Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Plugging phone brought from UK into Australian phone socket

Plugging phone brought from UK into Australian phone socket

Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

saintyc will become famous soon enough
Default Plugging phone brought from UK into Australian phone socket

I know this has come up loads of times, but I just cannot seem to find the answer that I am looking for.

We have rented a place that has 3 surface mount sockets 611 (I think that is what they are looking on the Tandy website here in Oz).

What adapters would I need to plug in my phone that I have brought from the UK into this type of socket?

Chris
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:38 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plugging phone brought from UK into Australian phone socket

I seem to recall that UK phones will work but that the ring may not be audible. Also, it is illegal. Get new phones is the best advice.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure they will work at all to be honest. We left ours behind but I'm sure I've read on here that they don't match up at all.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

saintyc;7273306
you can replace the 610 socket with a RJ45 wall socket or skirt socket the cable coming from outside you only need the white & blue, if your using a RJ45 then match colour for colour, meaning blue on incoming to blue on RJ45 socket then white on incoming cable to white connecor on RJ45. then the phone cable should have a RJ11 already on the cable just simply plug in the phone & hope it works
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:32 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayr
I seem to recall that UK phones will work but that the ring may not be audible. Also, it is illegal. Get new phones is the best advice.
Illegal? I doubt you can go to jail for it.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:07 am
Just Joined

NIGELINOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Probably wouldn't actually go to jail but it certainly is an offense under the
Telecommunications Act to connect an unapproved device to the telephone network.,so unless the particular phone is a model which is already on sale in Australia and therefore has been approved for use by Telstra it would be illegal to use it in Australia.
See:
http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1687
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:18 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of things that are illegal for which you will not go to jail.

Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:22 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Nope. But you could end up in a situation where there's a fault on your phone line and the repairer spots your unlicenced device and decides it's easier to blame that than to fix the line (which means all the cost falls on you). Sure, it may be an unlikely risk, but it's a risk. Up to you.

Personally, I went out and bought a cheap Aussie phone. And I don't have any problem wiring up phone cables... done loads of them. It's just less hassle.

Cheers
b
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

for people doing there phone wiring, its illegal you must have a telecommunications license to be able to install phone/data cabling even in the home. if there is a fault then Telstra wont touch it even there line so be careful in what you do at home. i know you may say its ok, it is until something goes belly up then its all down to you who installed the cabling.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

If they have caller display..... that will not work either
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:33 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
for people doing there phone wiring, its illegal you must have a telecommunications license to be able to install phone/data cabling even in the home. if there is a fault then Telstra wont touch it even there line so be careful in what you do at home. i know you may say its ok, it is until something goes belly up then its all down to you who installed the cabling.
It's illegal to run a telephone extension or a computer network cable around your house?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, if I am up in court on a 'using a UK phone in an Aussie house' charge could I blame the Foxtel engineer who picked it up and plugged it in so he could register my system?

I told him it was a UK phone and it didn't have the correct cable but he took one out of his bag of tricks and plugged it in.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

artankoala;

its not worth the hassle mate get new ones
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by benlast
Nope. But you could end up in a situation where there's a fault on your phone line and the repairer spots your unlicenced device and decides it's easier to blame that than to fix the line (which means all the cost falls on you). Sure, it may be an unlikely risk, but it's a risk. Up to you.

Personally, I went out and bought a cheap Aussie phone. And I don't have any problem wiring up phone cables... done loads of them. It's just less hassle.

Cheers
b
So I was right. It's not illegal.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NIGELINOZ
Probably wouldn't actually go to jail but it certainly is an offense under the
Telecommunications Act to connect an unapproved device to the telephone network.,so unless the particular phone is a model which is already on sale in Australia and therefore has been approved for use by Telstra it would be illegal to use it in Australia.
See:
http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1687
Exactly my point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.