plugs

Old Apr 8th 2004, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default plugs

Some one has just told me that it is illigal in Australia to change your own plugs, you have to hire an electrician. We were going to take our electrical appliances and change to Australian plugs once there. Does anybody know if this is true or not

Steph
Old Apr 8th 2004, 4:30 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

That too me sounds like a load of shi*, but I could be wrong.

The general consenus however is don't chnage them. Before you go buy some surge protected extension leads from Argos (the supply out there is somewhat more prone to spikes, from what I have read).

When you get there you only need to change one plug and then keep all your UK ones as they were.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:31 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Strictly speaking, yes it is illegal to re-wire plugs if the applicance is from overseas.

They do tell you to get a qualified electrician to do it, something to do with a particular wire.

Saying that, I'm sure you could do it no problem - but what if it caused a fire ? would your house insurance cover you ? Ummm doubt it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old Apr 9th 2004, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I did a search on this forum ........

.......and found this thread. Check out the post by baldbutts.

I changed about 10 plugs on UK appliances a few weeks back, even ones that dotty refers to in the above link as being 'sealed' (I just cut 'em off).

Aussie plugs are available in any hardware store - I paid about $1.70 each for them. The fella behind the counter even volunteered to give me a quick lesson on how to do it (even though the packaging gave good illustrations on the back if needed)

The 4-way gang things are a good idea initially. Still using one to run my computer/monitor/speakers/usb hard drive off.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

thanx everyone for your advice

Steph