Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Plumbing In Oz Question

Plumbing In Oz Question

Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future
Default Plumbing In Oz Question

Im heading to brisbane with my girlfriend, i am a plumber and was wondering about further education there.

I want to train to be a commercial installer, i have my domestic gas and plumbing here (nvq 2 and acs) what are the rules about further higher quals training?

And plumbers on this forum, if u have made the move, did u take your tools, or ebay them, all my tools are dewalt and obviously quite heavy.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:27 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Plumbing In Oz Question

Originally Posted by MrRivaz
Im heading to brisbane with my girlfriend, i am a plumber and was wondering about further education there.

I want to train to be a commercial installer, i have my domestic gas and plumbing here (nvq 2 and acs) what are the rules about further higher quals training?

And plumbers on this forum, if u have made the move, did u take your tools, or ebay them, all my tools are dewalt and obviously quite heavy.
hiyah

where in wales are you? we are in the glorious newport
the OH is also a plumber and heating engineer, he has been doing all the research into his tools and what not, but you could post on the proffession forum, I guess you would get a good response there and gain some useful information about plumbing in oz
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by egghead4
hiyah

where in wales are you? we are in the glorious newport
the OH is also a plumber and heating engineer, he has been doing all the research into his tools and what not, but you could post on the proffession forum, I guess you would get a good response there and gain some useful information about plumbing in oz
im in swansea.... i did a 12 month backpacking stint in oz, loved it

when u thinking of going
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:56 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

im in swansea.... i did a 12 month backpacking stint in oz, loved it

when u thinking of going
we have to validate the visas before 20.6.08, so flight are booked for 3.6.08, but we cant go until the house is sold:curse::curse:
we just cant wait to go, where are you thinking of heading?
bec
Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:15 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

We have done lots of research on plumbing in Oz, heading for queens in a couple of months. Seems that the pipes are all a different size so pipe benders etc are no good x
Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

turkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the rough

on arrival, go to gas & mining board, convert Corgi license to Qld gas license, with this license you can do Domestic & commercial work, however, not Industrial, unless you are working alongside an Industrial License holder.

To get your Plumbing License, apply to the Plumbing and Drainage Board on arrival and as long as you meet there requirements, in 'timeserved' you will receive a Provisional License, which allows you to work for a fully licensed plumber. you can do a course to obtain your full license. Skills tech Australia, but this is were the fun beginners , are just getting in touch with the right guy's and getting the right info is next to impossible.

Bring all your tools, but leave your pipe benders, as pipe sizes are different, and silver solder, no compression fittings on gas, flared joints.,

hope this helps
Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:24 pm
egghead4+becky

Originally Posted by turkey12903
on arrival, go to gas & mining board, convert Corgi license to Qld gas license, with this license you can do Domestic & commercial work, however, not Industrial, unless you are working alongside an Industrial License holder.

To get your Plumbing License, apply to the Plumbing and Drainage Board on arrival and as long as you meet there requirements, in 'timeserved' you will receive a Provisional License, which allows you to work for a fully licensed plumber. you can do a course to obtain your full license. Skills tech Australia, but this is were the fun beginners , are just getting in touch with the right guy's and getting the right info is next to impossible.

Bring all your tools, but leave your pipe benders, as pipe sizes are different, and silver solder, no compression fittings on gas, flared joints.,

hope this helps
hi

thanks for the tips. we are heading to the sunshine coast in june and the OH will then be looking for work as a plumber gas fitter. we've been looking at all different types of jobs he could do, but can you tell me if there is a demand for plumbers on the SC, or do people have to travel further afield.
cheers
bec
Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

turkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the rough

hi

thanks for the tips. we are heading to the sunshine coast in june and the OH will then be looking for work as a plumber gas fitter. we've been looking at all different types of jobs he could do, but can you tell me if there is a demand for plumbers on the SC, or do people have to travel further afield.
cheers
bec

there is alot of small one man band plumbers on the SC, but brisbane has alot more job offers, check out seek.com.au
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

we have to validate the visas before 20.6.08, so flight are booked for 3.6.08, but we cant go until the house is sold:curse::curse:
we just cant wait to go, where are you thinking of heading?
bec
um. wel having spent alot of time in brisbane, when i backpacked on, we thought its the nicest place to be... we loved the gold coast, brisbane, surfers, cairns etc... just wish we extended to a 2 year visa, but i didnt want to pick fruit lol

I loved darwin, but couldnt live there unless the package for a job was silly money.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by betsyboob
We have done lots of research on plumbing in Oz, heading for queens in a couple of months. Seems that the pipes are all a different size so pipe benders etc are no good x
is that just for brisbane, i wrked around oz gas fitting, and they have pipe benders the same as ours, maybe a different size, but they have all the tools for it.

allthough they use silver braizing rods, instead of solder, the heat expands the joints, so much that solder wudnt keep a tight seal....

i used oxy acetelene, on pipes over 32mm inch and a quarter, i found it hard and burnt straight thru many times, easy in the end.

Melbourne i was on £28 an hour, Darwin £30 an hour, Perth £25 an hour, all this was without a license, as i wasnt allowed to take an eqiuvelency test, so the loop hole i had was i was taken on as a trades assistant.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

pajones is an unknown quantity at this point

is that just for brisbane, i wrked around oz gas fitting, and they have pipe benders the same as ours, maybe a different size, but they have all the tools for it.

allthough they use silver braizing rods, instead of solder, the heat expands the joints, so much that solder wudnt keep a tight seal....

i used oxy acetelene, on pipes over 32mm inch and a quarter, i found it hard and burnt straight thru many times, easy in the end.

Melbourne i was on £28 an hour, Darwin £30 an hour, Perth £25 an hour, all this was without a license, as i wasnt allowed to take an eqiuvelency test, so the loop hole i had was i was taken on as a trades assistant.
I don't think that you would have been on £25 an hour in Perth, more like $25.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pajones
I don't think that you would have been on £25 an hour in Perth, more like $25.
yea $ is what i meant
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Hello MrRivaz, your tools will be fine, except pipe slice 15m and 22m and your benders, all pipes here are a different size.If you ship them as opposed to Air Mail, it will cost you a lot less as they calculate 'size' not weight. Hows sunny Swansea, have been there a few times.Oxwich bay, Caswel bay, and the Mumbles.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pajones
Hello MrRivaz, your tools will be fine, except pipe slice 15m and 22m and your benders, all pipes here are a different size.If you ship them as opposed to Air Mail, it will cost you a lot less as they calculate 'size' not weight. Hows sunny Swansea, have been there a few times.Oxwich bay, Caswel bay, and the Mumbles.
well m8, sunny it isnt.... we have had torrential rain. I was walking home from the oub last night and my god, it was hammering down... weve also caught the dreggs of gales.. and yesterday at around 4pm, a mist decended on swansea making drivin horrible. other than that m8 lol its allright, i work around the mumbles quite a bit nice place when the weathers good.

r u in oz now?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

well m8, sunny it isnt.... we have had torrential rain. I was walking home from the oub last night and my god, it was hammering down... weve also caught the dreggs of gales.. and yesterday at around 4pm, a mist decended on swansea making drivin horrible. other than that m8 lol its allright, i work around the mumbles quite a bit nice place when the weathers good.

r u in oz now?
Yeah I'm still In oz Perth, but going home, back to Shropshire in April.Hope It all works out fine for you. Cheers Paul