Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Plumber/Pipefitter

Plumber/Pipefitter

Old May 31st 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all
Default Plumber/Pipefitter

Hi Everyone

I need a bit of help here hubby is a Plumber/Pipefitter here in Ireland. We have our visa and looking at going out in October, the only thing that is making me change my mind is the lack of jobs for Plumber/Pipefitters on the recruitment sites.

We are looking at going to Perth so if there are any other Plumber/Pipefitters out there who can tell me where to start looking, I would appreciate it. Or do we have to look at going to another state.

Sandra
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:42 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumber/Pipefitter

Hi Sandra

We have been led to believe that pipe fitter jobs dont get advertised readily but we have been assured pipefitters are in big demand especialy on the new water pipelines and in the mines.

I have asked this question too sometimes jobs get offered under mechanical services but again not advertised much.

Our visa is mechanical services and air con plumber our only concern is licensing requirements there seems to be a differnce of opinion what is needed.

Kaye
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's three sites that MAY help

http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au...cfm?jobID=3066 Gives details of professional bodies in each state.

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...ic-4312-11.htm Gives licencing deatils for each state

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...onContacts.htm

See refridgeration at the bottom. (leads to this site http://www.arctick.org/index.php )

Now the DIAC site says there is no licencing requirements in South Australia but two jobs that were advertised on Wednesday said that you need ARC (last site) and a restricted electrical licence

And I do know for definite, that in SA if you want to be self employed, you DO need a contractors licence.

Confused??? you will be

I've e-mailed a few people and asked the question, but so far I've had no replies.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wardy2
Hi Sandra

We have been led to believe that pipe fitter jobs dont get advertised readily but we have been assured pipefitters are in big demand especialy on the new water pipelines and in the mines.

I have asked this question too sometimes jobs get offered under mechanical services but again not advertised much.

Our visa is mechanical services and air con plumber our only concern is licensing requirements there seems to be a differnce of opinion what is needed.

Kaye
Hi Kaye

It doesnt look like they do but have been told they can be advertised as Boilermaker.
He got his TRA under General Plumber so he is just going to have to put up with it...LOL. Mind you also read somewhere that a Plumber can do pipefitting. Not going to worry about it too much now just get on with the rest of the move.
Where are you heading to? I cant wait to get over there and the kids are so looking forward to it too. So I will just leave him to do the worrying about his work. I think he is just going through the panicky stage at the moment.

Sandra
Old Jun 1st 2007, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
Here's three sites that MAY help

http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au...cfm?jobID=3066 Gives details of professional bodies in each state.

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...ic-4312-11.htm Gives licencing deatils for each state

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...onContacts.htm

See refridgeration at the bottom. (leads to this site http://www.arctick.org/index.php )

Now the DIAC site says there is no licencing requirements in South Australia but two jobs that were advertised on Wednesday said that you need ARC (last site) and a restricted electrical licence

And I do know for definite, that in SA if you want to be self employed, you DO need a contractors licence.

Confused??? you will be

I've e-mailed a few people and asked the question, but so far I've had no replies.
Hi Wendy
Just want to say Thanks so much for those links. I have looked at them before but it was good to have another look. I the OH is just going through the panicky stage at the moment, he seems to think there will be no work for him when he gets there. But I think the panic has passed for the time being. Men for you.

Sandra
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:09 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandav
Hi Kaye

It doesnt look like they do but have been told they can be advertised as Boilermaker.
He got his TRA under General Plumber so he is just going to have to put up with it...LOL. Mind you also read somewhere that a Plumber can do pipefitting. Not going to worry about it too much now just get on with the rest of the move.
Where are you heading to? I cant wait to get over there and the kids are so looking forward to it too. So I will just leave him to do the worrying about his work. I think he is just going through the panicky stage at the moment.

Sandra
Hi Sandra

we are looking at heading to Bayside south of Brisbane have heard they are going to be building new hospitals there so work should and hopefully be plentiful.

Where are you heading for?

Kaye
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sandra

we are looking at heading to Bayside south of Brisbane have heard they are going to be building new hospitals there so work should and hopefully be plentiful.

Where are you heading for?

Kaye
Hi Kaye

We are heading to the other side Perth. At this stage I feel I know it better than Dublin I have checked that much out on it.
I wanted to go to Brisbane at first but hubby convinced me otherwise but have told him if I don't like Perth I will be giving it a go.
Hope you have a great life there and it is everything you are looking for.

Sandra
Old Jun 4th 2007, 3:01 pm
aka DORIS

Hi Sandra

Thanks for the kind wishes and I hope in Perth that the same goes for you.

Ps Sorry did not reply sooner I have been away fro the weekend

Kaye
Old Jun 4th 2007, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sandra

Thanks for the kind wishes and I hope in Perth that the same goes for you.

Ps Sorry did not reply sooner I have been away fro the weekend

Kaye
Hi Kaye thats no problem we were away ourselves last night was at a meet up with some from Ireland heading out to Australia yesterday and decided to stay in the hotel ourselves last night.
Did you have a good weekend.

Sandra
Old Jun 5th 2007, 12:53 pm
aka DORIS

Hi Sandra

The weekend was fine wasnt a fun type of weekend my middle son is a competitive swimmer and he was competing in Sheffield in the county championships, back again this weekend oh the joys.

kaye
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Me and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sandav
Hi Everyone

I need a bit of help here hubby is a Plumber/Pipefitter here in Ireland. We have our visa and looking at going out in October, the only thing that is making me change my mind is the lack of jobs for Plumber/Pipefitters on the recruitment sites.

We are looking at going to Perth so if there are any other Plumber/Pipefitters out there who can tell me where to start looking, I would appreciate it. Or do we have to look at going to another state.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Don't Worry!!!!! My OH and I have been panicking reading all the bad comments on this site about plumbers not able to get jobs. However.....our friend lives in Rockingham and plays Sunday league footie and one of the men on the team works for the Aussie equivalent of 'British Gas' and said they need at least 12 plumbers and the money is fab too. Let me tell you that email made my hubby smile from ear to ear!
Also OH spoke to licensing board and was told the requirements change in June this year so don't attempt to get license or start ball rolling with application process till on Aussie soil.
And from what I can gather license is def required if you plan to be self employed. If you work for company, as long as one guy has license then you don't need one.

Good Luck with it all!

Sara