelling things ie the way people text message. "I waz just going 2 go ova & c if u waz there" sort of thing .. makes me want to shake people.

Does that make me an*l?

Oh & Polly I think its "should check it's correct"
Old Nov 6th 2003, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
I hate the "modern" way of spelling things ie the way people text message. "I waz just going 2 go ova & c if u waz there" sort of thing .. makes me want to shake people.
..and even worse when they use text speak in email or on chat forums like this....as if they only have 256 characters available!!

NEWAY, L8R!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nara
One of my pet hates is the old 'apostophe s'....
people with thing's
the dogs got it's bone

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That really gets me too Nara but the thing is I CAN"T REMEMBER THE RULES!!!! I used to be good at English but I've totally forgotten the 's thing, can you give me a wee lesson, also when using inverted commas do you include the ? or ! before or after the ".

Thank you
A grateful pupil!!!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:31 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I did something called 'I T A' at primary school. My school was one of the last in the UK to abolish it.

An example was....... 'mie mummie'
it's hard to show on here but we had to join the 'i'and the 'e' together.

Has anyone else heard of ITA ???

I blame this way of writing on my spelling!!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

??????????????? Sounds mad. So did you write words that ended with a y as ie?
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:45 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DianeOZ
??????????????? Sounds mad. So did you write words that ended with a y as ie?

Yes, strange isn't it!!!!

I've just had a look on the internet and found it means

the Initial Teaching Alphabet

www.unifon.org/ita-eval.html

At least I know I wasn't dreaming about doing it!!!!!

Last edited by janeyray; Nov 6th 2003 at 6:48 am.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:17 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Phonetic spelling....aaargh!
Kwiksave
Toys R Us

There's a soccer team here called the 'Sydney Kingz' - the name gets me every time I see it printed!
Exactly, with you on that one. What about American spelling as well. We have a couple of vans that drive around our area from the Builders Center and the Plumbers Center. I feel like correcting the signwriting. Even if they are American owned please don't spell it that way. I used to like the Travel(l)ing Wilbury's as well.

I was just thinking how I like word play jokes. For example, I can remember some on the Benny Hill Show (which of course is not PC now!). One was a little shop with a sign musician up the top. It was closed and stuck on the door was a sign 'Bach in a Minuet'. They came back later and it was still closed and the sign said 'Gone Chopin' Well, I thought they were funny. He also had a character who had a caption come up every time he appeared - Hugh Jarse

Anyone got any others?

I am a school teacher and have to mark endless spelling mistakes, txt style, incorrect capitalisation (or z ), incorrect apostrophes etc so this is one reason why I am a stickler. Don't get me onto the standard of mental arithmetic these days - largely due to calculators. I asked a class of 14 year olds the other day about percentages. I said 5% is equal to 1 in how many and nobody could tell me 1 in 5 (that's a joke).

Have you also noticed how many people type Britian in this forum. I suppose we should be pleased it isn't Grate Britian

As someone said, that's my rant for the day and as Mrs D said we probably should just let the mistakes pass unless someone mentions how superior their education was - like the person who compared their education in the UK 25 years ago with what they thought Australian education was today.

TennisOz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.