Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Plumbing in Perth

Plumbing in Perth

Old Oct 12th 2006, 8:45 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future
Default Plumbing in Perth

Hi all I was in Perth in August checking out the work situation and everything seemed like there was a shortage of many trades and you can get work by just turning up on site, since coming back and looking into it further all of my qualifications and work experience mean jack s**t, i understand I am going to have to go to challenger TAFE and do approximately 500 hours training, can anyone verify this or is it rumours, the quality of the work I saw on brand new and older style houses was abominable, I have a 17 year old apprentice who could produce much higher standards of work, if there is a shortage why cant we get licensed straight away ? All of the paper work, references required for the TRA seems such a waste of time doing as i will have to do it all over again, can anyone tell me any different, some paper work came through with the TRA approval but it looks like there is nothing i ca do until i arrive.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbing in Perth

Originally Posted by daveplumber
Hi all I was in Perth in August checking out the work situation and everything seemed like there was a shortage of many trades and you can get work by just turning up on site, since coming back and looking into it further all of my qualifications and work experience mean jack s**t, i understand I am going to have to go to challenger TAFE and do approximately 500 hours training, can anyone verify this or is it rumours, the quality of the work I saw on brand new and older style houses was abominable, I have a 17 year old apprentice who could produce much higher standards of work, if there is a shortage why cant we get licensed straight away ? All of the paper work, references required for the TRA seems such a waste of time doing as i will have to do it all over again, can anyone tell me any different, some paper work came through with the TRA approval but it looks like there is nothing i ca do until i arrive.

Unfortunately you are dead right
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a recent thread about plumbing in Perth
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

Hi, the info you have been given is right ,hubby is a plumber by trade and he has refused to do the course as its a insult,like you say the workmanship here is crap,(he doesnt do plumbing here).Ive heard the course isnt as bad if you have city&guilds but you will have to check that one.
This is why OZ is so short of tradesmen,theres probably loads of good pommie tradesmans going into different careers because of this problem,but the goverment cant see it or dont want too!
Also been told if you have done your city&guilds in Scotland,this is ok and they will give you a licence straight away,cant understand the reason for this.(but again check as this maybe wrong)
Well good luck .
sue
Old Oct 16th 2006, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

I had 3 trades in the uk all c & g except gas fitting, had part p electrical too. Been refused plumbers licence & carpenters licence and restricted electrical for re-connecting water heaters, but got a gas fitters licence after buying 2 regs books and a 10 min interview. Just does not make any sence to me