British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Plugs plugs plugs. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/plugs-plugs-plugs-174804/)

PeteY Aug 27th 2003 12:50 pm

Plugs plugs plugs.

Whats everyone here doing/done about your plugs?

Things like lamps/toasters are no worries....

What about things that use a transformer, so you can't just whip off the old and screw on the new?

Do you all have shares in powerpoint converter companies? I have worked it out and for my various cameras/chargers/computer bits etc i would need about 15 plug converters !!!

Opinions? THoughts? etc...

Cheers

Pete.

ohsohopeful Aug 27th 2003 12:52 pm

Re: Plugs plugs plugs.

We are taking distribution boards and changing the plug on the end of the board only.

PeteY Aug 27th 2003 3:39 pm

Re: Plugs plugs plugs.

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
We are taking distribution boards and changing the plug on the end of the board only.
Hmmmm. Sounds like somthing i would'nt go near !!

Do people pay to have this done? Or just buy the converters?

Ben.M Aug 27th 2003 3:44 pm

I'm just taking a few 4-gang extensions and will change the plug on the end. I think that's probably what ohsohopeful means...

Ben

yafm Aug 27th 2003 3:48 pm

power sockets

Take some 4/5 way socket boards with short leads and some universial adaptors to convert from Oz sockets to 13amp plugs.Dont overload the boards.Search this forum plenty of previous answers to your query Colin

PeteY Aug 27th 2003 3:52 pm

Ahhhh yes i see.

Somtimes im so slow i even impress myself!!

:rolleyes:

migrantoz Aug 27th 2003 5:19 pm

One thing that should be considered when fitting an australian plug to a UK 4 way extension socket is current rating.
UK plugs are designed to safely carry 13 Amps, Australian plugs however are only designed to carry 10 Amps I believe. Thats almost 30% less. If you look at the size of the pins on the 2 different plugs and you will see that UK plugs are considerably meatier so can carry more current.
Check the rating written on the plug you fit, if it is only 10 Amps then you need to make sure you dont plug in too many high current appliances. As an example, a 2 Kw kettle will draw about 8 Amps which means the plug can only take another 2 Amps. Plug in a toaster aswell and a couple of other appliances and you could find your home on fire. Just use a bit of common sense.

bussie Aug 27th 2003 7:41 pm

aint there a 13amp fuse protecting the whole of the 4 way extention sockets

Carol in Oz Aug 27th 2003 11:18 pm

Originally posted by migrantoz
One thing that should be considered when fitting an australian plug to a UK 4 way extension socket is current rating.
UK plugs are designed to safely carry 13 Amps, Australian plugs however are only designed to carry 10 Amps I believe. Thats almost 30% less. If you look at the size of the pins on the 2 different plugs and you will see that UK plugs are considerably meatier so can carry more current.
Check the rating written on the plug you fit, if it is only 10 Amps then you need to make sure you dont plug in too many high current appliances. As an example, a 2 Kw kettle will draw about 8 Amps which means the plug can only take another 2 Amps. Plug in a toaster aswell and a couple of other appliances and you could find your home on fire. Just use a bit of common sense.

Just had a look at some of my plugs (things I'm learning on here!) All 250 volt. Jug 10amp, Microwave 7.5, small fan heater 10 amp, Iron 7.5
We have a safety cut out switch fitted at the meter box. Saved us a couple of times. Would never be without one.
Carol

dotty Aug 27th 2003 11:35 pm

Knowing what OZ is like on electrical law, I reckon you are nuts to do any DIY with electrics.

Just call a electrician to sort it out. Any work you do even on a plug is illegal. Would make house insurance invalid, same with contents insurance. Sale of any item or house with DIY electrics would be illegal too.

Why mess with it, when in Rome.........

bussie Aug 28th 2003 12:30 am

well said (well i am a sparks)

welshpom Aug 28th 2003 12:41 am

Originally posted by dotty
Knowing what OZ is like on electrical law, I reckon you are nuts to do any DIY with electrics.
We're talking about changing a plug.

I was talking to an electrician on Monday about the legality of changing a plug and he said that everyone changes plugs for themselves.

He said - "if it were illegal, why would the government allow shops to sell you replacement plugs ?". Being the clever bugger I am, I replied - "so you (the electrician) can buy a plug", and his repsonse was "if I want a plug I'll pay half the supermarket price at the wholesalers".

If the power supply unit on my computer fails, nobody cares if I change it myself, so why should working on the wire at the other end of the same cable be different ?.

On a related topic, the electrician also told me that anybody can rewire their entire house, but the qualified electrician has to do the final piece of the jigsaw and connect it to the mains, but he's unlikely to do that without inspecting your work first.

Loopy Aug 28th 2003 12:55 am

Eventually you'll probably get round to changing most of your plugs, but it takes a while and in the beginning the gang plug thingies really help & save time. The converter plugs aren't a good long term solution, they never seem to fit the plug quite right and pop out a lot! Of course there are some plugs you can't change so the gang plugs come in very useful, esp for rechargeable stuff.

Loopy

dotty Aug 28th 2003 12:59 am

Originally posted by welshpom
We're talking about changing a plug.

I was talking to an electrician on Monday about the legality of changing a plug and he said that everyone changes plugs for themselves.

He said - "if it were illegal, why would the government allow shops to sell you replacement plugs ?". Being the clever bugger I am, I replied - "so you (the electrician) can buy a plug", and his repsonse was "if I want a plug I'll pay half the supermarket price at the wholesalers".

If the power supply unit on my computer fails, nobody cares if I change it myself, so why should working on the wire at the other end of the same cable be different ?.

On a related topic, the electrician also told me that anybody can rewire their entire house, but the qualified electrician has to do the final piece of the jigsaw and connect it to the mains, but he's unlikely to do that without inspecting your work first.

That is totally contrary to advice given to us by an electrical firm here.

Also not my experience of DIY electrics in a house we put under contract which were deemed illegal, collapsed the contract and entitled us to damages.

However I would be very happy for any Aus electricians with current licenses and Qualifications to answer this one.

As for plugs in supermarkets, I have never seen that here, Plugs on most of my electrical appliances are sealed so they cannot be taken off.

What electrician is going to take the legal liability for someone elses work, that does not figure either?

Qualified Electrican sort this one out please.

welshpom Aug 29th 2003 6:27 am

I just bought two new plugs at Woolworths. There's a notice on the packaging that reads:

"Warning: It is illegal for persons other than licensed electrical mechanics or persons authorised by legislation to work on the fixed wiring of any electrical installation".

On the plugs debate, I think the key word in all of that is "fixed".

Now to me, a plug for say a hairdryer isn't part of the the "fixed wiring" of an "electrical installation". It's the unfixed (as in not part of the installation) wiring of an electrical appliance.

Whatever, I will continue to change my own plugs and I will continue to leave messing with the dangerous stuff to the pros.