Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

plumbing fittings

plumbing fittings

Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Matt & Jay will become famous soon enoughMatt & Jay will become famous soon enough
Default plumbing fittings

does anyone know what fittings they use in oz just going through my stuff and got all my pipe benders and fittings are they using 15mm and 22mm the same as us?

matt
Old Feb 18th 2006, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

trejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nice
Default Re: plumbing fittings

[QUOTE=Matt & Jay]does anyone know what fittings they use in oz just going through my stuff and got all my pipe benders and fittings are they using 15mm and 22mm the same as us?

No they dont use metric over here for pipe fittings. Still use 1/2" and 3/4".
Where abouts in Brisbane are you coming to. We have lived here for 15 years and we have friends from Bristol. If you need any help with anything we will be more than pleased to oblige.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:45 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Matt & Jay
does anyone know what fittings they use in oz just going through my stuff and got all my pipe benders and fittings are they using 15mm and 22mm the same as us?

matt
Everything I've bought in Bunnings, as a home user, is in mm, but have a look at: http://www.cranecopper.com.au/product/ for an Australian trade supplier of copper pipes etc. That should give you the exact info, which does indeed look like imperial.

Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:19 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

12mm and 20mm I believe.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:48 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=trejon]

No they dont use metric over here for pipe fittings. Still use 1/2" and 3/4".
this is a bit odd unless in the trade they dont speak in metric. i do know when buying it comes in metric. so im a bit lost here
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by soapy
this is a bit odd unless in the trade they dont speak in metric. i do know when buying it comes in metric. so im a bit lost here
Sounds the same as Timber used to be in the UK (and still is, at least in some places) Length is metric, width is Imperial

Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:27 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Sounds the same as Timber used to be in the UK (and still is, at least in some places) Length is metric, width is Imperial
yeh ive hear them say.....3metre long of 4x2 lmao.
its funny cos most australians wont buy a tape with metric and imperial on it, it must be metric only.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:40 am
ABCDiamond

its funny cos most australians wont buy a tape with metric and imperial on it, it must be metric only.
It's like the kids school rulers, I keep looking to see which edge has inches on, but it's metric both edges, what a waste of useful space

Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:41 am
Master of verbal pish©

It's like the kids school rulers, I keep looking to see which edge has inches on, but it's metric both edges, what a waste of useful space
so if u break it, its not really two halfs then?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Buying a ruler the other day for school. The one with imperial on was more expensive than the one without
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:13 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Buying a ruler the other day for school. The one with imperial on was more expensive than the one without
its the same with tapes............i heard they do everything in mm so it sounds longer
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

its the same with tapes............i heard they do everything in mm so it sounds longer
Ssshhh, you'll wake Bixie
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:31 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Ssshhh, you'll wake Bixie
ha ha ha
wouldnt wanna do that now would we
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

matt
I think you would be wasting your time bringing your 15mm and 22 mm benders. The pipes here are 1/2",5/8", 3/4", etc. and I think they measure it differently. The size relates to the nominal bore instead of the outside diameter or vice versa? It seems that the pipe sizes are all different compared to the UK.

I just bought some Hep2O from Bunnings which is 18mm... not a size I've came across before.

They use compression fittings(nut and olive), hard soldered (brazed) and a swaged (flared) fitting which is similar to the old type B manipulative fittings used in the 60's and 70's...and only ever used at college when you were an apprentice!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Matt & Jay will become famous soon enoughMatt & Jay will become famous soon enough

thanks for that everyone sounds like ive got some plumbing stuff to sale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.