British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Plumbing and gas fitting in WA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/plumbing-gas-fitting-wa-671413/)

Plumbing and Gas WA Jun 7th 2010 12:09 pm

Plumbing and gas fitting in WA

Hi fellow plumbers and gas fitters!!

Since being a plumbing and gas fitting trainer and assessor in WA (and an xpat) I thought I should post some direction for all you potential migrants.

Plumbing and gas fitting in WA is a licenced trade (as is all of Oz)

In 2012 there will be a national licence for our trade which enable any licence holder to work Oz wide regardless of where they obtain their licence.

Currently Plumbing and gas are separate in WA.

For a plumbers licence (tradespersons licence) you will need to contact the PLB. (plumbing licencing board)

For a gas permit you will need to apply to Energy Safety in cannington street, Perth.

Unfortunately not all of your UK or overseas qualifications are accepted, however your experience is!

A simple hand skills test and a week course on plumbing differences (gap training) will get you your plumbing tradespersons licence. (as we do things differently here you know!!)

Unfortunately gas training is a little more complicated.....

You will need a cert III in gas fitting so thats a part time course, including recognition of prior learning (RPL)and gap training which will up skill your current CORGI qualifications to be Oz compliant. (yes we recognize your experience!!!) :thumbsup:

If anybody would like further details please feel free to contact us at rapid training as we would be only too pleased to help out.

I hope this helps folks as most folks find it a nightmare....

Good luck!!

Lyndon :thumbup:

ronnie98 Jun 14th 2010 1:55 am

Re: Plumbing and gas fitting in WA

h

Originally Posted by Plumbing and Gas WA (Post 8616769)
Hi fellow plumbers and gas fitters!!

Since being a plumbing and gas fitting trainer and assessor in WA (and an xpat) I thought I should post some direction for all you potential migrants.

Plumbing and gas fitting in WA is a licenced trade (as is all of Oz)

In 2012 there will be a national licence for our trade which enable any licence holder to work Oz wide regardless of where they obtain their licence.

Currently Plumbing and gas are separate in WA.

For a plumbers licence (tradespersons licence) you will need to contact the PLB. (plumbing licencing board)

Hi, im in vic and half way to my plumbing license i have registration for most inc gas, is there much work in WA as Im thinking of moving state, thanks
Ronnie

For a gas permit you will need to apply to Energy Safety in cannington street, Perth.

Unfortunately not all of your UK or overseas qualifications are accepted, however your experience is!

A simple hand skills test and a week course on plumbing differences (gap training) will get you your plumbing tradespersons licence. (as we do things differently here you know!!)

Unfortunately gas training is a little more complicated.....

You will need a cert III in gas fitting so thats a part time course, including recognition of prior learning (RPL)and gap training which will up skill your current CORGI qualifications to be Oz compliant. (yes we recognize your experience!!!) :thumbsup:

If anybody would like further details please feel free to contact us at rapid training as we would be only too pleased to help out.

I hope this helps folks as most folks find it a nightmare....

Good luck!!

Lyndon :thumbup:

noux79 Jun 22nd 2010 11:58 am

Thanks for sharing this info...My bf is a plumber n we r thinking of applying for a visa but we hv a few worries...hope u can help us:
-What are the job prospects for plumbers today?
-Which place hes more likely to get a job quickly
-Hw much that is cost to get the license - we will b on a very limited budget after selling our hse ... so hes hoping to find a job within a month
Is he dreaming???

Sorry too many questions
Any help will b appreciated

Noux79

morrisj3 Jun 22nd 2010 3:42 pm

Hi Lyndon,

Not sure if you got my PM asking you to give more details for my OH?? We'll be arriving in WA in September.....

Thanks, Jenny

chris1386 Jun 23rd 2010 1:13 pm

has anyone had a reply from these guys?

morrisj3 Jun 23rd 2010 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by chris1386 (Post 8651488)
has anyone had a reply from these guys?

Not yet (and I tried to look up Rapid Training WA on google, but it seemed to be all about pest control!!)

chris1386 Jun 24th 2010 11:45 am

yep me too, not much use really then:thumbdown:

mat saunders Jul 4th 2010 9:06 pm

:thumbup: Hello, have a few questions for you wonder if you can help me? In visa process at the mo. BG engineer all gas acs +nvq 3, 15 years gas originally trained as c&g pipe fitter/welder. Need some info what extra training will i need, how long will it take for certification in wa. However would my employment prospects be better in another state? Is it possible to gain employment and retrain at the same time? What are the job prospects in WA for someone like me? Sorry I have so many questions but your message was a life line seems to be a bit of a mine field. Help!!