Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

plumbers and tools

plumbers and tools

Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

lightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nice
Default plumbers and tools

help from plumbers please,
I with my family are heading to Sydney next year.
what tools do i take with me that will work.
Ie: pipe benders and pipe slices. is there plumbing the same size as ours?
power tools 240v, 110v and battery powered.
Over the last 26 years Ive picked up more than I need and wanna start having a clear out ready for boot sales and the like.

I dont post on here very often so I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a great new year, and hope some dreams come true.

all the best

Cockney Rob>>>>>>>>>>>
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: plumbers and tools

Originally Posted by lightr0d2o
help from plumbers please,
I with my family are heading to Sydney next year.
what tools do i take with me that will work.
Ie: pipe benders and pipe slices. is there plumbing the same size as ours?
power tools 240v, 110v and battery powered.
Over the last 26 years Ive picked up more than I need and wanna start having a clear out ready for boot sales and the like.

I dont post on here very often so I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a great new year, and hope some dreams come true.

all the best

Cockney Rob>>>>>>>>>>>
Pipe slicers and benders are no good as the pipes are a different size, I think they maybe imperial from what i've heard. 240v tools can be used, the plugs will have to be changed (by a qualified electrician ). Not sure on the 110v would like to know myself. Have also heard you have to use acetylene torch. Hope this helps. Keith
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:07 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith&Lol
Pipe slicers and benders are no good as the pipes are a different size, I think they maybe imperial from what i've heard. 240v tools can be used, the plugs will have to be changed (by a qualified electrician ). Not sure on the 110v would like to know myself. Have also heard you have to use acetylene torch. Hope this helps. Keith
12mm and 20mm pipe here so ditch benders and slices.

I thought that all joints were 0xy/acetylene but after speaking to some plumbers there are soft soldered joints and crimped ones as well as glued.

Not many hard soldered ones anymore.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:29 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
12mm and 20mm pipe here so ditch benders and slices.

I thought that all joints were 0xy/acetylene but after speaking to some plumbers there are soft soldered joints and crimped ones as well as glued.

Not many hard soldered ones anymore.
Wish I could say the same for WA!
Pretty much everything is hard soldered here, which makes even the smallest of jobs a case of unrolling miles of oxy leads from the ute etc.

I was doing the plumbing maintenance in Fremantle Hospital for a while.
That meant lugging a (so called portable) oxy-acetylene trolley all over the place to do something like changing a tap!!

Latest thing is all that all the plumbers here are starting to rave about this, "new stuff"...... Acorn pipe...!
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:32 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie

Latest thing is all that all the plumbers here are starting to rave about this, "new stuff"...... Acorn pipe...!
Isn't that what Hep used to be called
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:48 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that what Hep used to be called
Yup... Gasps of disbelief when I say I've been using Acorn/Hep since 1983!!
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

lightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nice

Thanks guys
for your replies, sounds like oz is almost in the dark ages with its plumbing.
I would have thought that plastic was common place there.
looks like I got a lot to learn, back to school as well isnt it.?
im not corgi here is it worth doing the ozzie equivilant.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by lightr0d2o
Thanks guys
for your replies, sounds like oz is almost in the dark ages with its plumbing.
I would have thought that plastic was common place there.
looks like I got a lot to learn, back to school as well isnt it.?
im not corgi here is it worth doing the ozzie equivilant.
I'm not corgi, but unless you an show them four years experience as corgi you're not going to get it in Oz.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

My other half is an apprentice plumber and is working in aircon...he uses imperial pipe cutters.

Also his instructors have advised that plastic pipes are coming in- there is not the heavy demand here to replace everything wholesale, so changes are being phased in.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pomster
My other half is an apprentice plumber and is working in aircon...he uses imperial pipe cutters.

Also his instructors have advised that plastic pipes are coming in- there is not the heavy demand here to replace everything wholesale, so changes are being phased in.
What sort of imperial pipe cutters? The pipes here aren't imperial.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

kooga is on a distinguished road

Hi, there!
Glad to see a topic on Plumbing as its just what i was looking for.

Can anyone tell me if plumbers are in need in Australia and is experience essential? or is self employment another good way to go - as i have only now become qualified and am considering moving from rain torn Wales.
Thanks in reply
Old Dec 19th 2005, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by kooga
Hi, there!
Glad to see a topic on Plumbing as its just what i was looking for.

Can anyone tell me if plumbers are in need in Australia and is experience essential? or is self employment another good way to go - as i have only now become qualified and am considering moving from rain torn Wales.
Thanks in reply
You need at leat four years experience to get the points.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

You need at leat four years experience to get the points.

So there isnt any other way? Not even self employed?
Old Dec 19th 2005, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by kooga

So there isnt any other way? Not even self employed?
No because you need a licence to work here and withut doing an Aussie apprenticship you wont get one without the relevent experience.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

No because you need a licence to work here and withut doing an Aussie apprenticship you wont get one without the relevent experience.
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.