Reload this Page >

Point Cook, Melbourne

Point Cook, Melbourne

Old Feb 14th 2012, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

lcgeordie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Point Cook, Melbourne

Originally Posted by bcworld
My OH's parents live there and the spot they are in is idyllic!

It's very, very leafy and does have a semi-rural feel. As ozzie said there is the fire risk...the inlaws are putting in a fire bunker right now actually! I think if you saw Point Cook from the air you'd struggle to spot any kind of vegetation!

We can drive to the city off peak very quickly...often as little as 20-25 minutes. Getting the train in from there is a breeze too...I probably wouldn't drive to the city at peak times although I have done it leaving early like a lot of people do, say about 630am and had no problems.

If shopping is important Doncaster is very close.

To me, Eltham just has a sort of 'good life' feeling. The Shire of Nillumbik, I remember was rated the 3rd best LGA to live in in Australia a couple of years back.

Beaches are further away (I genuinely don't think most Melburnians could give a toss! )...the Yarra Valley and wineries are on your doorstep.

Property prices are reasonable for established Melbourne too.

Thanks for that good bit of advice!!

Lynsey
Old Feb 14th 2012, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stick to plan A. Eltham is a good spot!
Eltham is gorgeous, wish i lived there, quite a few of the ozzie nurses i work with aspire to live there (they have bought in cheaper nearby suburbs with the intention of getting to Eltham), but as bcworld said for an established place the house prices are reasonable.

Last edited by Margaret3; Feb 14th 2012 at 9:47 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'd agree that Eltham is a better spot... however I'm going to try and post some positives about Point Cook.

Probably easier to drive to the city.... Out of rush hour that is
More bang for buck with very large houses. Probably 30 to 40pct cheaper than Eltham
Better shopping Centers... Hoppers Crossing is supposedly going to end up bigger than Highpoint.
Much closer to beaches.
More jobs closer to home.

I'm loath to post some negatives about Eltham as I really like the place... but in the interest of balance compared to the other posts in the thread. I'll give it a go.

Hilly and Bush fire prone area.... You will eventually see a Bush fire close to you around here.
Shopping center only average with a decent drive to the closest at Greensborough and Doncaster (AFAIK)
I'd be amazed if the roads run more freely here than Point Cook. Traffic has always been a nightmare when I've been there.

Having said that.... I'd prefer to live in Eltham. I'd rent and see where your Partner finds most work.

Comes down to Point Cook is new and still be established. Eltham was established decades ago.
Just wanted to correct you about the driving time to Greensborough, it takes under 10 minutes to get to Greensborough Plaza (quite a large shopping centre with all you can need, including supermarkets) and to be honest, in the 2 years we've lived here, we have not found traffic a problem, as long as you know the back ways, and there are plenty!
My OH's parents live there and the spot they are in is idyllic!

It's very, very leafy and does have a semi-rural feel. As ozzie said there is the fire risk...the inlaws are putting in a fire bunker right now actually! I think if you saw Point Cook from the air you'd struggle to spot any kind of vegetation!

We can drive to the city off peak very quickly...often as little as 20-25 minutes. Getting the train in from there is a breeze too...I probably wouldn't drive to the city at peak times although I have done it leaving early like a lot of people do, say about 630am and had no problems.

If shopping is important Doncaster is very close.

To me, Eltham just has a sort of 'good life' feeling. The Shire of Nillumbik, I remember was rated the 3rd best LGA to live in in Australia a couple of years back.

Beaches are further away (I genuinely don't think most Melburnians could give a toss! )...the Yarra Valley and wineries are on your doorstep.

Property prices are reasonable for established Melbourne too.
I agree with all of the above. I work in North Melbourne and when I do the afternoon shift it takes me under 35 minutes to get there in the car.
Originally Posted by Margaret3
Eltham is gorgeous, wish i lived there, quite a few of the ozzie nurses i work with aspire to live there (they have bought in cheaper nearby suburbs with the intention of getting to Eltham), but as bcworld said for an established place the house prices are reasonable.
Some of the surrounding suburbs are quite nice too although the better ones are probably further out. Still, Greensborough has some nice pockets and Watsonia is not bad. Both before Eltham on the train line.

Personally, I would never move to Point Cook or one of the new sprawling suburbs, even if it meant having a smaller house. They are way too much like concrete jungles with oversized houses on small blocks and hardly anything green in sight. Only my humble opinion of course
Old Feb 15th 2012, 5:40 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Personally, I would never move to Point Cook or one of the new sprawling suburbs, even if it meant having a smaller house. They are way too much like concrete jungles with oversized houses on small blocks and hardly anything green in sight. Only my humble opinion of course
Just have to say, I looked at that general area, and from a rental perspective I rapidly got disenchanted. The quality and repair of the rentals was v poor, the trek into the city seemed longer (both road and rail) and the general setup of the housing areas seemed more of a mess. Once I found the Sanctuary Lakes area of Point Cook had enough space and greenery (and water) compared to the tracts of housing on the other side - it was an easy choice.

Of course, if you have a job out east then its an OK area, but from a blank sheet, and particularly renting, it wouldn't be my first choice.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

hobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nice

Originally Posted by lcgeordie
Hi,

My Partner attended a roadshow regarding emigration on sunday as was told about a new development being built in Melbourne. We were originally thinking of Eltham, Victoria. Does anyone on this site live at or near point cook who could kindly give any advice.

Regards
Lynsey
Agent at the Immigration show must have been on a good commission!!!! Check out Google Earth the make your own conclusions!
Old Feb 15th 2012, 11:46 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hobbis
Agent at the Immigration show must have been on a good commission!!!! Check out Google Earth the make your own conclusions!
Is it up to date?
Old Feb 15th 2012, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Is it up to date?
Good point try Near Maps instead.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 7:53 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

good tool,didn't know about that one.Have a look at werribee south,I think that's where they got the colour scheme for Fed Square.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[

Some of the surrounding suburbs are quite nice too although the better ones are probably further out. Still, Greensborough has some nice pockets and Watsonia is not bad. Both before Eltham on the train line.

We looked at buying in watsonia, but i just couldnt bear to move my daughter from school

Last edited by Margaret3; Feb 15th 2012 at 10:47 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
[

We looked at buying in watsonia, but i just couldnt bear to move my daughter from school
Eltham High is one of those schools that has a great reputation.... even this far away.

It would have to be in the top 10pct in the state.... same as Glen Waverley, Mckinnon. Uni High. Northcote, Princess hill etc. they all have similar Uni intakes as the private schools.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:12 am
Just Joined

lcgeordie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for being so helpful!! Will look into everything!!

Lynsey
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

We arrived in Australia 18 months ago. Affordable rentals are quite scarse in Eltham so our plan was to move to Point Cook for one year in a cheap rental and then move out to Eltham once we had some time to find something we like. 18 months later we are still in Point Cook. We love it and we are not going anywhere soon.
We still love Eltham and would probably have been happy had we moved there initially but it is CONSIDERABLY more expensive than Point Cook, and I have now gotten spoilt by being so close to the city. My hubby works in IT in the city and leaves home at 6:30am to avoid traffic. He gets to work by 7 and then is home by 4:30 Weekends and evenings we are in the city in 30 minutes.Also Laverton Station is zone 1, Eltham is zone 2 so if travelling by train Eltham is much more expensive
I really rate the Point Cook town centre and all new facilities such as super library, toy library, etc. We are in the Alamander estate so have fiber optic internet, as well as use of the gym, pool, tennis courts etc. There are amazing playgrounds within 5 minutes walk from my house and all have BBQ facilites etc. So I get all this and a massive 4 bedroom house with rumpus, deck, yard etc for $400 per week. It is very difficult to find anything in Eltham for that price. I have also found the people in Point Cook incredibly friendly as everyone is "new" and eager to make friend. The only drawback is the schooling but there are good primary options (Seabrook, Heathdale). I am hoping by the time my eldest 3 reaches high school things have improved, or else we will pay for private. But having done the math it is still cheaper to buy in Point Cook and send our two kids private than buy in Eltham. Good luck with your decision. It is certainly not as easy or straightforward as we though it would be. At the end of the day you would probably be happy in both places, so the question really is can you afford the premium for the leafy hills.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 11:21 am
Just Joined

inthedeep is an unknown quantity at this point

Lcgeordie - are you from Newcastle upon Tyne?

Me and my partner moved out from the north east 2 years who, live in port Melbourne now but have been back n forth on point cook and whether to live there and have now decided to take the plunge.

Internet is not a problem if you choose the estate wisely - look for the ones with fibre optic cables and you're sorted. The older estates rely on Telstra nd there's very few ports available for connection.

You should definitely visit a few times, the more I go over there the more I am wowed by the area. I hated it first time I went.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lynetteh
We arrived in Australia 18 months ago. Affordable rentals are quite scarse in Eltham so our plan was to move to Point Cook for one year in a cheap rental and then move out to Eltham once we had some time to find something we like. 18 months later we are still in Point Cook. We love it and we are not going anywhere soon.
We still love Eltham and would probably have been happy had we moved there initially but it is CONSIDERABLY more expensive than Point Cook, and I have now gotten spoilt by being so close to the city. My hubby works in IT in the city and leaves home at 6:30am to avoid traffic. He gets to work by 7 and then is home by 4:30 Weekends and evenings we are in the city in 30 minutes.Also Laverton Station is zone 1, Eltham is zone 2 so if travelling by train Eltham is much more expensive
I really rate the Point Cook town centre and all new facilities such as super library, toy library, etc. We are in the Alamander estate so have fiber optic internet, as well as use of the gym, pool, tennis courts etc. There are amazing playgrounds within 5 minutes walk from my house and all have BBQ facilites etc. So I get all this and a massive 4 bedroom house with rumpus, deck, yard etc for $400 per week. It is very difficult to find anything in Eltham for that price. I have also found the people in Point Cook incredibly friendly as everyone is "new" and eager to make friend. The only drawback is the schooling but there are good primary options (Seabrook, Heathdale). I am hoping by the time my eldest 3 reaches high school things have improved, or else we will pay for private. But having done the math it is still cheaper to buy in Point Cook and send our two kids private than buy in Eltham. Good luck with your decision. It is certainly not as easy or straightforward as we though it would be. At the end of the day you would probably be happy in both places, so the question really is can you afford the premium for the leafy hills.

Great to see a positive view for Point Cook from someone that actually lives there.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Another article about Point Cook and the likes from today's Age
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/-1v3a9.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.