Reload this Page >

Point Cook, Melbourne

Point Cook, Melbourne

Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:00 am
Just Joined

lcgeordie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Point Cook, Melbourne

Hi,

My Partner attended a roadshow regarding emigration on sunday as was told about a new development being built in Melbourne. We were originally thinking of Eltham, Victoria. Does anyone on this site live at or near point cook who could kindly give any advice.

Regards
Lynsey
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:10 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of
Default Re: Point Cook, Melbourne

http://theage.domain.com.au/real-est...208-1reto.html
this is almost exactly the articles that were being written about Point Cook 5 years ago, but this is this weeks Age.
point cook is growing faster than the infrastructure, roads, schools, internet and all.
I am sure Point Cook WILL be a good place to live, eventually. but the services are woefully behind the population growth they are currently experiencing.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:19 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

If I lived in Point Cook I'd be investing in a gyro-copter.The traffic is a nightmare.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys for your advice!!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:40 am

Just noticed your OH is a brickie.There's loads of work in Point Cook so it would be right on your doorstep.No need for the gyrocopter
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:49 am
Just Joined

lol to gyrocopter!! How do you know he is a bricky? Are you near pointcook? Can you advise any nice places to live not to far from melbourne. We have 2 children aged 6 and 2 so would like to be near parks, shops and schools.

Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by lcgeordie
lol to gyrocopter!! How do you know he is a bricky? Are you near pointcook? Can you advise any nice places to live not to far from melbourne. We have 2 children aged 6 and 2 so would like to be near parks, shops and schools.

Thanks
Yes,not too far away.For info check your private messages.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derab
[url]
I am sure Point Cook WILL be a good place to live, eventually. but the services are woefully behind the population growth they are currently experiencing.
It is a good place to live now for families, but you are correct about the services.

Biggest problem is the internet and public transport, some areas of Point Cook do not even have ADSL. Also schools vary greatly in their reputation, and the local secondary school is relatively new.

I work from home and flexible hours, only need to be in the city occasionally so I always leave after 9am and usually my commute is no more that 25-30 mins.

Our son is in Seabrook primary which is the best in the area and we have fibre internet to the house.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:03 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the area and while I'd agree with the infrastructure failures of the state government - I'd still say you need to look at the area. When I came here I looked around the SE suburbs, but the price vs quality vs distance aspects were ridiculous. If I'd wanted to live in London, I'd have done so.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

hobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nicehobbis is just really nice

Drove through Point Cook at weekend. Huge housing estate. If you want to live in a concrete jungle, it's for you. . Eltham is an established semi rural suburb Famed for its artist colony. In my opinion, yu can't compare the two. Housing in Point Cook is cheap
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:10 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

We were originally thinking of Eltham, Victoria.
Stick to plan A. Eltham is a good spot!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks bcworld!! Can I ask why?
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree that Eltham is a better spot... however I'm going to try and post some positives about Point Cook.

Probably easier to drive to the city.... Out of rush hour that is
More bang for buck with very large houses. Probably 30 to 40pct cheaper than Eltham
Better shopping Centers... Hoppers Crossing is supposedly going to end up bigger than Highpoint.
Much closer to beaches.
More jobs closer to home.

I'm loath to post some negatives about Eltham as I really like the place... but in the interest of balance compared to the other posts in the thread. I'll give it a go.

Hilly and Bush fire prone area.... You will eventually see a Bush fire close to you around here.
Shopping center only average with a decent drive to the closest at Greensborough and Doncaster (AFAIK)
I'd be amazed if the roads run more freely here than Point Cook. Traffic has always been a nightmare when I've been there.

Having said that.... I'd prefer to live in Eltham. I'd rent and see where your Partner finds most work.

Comes down to Point Cook is new and still be established. Eltham was established decades ago.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'd agree that Eltham is a better spot... however I'm going to try and post some positives about Point Cook.

Probably easier to drive to the city.... Out of rush hour that is
More bang for buck with very large houses. Probably 30 to 40pct cheaper than Eltham
Better shopping Centers... Hoppers Crossing is supposedly going to end up bigger than Highpoint.
Much closer to beaches.
More jobs closer to home.

I'm loath to post some negatives about Eltham as I really like the place... but in the interest of balance compared to the other posts in the thread. I'll give it a go.

Hilly and Bush fire prone area.... You will eventually see a Bush fire close to you around here.
Shopping center only average with a decent drive to the closest at Greensborough and Doncaster (AFAIK)
I'd be amazed if the roads run more freely here than Point Cook. Traffic has always been a nightmare when I've been there.

Having said that.... I'd prefer to live in Eltham. I'd rent and see where your Partner finds most work.

Comes down to Point Cook is new and still be established. Eltham was established decades ago.
Thanks for this interesting piece of info!! My great uncle lives in Eltham so OH is flying out in May to stay with him and work and have a look at areas. We were originally planning on Eltham but when OH was at a roadshow on sunday regarding emigration one of the guys doing the presentation for Melbourne was saying that point cook is going to be a great area to live in years to come and that all the brits currently coming to melbourne are going to point cook so he thought it would be better for us!!

Thanks
Lynsey
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:58 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks bcworld!! Can I ask why?
My OH's parents live there and the spot they are in is idyllic!

It's very, very leafy and does have a semi-rural feel. As ozzie said there is the fire risk...the inlaws are putting in a fire bunker right now actually! I think if you saw Point Cook from the air you'd struggle to spot any kind of vegetation!

We can drive to the city off peak very quickly...often as little as 20-25 minutes. Getting the train in from there is a breeze too...I probably wouldn't drive to the city at peak times although I have done it leaving early like a lot of people do, say about 630am and had no problems.

If shopping is important Doncaster is very close.

To me, Eltham just has a sort of 'good life' feeling. The Shire of Nillumbik, I remember was rated the 3rd best LGA to live in in Australia a couple of years back.

Beaches are further away (I genuinely don't think most Melburnians could give a toss! )...the Yarra Valley and wineries are on your doorstep.

Property prices are reasonable for established Melbourne too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.