Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To Podgypossum Q about adelaide

To Podgypossum Q about adelaide

Old Jan 9th 2004, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To Podgypossum Q about adelaide

What do you like about adelaide. We dont need the night life and are more family focussed. Are the beaches any good. Is the weather as you expected. How does it compare to NZ. Is the cost of living similar. I still havnt made my mind up where to go in Aus.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hello

The beaches here are fantastic. Miles of sandy beaches to choose from. Either at Glenelg or many of the outer coastal suburbs. I havent found a bad one yet.

I have found the temperatures far more bareable than i thought i would!! We have had a real mixed bag since we arrived. From over 40 degrees(only the odd day here and there) to under 20 during the day. Some people may not like the huge variations but i do. The good thing is that on really hot days i just hibernate in the shopping malls which have good aircon...LOL

I would say that the cost of living is very much comparable to NZ, probably a bit cheaper. There is a much wider variety of choices available too.

There is heaps and heaps of things for kids to do. Plenty of outdoor public pools, parks,playgrounds, as well as wildlife parks. Have a look at these websites as they will tell you more than i can. My kids are all grown up

www.adelaideschild.com

www.eventspool.com

I am much happier here than in NZ. But thats a personal thing i guess. The people are incredibly friendly and helpful too. Anything else you want to know just holler. I going to pick my husband up from work now..be back later.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Podge(OR ANY OTHERS)...Can you help....??We are waiting on our 139 area des visa..Brother lives in Kirsbrok nr Adelaide and before that lived in Roseworthy.Do you know of any websites etc where i can get an big map of the adelaide subs/south oz area?The kind of fold out variety Would like to get a bit of a plan organised!!CHEERS

Scott
Old Jan 9th 2004, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hi Scott. I just had a look for you and although theres heaps of websites on SA/Adelaide maps, you have to buy them!! i'll see what i can find out in the morning
Old Jan 9th 2004, 5:25 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Try this www.wilmap.com.au/samaps/adsubs
Might be of some use.

Arron
Old Jan 9th 2004, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi..cheers buying its no prob. Any links guys???
P.s How fars Kirsbrook from Adelaide???
Old Jan 9th 2004, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hello

The beaches here are fantastic. Miles of sandy beaches to choose from. Either at Glenelg or many of the outer coastal suburbs. I havent found a bad one yet.

I have found the temperatures far more bareable than i thought i would!! We have had a real mixed bag since we arrived. From over 40 degrees(only the odd day here and there) to under 20 during the day. Some people may not like the huge variations but i do. The good thing is that on really hot days i just hibernate in the shopping malls which have good aircon...LOL

I would say that the cost of living is very much comparable to NZ, probably a bit cheaper. There is a much wider variety of choices available too.

There is heaps and heaps of things for kids to do. Plenty of outdoor public pools, parks,playgrounds, as well as wildlife parks. Have a look at these websites as they will tell you more than i can. My kids are all grown up

www.adelaideschild.com

www.eventspool.com

I am much happier here than in NZ. But thats a personal thing i guess. The people are incredibly friendly and helpful too. Anything else you want to know just holler. I going to pick my husband up from work now..be back later.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hello

www.adelaideschild.com

www.eventspool.com

Thanks podgy (sorry i stuffed up my first reply ). I read that Adelaide had more fine days per year than any other city in OZ(270 - Bris 230 - sydney 220). I would think also that it wouldnt be quite as hot as Brisbane in general. Do you have any idea whether housing and rentals cost less than Brisbane or are they much the same. thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 8:12 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scottalison6
Podge(OR ANY OTHERS)...Can you help....??We are waiting on our 139 area des visa..Brother lives in Kirsbrok nr Adelaide and before that lived in Roseworthy.Do you know of any websites etc where i can get an big map of the adelaide subs/south oz area?The kind of fold out variety Would like to get a bit of a plan organised!!CHEERS

Scott

Hi Scott,

Are you anywhere near London? The Australia shop in Covent Garden usually has plenty of maps

Perry
Old Jan 9th 2004, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheers.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

I have found the temperatures far more bareable than i thought i would!! We have had a real mixed bag since we arrived. From over 40 degrees(only the odd day here and there) to under 20 during the day. Some people may not like the huge variations but i do.

I am much happier here than in NZ. But thats a personal thing i guess. The people are incredibly friendly and helpful too. Anything else you want to know just holler.
Sounds as if it was knitted for me!

(That would be in rose-tinted wool, obviously - before I get accused of being too dewy-eyed...!)
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:41 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scottalison6
hi..cheers buying its no prob. Any links guys???
P.s How fars Kirsbrook from Adelaide???
Kersbrook, is about 35 km from adelaide, mostly blocks with a couple of acres, so not cheap to live, but a lovely little town[village}.............. MM
Old Jan 10th 2004, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Hey Mr Mover

I wnet to the Cebteal Market for the first time yesterday...what a fantastic place!!..i cant wait to go back. The variety of stall and fresh food was amazing, and the vibrancy and atmosphere is wonderful. Never seen so many fresh meat and fish stalls. The multicultural variety of goods is mind boggling.
I was very frustrated at not being able to buy up loads of the Italian sausages, olives and cheeses etc.. (i'm on a posterior reducing regime)
Did buy a truck load of different coffee beans though...

My advice ot anyone who comes ot Adelaide...make it a top priority to visit the place. Best market i ever been to.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 3:07 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Mr Mover

I wnet to the Cebteal Market for the first time yesterday...what a fantastic place!!..i cant wait to go back. The variety of stall and fresh food was amazing, and the vibrancy and atmosphere is wonderful. Never seen so many fresh meat and fish stalls. The multicultural variety of goods is mind boggling.
I was very frustrated at not being able to buy up loads of the Italian sausages, olives and cheeses etc.. (i'm on a posterior reducing regime)
Did buy a truck load of different coffee beans though...

My advice ot anyone who comes ot Adelaide...make it a top priority to visit the place. Best market i ever been to.
LOOK.pp i told you not to tell any one!!, no its definately, Adelaides best kept secret, when were,doing office moves in town ,we try to get there for lunch, nothing better than fresh bread rolls ,avacado, spring onions, and smoked fish . for lunch:scared: ....... MM
Old Jan 10th 2004, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

OOPS.. sorry

and we got fresh tuna steaks for tea with stir fried chinese veg ...for afters...a huge bowl of cherries