Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Point Cook Victoria?

Point Cook Victoria?

Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

The Moore Family will become famous soon enoughThe Moore Family will become famous soon enough
Question Point Cook Victoria?

Hi, is there anyone who can give us some info about Point Cook in Victoria.
We are thinking about moving here in August and need some info about house prices, schools etc.
Does anyone know why the houses are so cheap here, is there a nuclear power station next door or something?

Thanks

Last edited by The Moore Family; Jan 29th 2007 at 9:53 pm. Reason: .
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:53 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Point Cook Victoria?

Originally Posted by The Moore Family
Hi, is there anyone who can give us some info about Point Cook in Victoria.
We are thinking about moving here in August and need some info about house prices, schools etc.

Thanks
$300-350k for a four bed house.

Quite a few schools for young kids but no secondary schools and the general opinion from people we've spoke to is they're not very good.

Our boy starts school Thursday and the preps and first year share the same classroom which does sound odd but not too sure how it works.

Where in Essex are you from?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

The Moore Family will become famous soon enoughThe Moore Family will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Point Cook Victoria?

Hi, thanks for your reply, we are from Saffron Walden near Stansted.
Where are you from and where are you living now?
We are looking at Point Cook because it looks really nice for the money but thought there must be a catch somewhere, i've heard that Altona schools are quite good but not sure how far they are.

Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:23 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking at Point Cook because it looks really nice for the money but thought there must be a catch somewhere, i've heard that Altona schools are quite good but not sure how far they are.

Thanks
We live in Point cook. Altona is about a 5 minute drive.

There are some good schools here but they are catholic.

We're from Barkingside.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

murdy is an unknown quantity at this point

Altona primary school is not a catholic school and is a fantastic school,our kids go there and have settled well and the education offered there is of a very high standard.We did alot of research before we headed out and settled where we are in order for the kids to be near that school,beach,trains into city for work etc and its been great.With regards secondary i have very little to offer except friends of mine have kids at werribee and they have setled well there and another has one at a private school in tugannia so worth looking at.
good luck
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
The catch is that there is loads of industry nearby, empty land, and not a lot else...

Williamstown is the one nice suburb that side.

But that is just my opinion...
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by murdy
Altona primary school is not a catholic school and is a fantastic school,our kids go there and have settled well and the education offered there is of a very high standard.We did alot of research before we headed out and settled where we are in order for the kids to be near that school,beach,trains into city for work etc and its been great.With regards secondary i have very little to offer except friends of mine have kids at werribee and they have setled well there and another has one at a private school in tugannia so worth looking at.
good luck
I was talking about point cook, not Altona.

I agree with Cas to be honest, it's not the best side of town.

Altona is OK I suppose not much there though, a very ordinary beach.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Courtney will become famous soon enough

Hi There

I am actually from that side if Melbourne, my dad worked at Point Cook at the air force base. I have lived in the UK for 20 years and now live on the Gold Coast. I love my home town of Hoppers Crossing and I love that side of Melbourne. It is vast and very flat compared to the eastern suburbs but I grew up there and love it. The only reason I don't live there now is that Melbourne can get very cold and i was home for Xmas and it was freezing....guess I am a Queenslander now!! Poiny cook is very close to the city, has a great area called Sactuary Lakes. It has grown considerably and it can only get bigger so investment wise it would be rewarding. It may be after living in London for years that I love the feeling of space in around Point Cook, Werribee and Hoppers....

Good luck in your decision
Courtney